SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Finding my original firmware again? New Topic
Melissa
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/16/2017 1:22:00 PM # 1
I got this router about 2 years ago and it came with Merlin firmware. I THOUGHT that it wasn't running at highest power, so like an idiot, I updated the firmware to Asus. Well it lost 10db at my pc end and seems to run slower now too!

How can I locate the original Merlin firmware?

I don't even want the latest, on the chance that they reduced the power output or messed it up in other ways.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
UK Sentinel
Level :
Tech Points : 421
Posted:5/16/2017 2:06:00 PM # 2
@Melissa - Rmerlin firmware for your model can be found in the link below..

Hope this helps and it is a case of just loading the firmware and reset router to factory default and build from scratch, not from backup config,

Note: Asus have introduced a firmware restriction in that some older version (including RMerlin I believe) cannot be loaded due to regulatory wifi requirements, so you may have to load older firmware whilst router is in recovery mode.

Likewise, older firmware maybe less secure, so a balanced decision is needed ;-)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin#2324w3jh7e4q4

UK Sentinel

Melissa
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/17/2017 12:35:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: UK Sentinel Posted: 5/16/2017 2:06:00 PM

@Melissa - Rmerlin firmware for your model can be found in the link below..

Hope this helps and it is a case of just loading the firmware and reset router to factory default and build from scratch, not from backup config,

Note: Asus have introduced a firmware restriction in that some older version (including RMerlin I believe) cannot be loaded due to regulatory wifi requirements, so you may have to load older firmware whilst router is in recovery mode.

Likewise, older firmware maybe less secure, so a balanced decision is needed ;-)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin#2324w3jh7e4q4

UK Sentinel

I'm not familiar with some of your terms here - not a network tech, just a home user. When I updated it with the Asus firmware, I had to re-enter the password for EVERY device in the house, PLUS my mobile phone, with which I use the Airmore app to transfer photos over the wifi. It was a royal pain.

Not sure what you mean by "cannot be loaded". You mean installed? What regulatory requirements?

I understand that there are power output regulations in some countries, but this is the U.S. and I thought we allow 1000mw, so I want to be able to use the full output anyway, and not be saddled with the lowest common denominator of other places.

My whole wifi setup here is on 5GHz now - I did that myself, even though I'm not a network tech.

How would it be less secure, as long as I have a good password? Doesn't it firewall?

UK Sentinel
Level :
Tech Points : 421
Posted:5/17/2017 1:33:00 AM # 4
>Understood, worth getting to know routers better if you have the time.>I'm not familiar with some of your terms here - not a network tech, just a home user. When I updated it with the Asus firmware, I had to re-enter the password for EVERY device in the house, PLUS my mobile phone, with which I use the Airmore app to transfer photos over the wifi. It was a royal pain. 

"One does not drive a boat", but we all know what is means", routers are not computers and terminology is slightly different like flashing a router etc.
Not sure what you mean by "cannot be loaded". You mean installed? What regulatory requirements?

Netgear vs ASUS - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-vs-Asus/td-p/503592
I understand that there are power output regulations in some countries, but this is the U.S. and I thought we allow 1000mw, so I want to be able to use the full output anyway, and not be saddled with the lowest common denominator of other places.

As firmware (router software) matures, security fixes are applied in the coding and subsequent features - these are captured in the change log: much like pc software is updated for security reasons.
How would it be less secure, as long as I have a good password? Doesn't it firewall?

Hope this helps?

UK Sentinel

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.