Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-AC66U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Weird admin console issue New Topic
tony.v
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/4/2017 1:48:00 AM # 1
>Hi all, I'm new so please be gentle with me. I've had an RT-AC66U for a couple of years now, but initially used it with Tomato firmware on recommendation from a friend.>
>Having just upgraded my broadband, I found that tomato was limiting WAN throughput to about 75% of the max, so I reflashed the router with ASUS native firmware, latest version (3.0.0.4.380_7378).>
>All is good in that the router is up and running, and throughput is back to full line speed, BUT I have this strange problem whereby the admin console via HTTP kicks me out every time I try to apply certain config changes - it's most repeatable with parental controls but also happened when setting up reserved DHCP addresses and when viewing the active client list.>
>I'm using Edge in windows 10 predominantly, but I've tried it with Chrome, Firefox and IE, all with the same problems. So - is this a known issue or do I have some corruption in the firmware install?>
>Many thanks in advance :)>
>Tony

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
UK Sentinel
Level :
Tech Points : 421
Posted:5/4/2017 2:51:00 AM # 2
It sounds like corruption to myself, If you was running Tomato and then flashed back to ASUSWRT, was the router in recovery/rescue mode when you did this?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030652/

I tend to first flash older firmware and then load later version, just to be safe

Hope this helps?

UK Sentinel

UK Sentinel
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 2:51:00 AM # 3
>
>Duplicate due to slow Forum - ignore

UK Sentinel

tony.v
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 3:00:00 AM # 4
>When the router was still running tomato, I erased NVRAM then put it into rescue mode before flashing the ASUS firmware using the ASUS recovery utility.>
>Is it possible to downgrade these things via the console GUI, or would I need to put an earlier version of firmware on by the use of rescue mode again?>
>Thanks for your help :)

tony.v
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 3:02:00 AM # 5
Also - if anyone can recommend a firmware version that definitely does not have this issue on this router I'll find it and download in readiness.....

UK Sentinel
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 3:23:00 AM # 6
It is upto certain point with firmware versions and what you have done sounds sensible,

but I would start with an earlier firmware in rescue mode, just to be safe.

UK Sentinel

tony.v
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 4:02:00 AM # 7
>Just tried downgrading to 3.0.0.4.380_4180 from late last year, from rescue mode.>
>Installed fine, config loaded back in fine,  Same problem.  Can't make any meaningful slightly advanced changes to the damn thing because it kicks me back to the login screen when "apply" is hit.>
>I'm on a PC, running windows 10 home 64bit, wired to the router via a netgear gigabit switch.  I up/down graded the router via a laptop running windows 10 pro 64bit directly connected via Ethernet to port 1 of the router.  The process went as per instructions.>
>I tried using the ASUS router app for IOS on an iPad, and that allows me to connect, but with extremely limited functionality.>
>It's doing my head in to be honest.  Any alternative firmware out there apart from Tomato (which appears to have some limit or negative impact on throughput, but the console is rock solid :) ) or native ASUS fw? 

UK Sentinel
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 2:52:00 PM # 8
After you load the older firmware it sounds like you are loading all your previous settings from a back-up config file

Try restoring to this version (ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9135) from rescue mode and allow to reboot, then load the latest asuswrt firmware via GUI/UI and then configure router from scratch, not from backup

We have all been there so many times,

Enjoy ;-)

UK Sentinel

tony.v
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 4:24:00 PM # 9
>Many thanks for your help - I has resolved the issue.  It wasn't an issue with the hardware or firmware as it turns out,  just the humanware operating it all.>
>Because of the way that Tomato firmware builds are named and labelled, it had AC firmware on it.  So I naturally assumed it was an AC (remember I put this in originally about 2-3 years ago, and can't normally remember what I had for breakfast)>
>So - I finally thought I'd check the label on the router, just to validate whether it was a, b1 or b1/a1 release hw, and right at the edge of the first (blind) photo I took I saw the model  number - RT-N66U.>
>Doh!>
>So, this morning I've reflashed it with the correct firmware and all is good.  Console is more responsive and I don't get kicked out doing the same actions as last night.>
>Apologies for the wild goose chase - and thanks again for your help :)>
>Tony

UK Sentinel
Level :
Posted:5/4/2017 6:33:00 PM # 10
That is good news as I was running out of ideas of how to fix your problem

Glad as is working.

"Such Fun"

UK Sentinel

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.