SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Latest Firmware 2/15/17 causing WAN connection to drop New Topic
HDCL
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:2/27/2017 3:22:00 AM # 1
After I updated to the latest firmware from 2/15/17, My Internet connection started dropping every 2 hours or so. I had Comcast come in and they replaced all the cables and fittings. The signal levels to the modem improved but I was still getting drops. I thought the cable modem had gone bad so I replaced it with a new one. The previous times the connection got dropped, there were error messages in the modem logs. Now after the Comcast tech visit and the new modem, there are no error messages in the modem log. My connections was still getting lost every 6 - 8 hours. The modem and the router have to be rebooted to restore Internet connectivity. Last night, I downgraded to the last firmware release from July, 2016 and so far my uptime has been almost 18 hours. Is anyone else experiencing this with the latest firmware? I had NOT factory reset the router settings and started from scratch after the flash to the latest firmware - is that a requirement?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
southernclipper
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:2/27/2017 9:55:00 AM # 2
Factory reset should be performed after a firmware update. Any custom changes should be made manually after the factory reset. I have not updated to the latest f/w so I cannot tell you if that was your problem but I can tell you, werid things can happen when you do not perform a factory reset after a update. Most manufacturers require the same procedure.

tgm1024
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:2/27/2017 11:40:00 AM # 3
I've been suffering through a very similar fight, but with my AC-RT68U (actually the amazon version: AC-RT68A).

@southernclipper, I assume that factory-resetting (holding down the button on the back for longer than 10 seconds or some-such?) is the next thing I should try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

HDCL
Level :
Posted:3/3/2017 8:33:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: southernclipper Posted: 2/27/2017 9:55:00 AM

Factory reset should be performed after a firmware update. Any custom changes should be made manually after the factory reset. I have not updated to the latest f/w so I cannot tell you if that was your problem but I can tell you, werid things can happen when you do not perform a factory reset after a update. Most manufacturers require the same procedure.

Well, I went back to the old firmware on Sunday and so far I have had zero drops with 5+ days of uptime. I don't have the time to do a factory reset and redo all my settings - especially renaming all of my DHCP clients in the network map so that I know what the heck they are instead of generic names. There was nothing major fixed in the latest release that was of value to me except the Network Map renaming bug which is an irritation more than a show stopper.

evoker
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/5/2017 6:05:00 PM # 5
Unfortunately I seem to have the same problem with the latest firmware:>ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266>
>Asus had some issues "fixed" in this update but apparently they broke the total wan interface. I think the firewall freezes due to too many loops related to multicasting packets.>The lan multicasting should never be addressed by the wan interface in the first place, I think...>This is the only difference in general in the log compared to the working previous firmware log.>I could be totally on the wrong track but the fact that this update causes the router to freeze after a couple of hours is still relevant for Asus to be taken seriously as I believe much more customers will have this very same problem.>
>The multicast type is avahi or Apple's bonjour with its specific address:>
>

kernel: DROP  <4>DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= <1>SRC=*WAN_IP_ADDRESS* DST=224.0.0.251 <1>LEN=74 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP <1>SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=54 

>
>

evoker
Level :
Posted:3/6/2017 2:40:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: HDCL Posted: 3/3/2017 8:33:00 AM

Quote:

Well, I went back to the old firmware on Sunday and so far I have had zero drops with 5+ days of uptime. I don't have the time to do a factory reset and redo all my settings - especially renaming all of my DHCP clients in the network map so that I know what the heck they are instead of generic names. There was nothing major fixed in the latest release that was of value to me except the Network Map renaming bug which is an irritation more than a show stopper.

It sounds you are a little relieved that there are no changes you are missing in the older fw. Well I can agree but if no one makes a deal of this I'm afraid this "bad fix" that causes the wan to drop permanently will remain and taken over in future releases. What more have you done to make ASUS review this fw update? Cheers

Rtuser
Level :
Posted:3/14/2017 10:22:00 PM # 7
Has been hit by the same. I had flashed my RT-N66U with this new firmware and got WAN drops every few hours. I have not set to factory settings after update. To shortterm solve my problem, I restored the before installed firmware to router and it becomes a very stable device again, running for a couple of days without any drop. Before fw was version 380.3831. Then I used a brand-new RT-N66u router, buyed as a spare device and never used before and flashed it with the 380.7266 firmware. Afterwards I resetted it to factory default. Then using NVRAM restore tool and updated my user settings from my other RT-N66U router in migration mode. Router was running for 18h before droping the WAN connection the first time. WAN properties side in router GUI showed that the DHCP lease coming from my ISP has been expired. Lease duration was 1 hour, but router runs for 18h nevertheless. The lease was not renewed in time and probably IP was reused by another device at ISP so my connection was dropped. After reconnect WAN , I got a new lease with new IP, for expiering in 30 minutes. Again it has expired and not renewed in time. Again the connection is still working, but the next drop will happen very sure in a few hours then. For my understanding the issue is with the DHCP client on router, which is responsible for connect to ISP. It is harmed by new firmware and don't work correctly anymore.

Stricky
Level :
Posted:3/16/2017 12:13:00 AM # 8
>Posting a Me Too.
I had this same issue, with the router spontaneously dropping connection to the WAN and freezing on certain menu screens on 380.7266. Modem was reporting all green, Wifi card was fine, couldn't figure out what was going on to cause this, so I did a little digging and found these reports. Tried factory reset, manually re-entered all settings, still no joy. Rolled back to 380.3831, where I had been for months without any issues, and all disconnect problems vanished overnight.

HDCL
Level :
Posted:3/22/2017 12:23:00 AM # 9
>Does anyone think this change in the firmware changelog is causing a problem since this seems to happen every 1.5 - 3 hours (poorly implemented automatic standby mode)? >
>Modification
- Added automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive. >
>For those with the latest firmware installed, is there a new setting to turn this automatic standby mode off?

HDCL
Level :
Posted:3/22/2017 12:38:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: evoker Posted: 3/6/2017 2:40:00 AM

Quote:
Author: HDCL Posted: 3/3/2017 8:33:00 AM

Quote:

It sounds you are a little relieved that there are no changes you are missing in the older fw. Well I can agree but if no one makes a deal of this I'm afraid this "bad fix" that causes the wan to drop permanently will remain and taken over in future releases. What more have you done to make ASUS review this fw update? Cheers

I sent ASUS a tech support email request via their website with the details and also referenced this forum thread.  Lets see if anyone responds

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.