Obysk
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/18/2015 12:44:00 PM # 1
Motherboard - ASUS X99 Deluxe
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i
CPU - i7 5930K
Memory - Corsair 16GB DDR4

I just spent the day building a new gaming PC and right from the very first boot I have had a "CPU FAN ERROR" message that appears. I'm then instructed to press F1 to enter setup. I should mention that I have NOT installed Windows 8.1 yet but I have updated the motherboard bios to the most current version (1305). I have not changed any UEFI settings other than the one listed below.

Once inside the UEFI I can see that the CPU FAN isn't recognized (it is greyed out). Worth mention is that the CPU temp seems to be normal, hovers around 30C while in the UEFI.

I have double and tripled checked the installation of the H100i and I will detail here how I have it currently installed.

- both H100i radiator fans connected to the included "Y" connector and plugged into the pump body
- SATA connector from pump body plugged into SATA cable from PSU
- 3-pin RPM connector (really one wire) connected to CPU_FAN header on motherboard (double checked that it is actually plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not the CPU_OPT header)
- Corsair Link cable plugged into pump body and other end plugged into USB2.0 motherboard header

As far as I can tell the H100i has been installed correctly. I did some searching before posting here and noticed that some people have had success with one of the following fixes.

- setting the CPU fan speed low limit to either 200RPM or Ignore
I tried making both of these changes in the UEFI and I still got the CPU fan error.
- setting the system to ignore any errors and bypass the "missing" fan speed input
I'm hesitant to try this because I know that the pump RPM is important information for my motherboard to have. Not to mention I'm sure once I have Windows installed and Corsair Link loaded the pump RPM would be required. Also, I'm not really interested in a "work-around" as I would feel much better if this operated as intended.

I plan on making a similar post in the Corsair forum but I wanted to post this here as well in the hopes of any information that may help. Thank you for any help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Obysk
Level :
Posted:2/18/2015 12:56:00 PM # 2
I see that a new BIOS version has been released today, 1401, of course after I was on the Asus website this morning to download 1305. I will update to 1401 tomorrow and await any replies until then.

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 21258
Posted:2/18/2015 11:15:00 PM # 3
Hi O..

When the CPU fan switch is greyed out, that generally indicates that the system can not see a fan connected to the header.. and although that can be a problem with the board, is more likely a problem with the cooler cabling..  You might contact Corsair as there have been many problems with the H series products...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Obysk
Level :
Posted:2/19/2015 3:26:00 AM # 4
Thank you for responding Ulrich,

Last night during my own preliminary troubleshooting I did plug the rear case fan into the CPU_FAN header and I plugged the H100i RPM wire to the CPU_OPT header. I did not receive the CPU fan error message (because the rear case fan was plugged in), but upon entering the UEFI I noticed that the H100i RPM wire was not recognized in the CPU_OPT location. This indicates to me that both the CPU_FAN header and the CPU_OPT header are working correctly when a normal case fan is used and that the unrecognized fan is following the location of the H100i RPM wire.

This is leading me to believe that the H100i RPM circuit is faulty, as connecting a normal case fan to the CPU_FAN header alleviated the CPU fan error message. The members of the Corsair forum have suggested that I try the H100i RPM wire on a regular CASE_FAN header and see if the pump RPM is recognized in the UEFI. If the pump RPM is still not recognized within the UEFI then I guess I will try getting a warranty replacement of the H100i.

Thanks once again and I will post here to follow-up with what I discover.

Obysk
Level :
Posted:2/19/2015 11:21:00 AM # 5
I just tried two more troubleshooting steps this evening:

1 - Updated BIOS to the most current version (1401)
No change, still experiencing CPU Fan Error message and no pump RPM within UEFI

2 - Plugged the H100i RPM wire into CAS_FAN header
No change, still experiencing CPU Fan Error message and no pump RPM within UEFI

I have confirmed that when a case fan is plugged into CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, or CAS_FAN header the UEFI recognizes the fans RPM but when the H100i is plugged into those same headers the UEFI sees no RPM. This confirms that all of the fan headers on the motherboard operate correctly, but for whatever reason the motherboard won't see the H100i pump RPM.

I feel it necessary to reiterate the fact that my PC is in a pre-operating system state and is completely stock (no OS installed/not overclocked/no UEFI changes made).

I have opened support tickets with both Corsair and Asus and will update here with my findings.

bobfrost
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 64
Posted:2/19/2015 5:18:00 PM # 6
I've had the same problem with a corsair H80i. Yesterday it suddenly started overheating at bootup and I got the Cpu fan error message. After playing about, I seem to have cured it by connecting the plug into the other socket on the top of the corsair unit. I don't use the Corsair link. A previous H80i overheated and had to be replaced as the circulating pump was not working.

I shan't buy another Corsair unit; there seem to be a lot of problems with them. I'll go back to the Intel water cooling unit that has been running fine in another computer for two or three years.

Bob Frost

Saltgrass
Level :
Tech Points : 246
Posted:2/19/2015 10:56:00 PM # 7
Have you tried changing any settings in the Bios, such as Disabling the Q-Fan control?  I am wondering if the system is not sensing an actual load on the CPU fan connector it may be misreading the configuration.

Do you have the USB cable plugged in? 

The power cable is not a problem?  You can hear the pump and see the fans turn?

I don't have the unit, so I can only guess as to what configurations might be available.  Such as, is there a way to connect the two fans together and then plug them into the CPU fan plug?

X99-Pro i7 5930k, Z87-Expert i7 4771, Nvidia GTX 980 (2) Win 7/8/10
billb
Level :
Tech Points : 849
Posted:2/20/2015 2:07:00 PM # 8
It's possible that the PWM controller on the CPU-Fan header is confused by seeing three tachometer readings. Can you try only one fan on the CPU-Fan header?
If that works try two.

You should also be able to disable the CPU-Fan header reading in the BIOS.
In the BIOS Monitor screen click on the CPU-Fan reading and choose Ignore.

As a moderator here my responses are my own and based on my knowledge and experience. I do not work for Asus.
Obysk
Level :
Posted:2/21/2015 3:52:00 AM # 9
I believe there may be some confusion on how the Corsair H100i is designed and installed:

The H100i consists of a water pump, radiator, two fans (which mount onto the radiator), a SATA power connector which comes out of the water pump, a fan connector which allows the two radiator fans to plug into (the radiator fans plug into the H100i pump body itself, not a motherboard header), and a 3pin RPM wire that plugs into the motherboard CPU_FAN header.

There is also an optional mini USB connector that can be installed to allow functionality with the third party Corsair Link software. This optional mini USB connector plugs into the pump body and the other end plugs into a USB2.0 motherboard header.

I believe the problem is with the RPM wire from the pump body itself. I have a support ticket open with Corsair and I believe I may receive warranty replacement of the H100i.

I will post back here with any findings.

Saltgrass
Level :
Tech Points : 246
Posted:2/21/2015 8:18:00 AM # 10
No confusion here...  It doesn't work the way you have it installed....right?

I suggest we leave the USB connector out of the discussion, unless you have not yet tried plugging it in..

Is the Pump actually supposed to change speed when necessary, or just the fans?

Edit:  I was looking at a couple of the other Liquid Coolers from Enermax and Cooler Master and they both seem to connect the fans directly to the CPU Fan Header.  Looks like a different design concept.

Hopefully, replacing the unit will help, but if not you might check for a cooler which incorporates a different configuration.

X99-Pro i7 5930k, Z87-Expert i7 4771, Nvidia GTX 980 (2) Win 7/8/10
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.