Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-AC87U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]RT-AC87U Problems New Topic
bedwards923
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/26/2014 5:21:00 PM # 1
I just got the RT-AC87U router, and went and bought a Asus USB-AC56 wireless adapter. I set up the router, and was able to connect fine on all my devices, but noticed the "ac" network was really slow when trying to load web pages. The connection speed said it was extremely high and I had great signal strength, but for whatever reason, it was a lot slower than the "n" network (on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks). I was looking at the router configuration page settings, when all of a sudden my router just turned off. I turned the power button off and on. It came back on, but shut down again in a minute or two. I tried unplugging the router from the power bar and plug it directly into the wall. Same problem. The router will not stay on for longer than a couple minutes (blue power and WAN LED comes on, WAN LED turns to red, 2.4 GHz blue LED turns on for a second, then the router shuts off). Do I have a bad router...?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
bedwards923
Level :
Posted:10/26/2014 6:54:00 PM # 2
Okay, so I was able to restore the router to default settings, and it seems like it is working okay. It isn't turning off (cross my fingers). However, I still have extremely slow "ac" network on my PC (web pages take ages to load), and I am also having problems with my wireless adapter randomly disconnecting. On my Samsung Galaxy S4, I am hooked up to the 5 GHz network (which should be "ac"), and it is extremely fast, web pages load nicely. So is this USB adapter junk? With an Asus router and adapter, I would not expect such a harsh, troublesome environment. I had to revert to using my old wireless N network adapter, which cuts my speed in half. What is going on here? Am I missing some setup steps or something? I'm really frustrated at this point. Please help :(

bedwards923
Level :
Posted:10/27/2014 2:22:00 AM # 3
Hmm, I plugged my USB-AC56 adapter into the USB 2.0 instead of the 3.0, and everything is working great now. Is USB 3.0 known to have problems with these new adapters?

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.