ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > SABERTOOTH Z77  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]USB 3.0 20 pin header can't power drive? New Topic
Howard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 9
Posted:11/15/2012 11:17:00 AM # 1
So my case has 1 front usb 3 port, but it was made before usb 3.0 headers were normal, so previously you had to run the cable to the rear of the case and plug it directly into another usb 3.0 port.   With this motherboard I purchased a 2 Port USB 3.0 to 20 Pin Adapter and plugged the USB 3 cable into it.

The problem is it doesn't look like its giving enough power to my WD Passport USB 3 drive.  I have no problems using a usb 2 cable and the computer reads the drive fine, but when I try with the usb 3 cable the drive lights up and it sounds like windows is trying to read it but nothing ever happens.

I know the drive is good because when I plug it into a rear usb 3 port it runs fine.   Is the from 20 pin header not giving enough juice?  is the adapter I bought bad?

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18419
Posted:11/21/2012 1:31:00 AM # 2
Hi H...

These drives are apparently powered by +5vdc.. which is available for all USB ports...  so I don't believe power is the issue.. especially since the drive works fine when connected to a rear port..  

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/AAG/ENG/4178-705230.pdf

There is apparently some connectivity issue with the front panel ports or wiring.. most likely a data connectivity issue.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.