Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P9X79 PRO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]P9X79 Pro USB 3.0 ports New Topic
Peter
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:11/5/2012 1:45:00 AM # 1
Hi, I have Asus P9X79 Pro and all four USB 3.0 ports on the back panel suddenly slowed down to the speed of USB 2.0. Interestingly, the USB 3.0 ports on the front panel still work with the proper USB 3.0 speed. All of them were tested with at least 3 different peripheral products: 2 different USB 3.0 memory card readers and an external USB 3.0 HDD. Here is my exact configuration: Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 PRO Rev 1.xx BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3009 10/05/2012 Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) It's really strange, because according to ASUS technical support there are only 2 USB controllers on this motherboard, one for USB 3.0 and another one for all USB 2.0, so logically all USB 3.0 should act exactly the same, but they don't. I played with BIOS a bit, turned on and off all USB legacy support, but it didn't change anything. Then I decided to try it with Windows 8 Pro x64, installed on a separate drive, but it didn't change the situation either. Any suggestions? Your replies will be appreciated. Regards, Peter

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18232
Posted:11/11/2012 12:56:00 AM # 2
Hi Peter..

How are you determining that the USB 3.0 ports are slowing down...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
ppsych
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/3/2012 3:49:00 AM # 3
Hi Guys!>
>It has turned out today that my rig suffers from the very same problem. The front USB 3.0 ports (ie. those connected to the blue mobo header) work as expected, while the other two located on the backplate reach only about 30MBps, as USB2 should do. I found it by accident, testing speed of my new Sandisk Extreme 3.0 pendrive. To be honest, I don't know whether this applies to Win7 too, as I spotted if for the first time on Win8. There's no way to update USB3 drivers, as there are not any apart from current, built-in Microsoft ones. The latest BIOS (3102) makes no change.>
>Thx in advance for any help!>
>Greetings>Paul

P9X79PRO, i73930K, ASUS Radeon HD7970, Vertex4 256G, 16G (4x4) RAM Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9
Howard
Level :
Tech Points : 1253
Posted:12/3/2012 12:10:00 PM # 4
That is actually not correct
There are ASM drivers you must install (three times to be safe)

>There are no Intel USB 3.0 ports on this mobo
>There are 2 ASM 3.0 ports from the mobo 20 pin connector
>On a second ASM Controller there are 2 ASM 3.0 USB blue ports in back (#6 in manual)
>On a third ASM controller there are 2 more USB 3.0 blue ports in back (#8 in manual)
> There are also a pair of ASM eSATA ports - green

You must have ASM USB 3 controller enabled in onboard devices
You must have legacy USB 3 support disabled
After making these settings you should:
Rerun Intel chipset tool 9.3.xxxx and reboot
Run ASM driver install 3 times 1.16.2.0
http://www.overclock.net/t/1193055/asus-x79-series-information-thread-drivers-bioses-overclocking-updated-11-30
You should then see them as ASM xHCI in USB in dev man

Clarence
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 75
Posted:12/6/2012 12:40:00 AM # 5
Hello Howard:  I have read several of your posts and am appealing dirctly to you.  I have a P9X79 Pro, recently installed and just a few minor issues, but you solved most of them on this thread.

What I would like to ask you is how important is it to upgrade the ASM1042 firmware?  You offered links to the latest firmware, which I have downloaded and opened the read file.  There aren't any specifics other than what to enter in DOS to initiate the upgrade.

Could you point us to where we can get the step by step instruct on creating a USB DOS booter?  I know that simply unzipping the file to the USB is part of it, but I don't know about getting the DOS portion onto the USB.  Once the USB DOS booter with the firmware exe file on it is ready, just hit the F8 and boot from it?  Will initiating the firmware upgrade exe then do the trick?

I've made other USB boot booter drives, but none having DOS on it.

Will using the USB 3.0 drive for the asm firmware upgrade work too?

Please point us to the best place to get a USB DOS booter.

Thank you,
Clarence

Howard
Level :
Tech Points : 1253
Posted:12/7/2012 9:36:00 AM # 6
One of the probs I have with giving the overclock.net link for all up to date drivers - up to the very day - is that they also include the firmware updates. No normal PC user should ever have to update any BIOS firmware (modding).

If I had to update firmware to get my computer functioning - I would buy a Dell instead. If any fw update were critical ASUS would put it in the very next bios. You would have to do nothing, except wait.

Guys who spend all their time modding, are prob more interested in the computer, than in USING the computer.

As far as USB pure DOS booters
You can use the HP tool
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool-Download-123786.html

It basically puts an image on the USB root that contains cmd.com and the DOS sys files MSDOS.sys and IO.sys - which you can get from any Win 98 setup disk
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool-Download-123786.html

However, if you have to ask about how to make a USB booter, you will prob get into trouble with firmware updates

And fwiw, never do anything DOS related with USB 3.0 - no USB 3.0 drives, no USB 3 legacy enabled. Only USB 2 sticks in USB 2 Intel ports

Kok
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:3/11/2013 5:42:00 PM # 7
Thanks Howard !>
>But shouldn't the second line be changed in :>
>"You must have legacy USB support disabled"  ?>
>If not, I don't understand it. As formulated before it's a contradiction with the first line.>
>Another question: should EHCI Hand-off  be enabled or disabled ?>
>Jan

Saltgrass
Level :
Tech Points : 183
Posted:3/15/2013 7:16:00 AM # 8
I have been looking at an X79 board and seem to get the impression that the USB 3.0 is a problem area, and not just for ASUS.

But the manual seems to be confusing about exactly what USB 3.0 controllers on on the board.  Has the following been corrected, or is there a Via controller.  If VIA doesn't mean a controller brand, what exactly does it mean.

There do not appear to be any "Via" USB drivers available for download.

"4x USB 3.0/2.0 ports at back panel with 1x additional VIA
  SuperSpeed USB hub controller (blue)"

P8Z77-V Pro i7 3770k, Z87-Expert i7 4771, Nvidia GTX 680 (2) Win 7/8
Saltgrass
Level :
Tech Points : 183
Posted:3/17/2013 2:24:00 PM # 9
No one has given any feedback, but I just checked the Intel site.  The X79 chipset is not even listed.  Desktop boards with the X79 chipset are listed.

I looks to me like the X79 chipset is dead in the water and I would not buy a board with that chipset....  If anyone has a different perspective, please reply.

P8Z77-V Pro i7 3770k, Z87-Expert i7 4771, Nvidia GTX 680 (2) Win 7/8
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :