ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Some devices are not detecting wireless network New Topic
Gromy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/20/2012 9:46:00 AM # 1
I've just bought a RT-N56U router. I am experiencing a weird issue as some devices can't find my wireless network. Some devices like Iphone, laptops are able to detect my wireless network..My laptop can detect both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks...but some other devices like Sony Xperia S (mobile), IP Camera cant detect this wireless network though I could able to detect my other wireless network (using DLink modem). Channel,wireless mode,b-g set to Auto mode and bandwidth set to 40Mhz. Can anyone pls help me to resolve this issue? I have tried b/g mixed mode as well and updated to latest firmware 1.0.1.8 l but no luck.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Remo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 60
Posted:9/20/2012 11:36:00 PM # 2
That topic, again ;)

Let's make an educated guess: Your mobile devices plus the IP camera only work on 2.4 GHz band, either g or n mode. Since your laptop can see both network I guess it is not a hardware fault. You might not know this and might not have searched the forum, but not all channels work in every country. I do not know what country restrictions on WiFi there are where you live, but I could suppose that Channel 13 is not allowed.

Now let's look into a realistic scenario: You choose "Auto" for channel selection, all your neighbors use WiFi (mostly 2.4 GHz Band) and Channels like 1,5,8 etc... Upon discovery by your smart router, it decides to use a less frequented band instead - for example Channel 13.

Unfortunately, there is no strict policy on device wifi chipsets how to determine the current location. Some will take the timezone, some will listen for Wifi Beacons (notably Mac's) and some have a fix country code builtin. If you are interested, you might want to sniff some packets in passive mode; that way, you could see the country code beacons from surrounding stations in a short time. Therefore it might be, that your devices, for some reasons, reside in a state where they are not allowed to listen to Channel 13 - so they won't see it.

Oh and I would suggest not to use a 40 MHz bandwidth in a crowded area, since it decreases the network range and stability by overlap with other signals.

So what should you do to test that hypothesis? Select a channel on your own router. Use one of the following, since only those do not overlap with other channels: 1,5,9 or, if you still want to use 40 MHz bandwidth: Channel 3 or 11.

Good Luck!

Gromy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/24/2012 8:34:00 AM # 3
Thanks Remo for your detailed and prompt reply, your solutions works and solved my issue. I have used inSSider tool to find a less congested channel. I am using 5+9 channels now. Sorry for any trouble to you guys. Thanks once again Gromy

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.