ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8Z77-V DELUXE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Bios 1504 hangs in Q-Code 99 (Fast Boot and Win8) New Topic
hansii99
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:8/13/2012 4:36:00 PM # 1
Hello,
first the new Bios 1504 is perfect in Windows 8 with the new FAST BOOT Feature.
The drive initialization in the internal SATA - Controllers and one external SATA-Controller (Highpoint 2700 in nonRaid - Mode) is nearly zero, the system start is now really fast.

But i have one problem:
After "shut down" down the WIN8-System and restarting with the power button the Motherboard hangs in Q-Code 99 (Super IO Initialization) !!
After pressing the "Reset Button" the Fast boot works perfect.

Remarks:
- Not Overclocking !
- The Fast Boot work perfect after WIN-8 Restart
- CMOS clear does not help.
- Removing CMOS - Batterie does not help.
- disable USB 3.0 legacy mode does not help.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
hansii99
Level :
Posted:8/13/2012 11:38:00 PM # 2
Update:
After several tests I found, that the hang in Q-Code "99" comes up when in the setting: Marvell Storage OPROM = disable.

After setting the Marvell Storage OPROM to  enable, no hang anymore.

Disadvantage: The result of the marvell disk init is displayed, now there are about 3 sec more additional boot time.

Regards

RVirtue
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 49
Posted:8/14/2012 12:05:00 AM # 3
Yup. See also the thread at http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20120811201203600&board_id=1&model=P8Z77-V+DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Results with disabling the Marvell OPROM seem to be inconsistent, but it's not entirely clear what other contributing factors are involved. Do you have a drive (bootable or otherwise) connected to either of the Marvell SATA ports?

hansii99
Level :
Posted:8/14/2012 5:41:00 AM # 4
Yes, on my board on the two Marvell, and the 6 Intel - SATA - Ports are single JBOD - Disks connected.
The boot SSD's are connected to the 6G Intel - Ports.
No disks on the Asmedia - Controller.

Regards

RVirtue
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 49
Posted:8/14/2012 9:40:00 AM # 5
Interesting. The other poster (TheAwesome) was getting Q-Code A2 whenever a drive was connected with the Marvell OPROM disabled. In my own case, I saw no Q-Code error at all and the system booted normally (and quickly without showing the Marvell "normal mode" boot screen) but the Marvell-connected drives themselves (2 x WD 1TB SATA3 Caviar Black) became available only after the OS (Win7x64) was loaded. Like you, my SSD boot drive is connected on one of the Intel 6G ports and the other Intel 6G port handles another WD SATA3 spindle for data only. Probably irrelevant, but my Intel 520 SSD boot drive is C: volume only WITHOUT any system reserved partition.

It's almost as if the three of us are using entirely different BIOSes, but 1504 was also my version and 1504 was tried by "TheAwesome" as well. Very strange. Different mobo revisions perhaps??? (Mine's Rev 1.02) Poor ASUS quality control???

Possible clue(?) or just adding to the mystery: I have noticed some major HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\MultifunctionAdapter key differences in the system registry depending on whether the boot occurs after a soft reset or a hard shutdown. In my own case, for example, the latter sometimes even produces a non-existant floppy disk peripheral entry! If nothing else, it seems to suggest that the BIOS is generating inconsistent hardware information and passing it along to the OS. Perhaps it's also deceiving itself.

TheAwesome
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/14/2012 2:44:00 PM # 6
My revision is 1.02 also. My SSD (Also connected to one of the Intel data 6g ports) is also an Intel 520. On the other Intel 6G I have a WD Green HDD. My system partition is on the SSD, unlike yours. But I tested with no drives (except one on the marvell port) connected and had the same problems. To the OP (whose name is not on my screen currently), Is your bios 1404 or 1504? The title says 1404 but I thought you then said 1504 in your first post.

HHC
Administrator
Level :
Tech Points : 9939
Posted:8/21/2012 11:10:00 AM # 7
hansii99 and Theawesome, do you mind to list what SATA devices are connected to whichever SATA port in your case, as well as the list of changes made to the BIOS configuration, so I can help my Asus contact to retest this issue again.

本討論區中並沒有華碩客服人員進駐,若您在討論區無法找到適切的答案,或是希望直接與華碩工程師對話時,請透過技術支援表單詢問。網址:http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
華碩「筆記型電腦」與「EEE PC」的使用者也可以透過線上即時交流系統(目前為測試中)與華碩工程師線上即時交流。網址:http://vip.asus.com/im_tw/imLogin.aspx
服務時間:週一至週五(09:00 - 18:00)
hansii99
Level :
Posted:8/22/2012 6:01:00 PM # 8
Thank you, for forcing this problem.
First, I have done many test, to find a simple configuration, where this stop exits. I reduced my system to avoid to produce to many config data.

Remarks:
- As mentioned in post 1, the halt is only after an shutdown, a system restart (here is the fast boot active) have no problem !
- When Marvel Storage OPROM is enabled --> no problem
- the OS is Win8-Pro x64
- Bios 1504
- depending on how many Disk controllers or Disks Drives are active, there are different Q-code hangs (99, A2, 64)

Test-Configuration:
- all internal devices (usb 3.0, asmedio, lan ...) except Marvell Storage are disabled
- no Raid on Marvell Storage

Test-Config 1 (2 disks):
- SDD OCZ-Vertex3 112 GB Firmware 2.22 on Intel Z77 SATA6G_E1
- Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 on Marvell SATA6G_E1

--> Halt with Q-Code 64 after Win8 Shutdown and restart with power button

Test-Config 2 (1 disk):
- SDD OCZ-Vertex3 112 GB Firmware 2.22 on Intel Z77 SATA6G_E1
(the marvel is enabled, but no disk)

--> No Halt, everything works fine.

Hopefully this help.

Thanks

hansii99
Level :
Posted:10/16/2012 10:25:00 PM # 9
Hi, Just for information: With Bios 1617 the Q-Code hang (Fast Boot and Marvell Storage OPROM = disable) is gone. This problem is solved, but with OPROM=disable the boot time in the Fast Boot Mode is longer (about 15 sec)!!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.