ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]What Firmware to download and use? New Topic
greig2000_uk
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/9/2012 5:22:00 AM # 1
I have this on just now - 3.0.0.4.154 Before this I had - FW_RT_N56U_1018f on(from Asus support site) I now have FW_RT_N56U_1018i (from Asus support site)to try next. What is the top firmware, is it official/beta/tested/custom? any help/info appreciated...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Zainday
Level :
Tech Points : 57
Posted:8/9/2012 8:42:00 AM # 2
I personally have tried almost all of them out there and the newest version of the beta asus wrt is my preference....(v3.0.0.3_165)... It's basically a newer version of the 3.0.0.4.154. https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s?u=GY4IGUHGIL

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561
greig2000_uk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/10/2012 4:11:00 AM # 3
thnx for that but what is the difference between these beta firmwares (where can they be downloaded/discussed)and the oficial firmwares on the asus support site?

Slamb
Level :
Tech Points : 44
Posted:8/10/2012 6:19:00 AM # 4
AsusWRT supports IPv6 and some other features...

Asus Maximus IV Extreme @ uefi 3603 || Asus RT-N56U @ fw 3.0.0.4.334
greig2000_uk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/11/2012 2:24:00 AM # 5
Ahh, thnx for that also :) So AsusWRT or official it makes no difference just personal preference? many thnx

Johnson
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/13/2012 12:24:00 AM # 6
So are these beta's official betas or are they custom?  My previous experiences are with DD-WRT on my last router.  If these are official betas, does anyone have and idea of when the official releases will happen?  Also, when moving to a beta firmware, can I just back up my settings (form 1.0.1.8i) then restore them to the new beta firmware?  Or would I have to go back and redo all of my port forwarding and whatnots manually?  Thanks for the help!

Zainday
Level :
Tech Points : 57
Posted:8/13/2012 12:58:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: Johnson Posted: 8/13/2012 12:24:00 AM

So are these beta's official betas or are they custom?  My previous experiences are with DD-WRT on my last router.  If these are official betas, does anyone have and idea of when the official releases will happen?  Also, when moving to a beta firmware, can I just back up my settings (form 1.0.1.8i) then restore them to the new beta firmware?  Or would I have to go back and redo all of my port forwarding and whatnots manually?  Thanks for the help!

The version you have is the official asus firmware....Then there is asuswrt firmware, which is an official beta (as far as I know)....Then there is padavans custom firmware, similar to dd-wrt...Im not sure when or if asus is planning on replacing the official firmware with their wrt version...As far as settings, you can flash padavans and it will use your settings that you already have, but if you use asuswrt, you will need to resetup your settings....(Any swap of firmware, should be resetup though) Its best or recommended to reset to factory defaults and then flash and resetup...They all can be flashed normally from the gui and you can go back to the official firmware the same way....My personal experience is that the asuswrt seems to be the best firmware...Padavans is really nice looking and has a ton of features, but I (personally) always have issues with dlna errors with my ps3 and streaming...I never have issues with asuswrt and streaming...It actually has really good QOS on it also (which I've never used on prior routers, cause they always capped my bandwidth) but the wrt version works really good....Padavan has removed QOS completely from his versions, but has replaced it with alot of other features. The asuswrt also supports ipv6 (which the others lack)...Hope that helps.... https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s?u=GY4IGUHGIL (Asuswrt latest version) http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N56U_1.1.2.2-006_newgui.zip&can=2&q= (padavans latest version)

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.