Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Using RT-N56U in Bridge Mode New Topic
Rakesh Gupta
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 44
Posted:8/7/2012 9:46:00 PM # 1
Hi

I've Netgear DGND ADSL2+ Modem/Router and Asus RT-N56U Router.

I want to use RT-N56U under Wireless Bridge Mode and as per instructions I configured both DGND3700 ADSL2+ Modem/Router and RT-N56U Router but still I'm not able to connect to Internet.

Can anyone help me in this regard.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Slamb
Level :
Posted:8/8/2012 9:06:00 AM # 2
did you try the latest AsusWRT?

Asus Maximus IV Extreme @ uefi 3603 || Asus RT-N56U @ fw 3.0.0.4.334
Rakesh Gupta
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/9/2012 11:08:00 AM # 3
Yes, I downloaded and reconfigurede Router but no luck. Still not able to get Internet Connectivity.

Nike
Level :
Tech Points : 50
Posted:8/9/2012 3:37:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Slamb Posted: 8/8/2012 9:06:00 AM

did you try the latest AsusWRT?

Can you please provide us with a step-by-step guide ?
Thanks

-----UPDATE-----

I manage to establish a bridge connection between the RT-N66U and the RT-N56U.

It was not that hard, by until you figure it out, you've pulled all your hair.

The conclusion:
1. In order to establish the bridge, you CAN'T use wpa2 or wpa. You must run both the routers with open system. The only security that you can have is the WEP with 64-bit encryption.

2. The speed is half the original WAN speed, so in my case, 100 Mbit gave me on the secondary router 50-60 Mbit/sec.

3.The information that is provided within the RT-N56U, that you can use the security methods (WEP-WPA-WPA2) is incorrect.

4. The mode you should run in is Hybrid, and DON'T tick at "Connect to the AP's in list"

5. This bridge mode is not any good solution.

My solution for my setup, will be to purchase Netgear's Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter.

Link: http://www.netgear.com/wn2500RP#

Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.
scaramonga
Level :
Tech Points : 121
Posted:9/28/2012 3:39:00 AM # 5
Got a Buffalo WHR-G300N set up as an access point bridged to RT-N56U no problems, and both using WPA2 as security, so it does work :)  Set it up as Guest AP/Bridged with AP/WDS, and with Buffalo set as a Slave EC.

Running fine and both on 40Mhz, pretty snappy ;)

System Specs: CM Stacker STC-T01 | Asus Z68 V Pro Gen3 (BIOS 3603) | INTEL Core i7 2600K @ 5Ghz | Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue RAM | Corsair 750W TX PSU | Geforce GTX 580 - EK-FC580 Watercooled | XSPC Drive Bay Res | XSPC Raystorm CPU Watercooled | Swiftech MCR320-QP | Swiftech MCP655 | 1 x Corsair Force GT 120Gb SSD & 3 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500Gb RAID 0 | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | DELL U2410 (Rev A02) | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Tom
Level :
Tech Points : 201
Posted:9/28/2012 10:36:00 AM # 6
I found a way to avoid the whole mess by buying a D-Link PowerLine AV 500 starter kit. It uses household wiring to connect the two PowerLine adapters. I think I have a total of 4 of these in use (you can add additional units on the same network). I set up the cable modem in an upstairs room and connected it to one router. I connected the router to a PowerLine adapter and put the other PowerLine adapter downstairs at the other end of the house. I then plugged my other router into that and set the router to AP mode.

The end result? Strong WPA2-PSK WiFi from one end of the house to the other. The PowerLine adapters are stable and trouble free. Setup literally only required plugging them into the wall and connecting the network cable.

Previous attempts to bridge the routers were simply a pain in the rear. Besides having to lock the router channels, the two tended to lose connectivity at random. I tried several different brands and models of routers/extenders/bridges before going with the PowerLine adapters.

Even though I'm now in a wired house, I still use the PowerLine adapters for connecting stuff that isn't WiFi capable and not near a network connection.

Jacky
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/21/2013 1:38:00 PM # 7
Hi scaramonga,

I am trying to have the same configuration as yours however my buffalo whr-g300n can not find the SSID of my asus N56U.

May i know what kind of setting have you done?

Thanks.

Quote:
Author: scaramonga Posted: 9/28/2012 3:39:00 AM

Got a Buffalo WHR-G300N set up as an access point bridged to RT-N56U no problems, and both using WPA2 as security, so it does work :)  Set it up as Guest AP/Bridged with AP/WDS, and with Buffalo set as a Slave EC.

Running fine and both on 40Mhz, pretty snappy ;)

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.