ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8P67 DELUXE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]System keeps rebooting the ASUS EZ Flash Utility New Topic
snahl
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:5/21/2012 7:23:00 AM # 1

I intended to update the BIOS from v1305 to v3207 using Asus EZ Flash 2 Utility v.01.04.
The MoBo is a P8P67 Deluve B3 Revision (UPC: 601839179619 / ASUS Part#: 90-MIBE2A-G0EAY0KZ)

Now the system keeps returning to the Asus EZ Flash 2 Utility v.01.04 with a Window saying: "Reading failed!"
Reboot does not help, cannot get the system back into operational mode.

For some reason the system keeps restarting with the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility v01.04.
Even after pushing the RESET button and also after removing the battery to clear the CMOS, the system keeps starting up the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility v01.04. over and over.

There is no way to enter the BIOS settings.
Booting from CD does not work either.
I have tried to select the original BIOS (P9P67D.ROM) from the MB SUPPORT CD, but no success.

The Flash Info displays:
Model: P8P67 DELUXE VER: 3207 DATE: 04/02/2012

I am not able to restore any other ROM file from USB Stick.
The Flash Utility says either: 'Image outdated' or 'Image integrity check failed'.
Whenever I move the mouse a message: 'reading failed' appears.

I have removed all devices connected to the MoBo, except the CD-ROM drive but still no success, system keeps rebooting the EZ Flash Utility.
How can this be resolved?
How can we stop the EZ Flash Utility?
How can I get this system into working order?

Thank you for your consideration and hopefully providing a solution.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Dig-IT-all
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18338
Posted:5/21/2012 9:14:00 AM # 2
Hi s..

There have been many many posts from folks who did this sort of revision for IvyBridge with a SandyBridge processor installed and are in the same situation as you are.. a system that doesn't work anymore. 

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=008543022935876211394%3a94vzevcyurc&cof=FORID%3a0&q=3207

There 'might' be some information in that link that will help.. but in the end, you may have to replace the EEPROM.  If you haven't tried it already, leave the system unplugged over night and remove all but a single memory module in the A2 slot.. then see if anything changes. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Howard
Level :
Tech Points : 1253
Posted:5/21/2012 9:24:00 AM # 3
well, if you had looked at the small print on the ASUS P8P67 Del website you would have seen that this bios needs to be flashed TWICE!! Thats what EZ Flash is crying about.

http://i.imgur.com/kwwHT.jpg

Same bios same mobo same EZ Flash - flash again at F1 prompt after first successful.run

I recommend unplugging all SSD HDD DVD BRD - just boot with USB inserted and go to bios, EZ Flash. This way the flasher can find original path without any confusion

Having said that, you half flashed, then redid cmos etc so I would not think you could pick up the second flash anymore.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ASUS-P8P67-DELUXE-P7H57D-V-EVO-P8P67-M-PRO-/380344712510?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item588e4fbd3e

http://www.biosflash.com/e/BIOS-Chips-ASUS.htm?pages=6
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it true if you want to become a Swiss citizen you have to wait 9 years and then all the people in your home village vote yes or no?

snahl
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/21/2012 9:56:00 AM # 4

@Howard

>>Is it true if you want to become a Swiss citizen you have to wait 9 years and then all the people in your home village vote yes or no?
Wait 10 years, the rest is true.

I am afraid your right about replacing the BIOS-chip as the Flash Utility keeps coming up at each reboot. BIOS settings are not accessible.

>>small print
Banks and Insurances are known that we need to watch for the small print.
How about Asus to provide clear instructions? There is none, not even a 'readme.txt' - Damn Asus.

Dig-IT-all
snahl
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/21/2012 10:26:00 AM # 5
@Ulrich

...remove all but a single memory module in the A2 slot.
Why the A2?
Because it can be used as single module?

I give it a try and post back

Dig-IT-all
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:5/21/2012 9:46:00 PM # 6
Hi s..

Intel memory controllers use a particular protocal to look at memory.. and for the SandyBride and IvyBrigeg controllers, A2 is where they look first...  not that they won't look elsewhere.. so A2 is where you want a single module. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
snahl
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/22/2012 6:15:00 AM # 7
@Ulrich

yep, EEPROM needs to be replaced.
Your suggestion:
[to leave the system unplugged over night and remove all but a single memory module in the A2 slot.. then see if anything changes.]
Well, unsurprisingly, this did not work.
To me it seems as if the EZ Flash Utility remembers (or keeps record of) its activites somewhere else since the system keeps restarting the Flash Utility and no longer provides access to the BIOS.

Dig-IT-all
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:5/22/2012 6:29:00 AM # 8
Hi s..

Right.. you can't do much if you can't enter the BIOS..  What you might want to try is sort of a blind flash..  Put your support disk in the optical drive and then reset to restart the system and tap Alt+F2... 

snahl
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/22/2012 6:30:00 AM # 9
@Ulrich and @Howard

thank you both for your feedback.
The conclusion is that I messed up during the BIOS update and thus lost a BIOS-Chip that gets replaced soon (thanks for the links Howard).
or in other words: back to square one.
This leads me to the question how is this BIOS update done properly?
The instructions from ASUS are terribly minimal: [*Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC.]
What the heck does that mean to someone who is not in the updating-BIOS-business every day?
It would be very beneficial if someone could please provide clear and precise (kind of 'for dummies') instructions for this special BIOS-update.
Thanks

Dig-IT-all
Howard
Level :
Tech Points : 1253
Posted:5/22/2012 7:25:00 AM # 10
First of all the second half of bios update on P67 mobo is the MEI VERSION update - not current version upgrade. You go from ME 7.XXX to ME 8.XXXX
ME 8xxxx is needed for Ivy Bridge - nothing else.
But it is backwards compatible with 7.0 SB
So if you flash 3207 your current Intel MEI entry/drivers in dev man/system devices is out of date and must be updated after removing current/reboot/redo/reboot.
Also Intel chipset entries
To be perfect, the 3207 flash should be accompanied with a complete Win 7 reinstall with F6 add driver install - then Intel chipset then Intel RST then Intel MEI all at once before reboot
Of course no one will do this - too much trouble.
Dont look at me - its the mobo manuf who wanted to give you the present of a mobo that will still be current and useable with the Ivy Bridge CPU.

Which actually was a gigantic mistake, people were happy with their P67 Z68, and while some, perhaps most, have flashed successfully, there were 60 million mobo sold last year. It only takes a small percent of users to have issues to make a gigantic group of very unhappy people.

They should have left P67 and Z68 alone and gone Ivy Bridge with Z77 ONLY!! Having said that - now that they have done it, they should be offering free chip replacement for anyone with a problem by simply mailing in the old chip. the chips cost them $.50 in quantity and shipping is low because they weigh nothing. Shipping chips by FEDEX is ridiculous.They could even reprogram/recycle the chips sent back.

But dont hold your breath waiting for that to happen

The good news is you dont have to worry about flashing from now on with your new chip since bios upgrades will go back to being "normal". This was a one shot deal (I hope)

As far as "correct" flashing
Disconnect power to all HDD SSD DVD BRD or anythin USB not KB/mouse
Insert USB 2.0 FAT32 stick in Intel USB 2.0 port in back, preferably 4GB or smaller
Make sure bios is named as follows: 3207.rom
Boot to bios and set defaults under exit screen - to make sure everything is enabled for flash to see and no O/C
If you really want to be safe - do a memtest 86+ run or two from booted CD/USB to make sure your RAM is working before flash
Then shut down install USB stick and boot to bios and go to EZ Flash in tools
Pick bios and flash until successful message
You will then see press F1 to go to setup after exiting
At no time do you shutdown or reboot manually
Press F1 and go right back to EZ Flash and do it again
Successful message again
Shutdown
Clear cmos
back into bios and reset fields

The EZ Flash doesnt remember anything
Thats why its best to unplug all other devices so flash can only go back to right device
The bios itself is scripted

Edit:
The bios chips only go in one way and the legs must be vertical - no angle

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.