ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P9X79 DELUXE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Will Ballistix Tracer RAM work on this MB? New Topic
CC
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 11
Posted:4/15/2012 4:42:00 AM # 1
I'm trying to determine if Crucial's Ballistix RAM--you know, the kind with the blinking lights?--will work on this motherboard. Is anyone running it successfully?

Crucial has this memory module, which is NOT the Tracer, listed as being compatible with the P9X79 Deluxe:

8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-14900 memory module

Part Number: BLE2KIT4G3D1869DE1TX0 Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2) Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM Feature: DDR3 PC3-14900 Specs: DDR3 PC3-14900 • 9-9-9-27 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64

The Tracer series however has the same specs:

8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix Smart Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs), DDR3 PC3-14900 memory module

Part Number: BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXRG Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2) Package: Ballistix Smart Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs) Feature: DDR3 PC3-14900 Specs: DDR3 PC3-14900 • 9-9-9-27 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64

So, I would think it should work, no? Thanks for any feedback.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18324
Posted:4/15/2012 9:02:00 AM # 2
Hi CC..

You know.. probably Crucial would be the place to ask that quastion... 

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P9X79%20DELUXE&Cat=RAM

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
CC
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/15/2012 12:28:00 PM # 3
Hi Ulrich,

I did ask Crucial, and they said it's not on their compatibility list for the P9X79 Deluxe board. However, there is a memory module, DDR3 PC3-14900, Part Number: BLE2KIT4G3D1869DE1TX0, that is guaranteed to work on both that board and a Sabertooth Z77 board. The Tracer module I am inquiring about is on the Sabertooth Z77 board compatibility list, but not on the P9X79 Deluxe's list. So I would think since it has the same timings it would work as well, unless there's some other reason (physical layout perhaps?) it wouldn't work.

I'm thinking it might be worth the gamble to get it and try it out, but was hoping to find out if someone is successfully using it first.

Thanks, Ian

P.S. Wow Ulrich, seems you've been here forever! ;) Are you an ASUS employee?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/15/2012 11:47:00 PM # 4
Hi Ian..

Not an employee.. but have a large interest...  If you should try that memory, be sure to post back if it works....

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
CC
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/22/2012 11:42:00 PM # 5
The modules work fine on this motherboard! The Ballistix MOD Utility also seems to work fine! (I was able to turn the lights off with it.)

So, curious Ulrich, when you say large interest.. by that, do you mean you are a stockholder? Or do you just like helping people and you primarily use ASUS motherboards?

Ian

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/22/2012 11:50:00 PM # 6
Hi Ian..

Thanks for following up and glad to hear the memory works..  Crucial is prettu good memory...  As to my interest.. a bit of both....

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/earnings/earnings.asp?ticker=2357:TT

CC
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/25/2012 6:41:00 AM # 7
Perhaps I shouldn't have spoken so soon about the memory.. I managed to install Windows 7 64 bit and all the drivers, and it seems to be running fairly well. However, sometimes when I restart from Windows the computer hangs. It lights up the DRAM LED on the motherboard. I've tried using the MemOK feature, and it will then boot and go into Windows, but it still has the same problem.

Perhaps I should try picking some memory from the memory list, but that sounds very boring lol.

I have a question about the memory timings.. I've tried to enter them manually, (as in, 9-9-9-27 for this memory,) but it seems to retain the same values. It shows 9-9-9-24, and even though it has 27 in the input field, it doesn't show up in current setting. Is this a bug? How can I tell what timings are actually being used?

CC
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/26/2012 12:41:00 AM # 8
Another update... after swapping these modules around a bit, (one module, then two, then all four, in varying positions,) and setting the Ai Overclock Tuner to Manual in the BIOS, and entering 9-9-9-27 for the primary memory timings, (and holy cow where did all these other timings come from,) and 1.5V for the voltage, these finally seem to be running stable now. (I can reboot without hiccups, and cold boot without hiccups--no overclock failed messages, or board stuck with the Q-LED reading "b5" or some other number.)

Now, however, the Ballistix MOD Utility doesn't work anymore! It gives me a "motherboard not compatible" message.

Oh well, I like the light pattern the chips are currently set to anyway. And at this point, I'm just glad to have a working system. Sheesh, do I like driving myself crazy?

Ian

CC
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/26/2012 2:33:00 AM # 9
Additional follow-up.. apparently the memory controller on those Tracer modules are for some reason not always compatible with the X79 chipset. Crucial told me they could swap out these for non-Tracers now or sometime in the future, or swap out with working Tracers once they are in production, and since they are also currently working for me in my system, (albeit without the benefit of the MOD utility,) I'm happy.

CC
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/11/2012 7:21:00 AM # 10
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but after I got the timings set correctly, the memory seemed to work okay most of the time. However, the system would hang on reboot. I would have to cold boot every time. If I recall correctly after a while it just wouldn't boot.

I hung onto the modules until the 45 days Crucial gives to return or refund, hoping they might come out with working replacements, but no such luck, so I returned them for a refund. Now I'm using Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz memory, which works great (if you consider the first two 8GB kits were faulty and had to be returned).

Only got 8GB though as a temp fix, because I'm still planning on getting 16GB of the the Tactical Tracer memory from Crucial if they ever get it working right.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.