SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Has anyone replaced the Bios Chip on their P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 board ?? New Topic
Jim
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 220
Posted:3/25/2012 10:15:00 PM # 1
I'm wanting to replace the Bios chip on my P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 board (due to buggy 3202 flash) ...
... have received the new chip from ASUS ...

The bios chip's south-side is right up against the Marvell SATA III ports ...
... looks like the extraction has to be worked from the north-side of the chip only, due to socket placement. 

So, looking for chip removal tips / suggestions from anyone who has replaced their Bios chip on this board.

... tia ...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
... my M4E-Z / 9260-8i RAID10 Array survived bios' 3103/3203/3304 --- thanks to bios 1004, & to finally bios' 3402/3501/3510/3603 -------- gotta' love "USB Bios Flashback" & "Dual" Bios Chips ...
Brad
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:3/25/2012 11:50:00 PM # 2
I am still on the 0402 bios haven't developed the intestinal fortitude to play with something that is working A1 now. But I did order a new bios chip yesterday just to have on hand. So its hard to remove... you need a "tool" to extract it it?

Jim
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/26/2012 1:00:00 AM # 3
I don't see how the chip extractor tool is going to work ...
... I say this based on the layout of the notch-side of the socket/chip butting right up against the SATA III ports ...

Once the chip is out, I don't see where installing the new chip will be a problem at all ...
... I guess this is where the jeweler's screwdriver might come into play ...
From everything I've read about pulling chips, you work the opposite sides/corners up "very carefully" a little at a time ...
... I just assumed this would be the non-pronged sides of the chip, in this case ...
But in this scenrio, you can get to one side of the chip easily, but can't really get to the opposite side due to the SATA III ports.

I really want the new 3202 chip in this build ...
... would love to be able to report how the factory flashed 3202 handles some of the  issues ...

Hence the reason for the post - hoping someone else has done this before on this mobo ...

... my M4E-Z / 9260-8i RAID10 Array survived bios' 3103/3203/3304 --- thanks to bios 1004, & to finally bios' 3402/3501/3510/3603 -------- gotta' love "USB Bios Flashback" & "Dual" Bios Chips ...
Brad
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/28/2012 6:28:00 AM # 4
Stand it your bare feet and/or use a wrist strap. Shut down the unit completely including ps sw off, plug out Then just slowly pull bios chip out with your fingers. I just did one so I know it can be done. clear bios for about a minute including battery removal and cmos clear jumper. BTW bios 3202 works perfectly!!!

Jim
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/28/2012 6:36:00 AM # 5
That's outstanding news Brad - on both accounts; the chip removal / installation, & 3202 !!!

... would I be correct to assume you're now running on the new factory flashed 3202 chip ??

Brad
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/28/2012 6:38:00 AM # 6
Yes it, 3202 works ACE!!!! Double check all your settings!!remember ahci on sata drives if using. I booted and rebooted a few times to after start up has settled on the windows desktop.

Jim
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/30/2012 11:03:00 PM # 7
... the P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 new 3202 bios chip swap-out went fine, cleared cmos/battery removed (1 min), re-installed all & powered up ...
Unfortunately, the new 3202 bios chip did not fix my issues - & that was a real eye opener for me ...

... still with the red VGA LED / Vid Card issues on start-up (un-recognized, un-initialized, & sometimes fine) - Post 3202 ...
... still have the intermittent slow shut-downs - Post 3202 ...
... still the USB ASMedia 3.0 controller/hub issues (both, one, none) Pre 3202 ...
... still the intermittent USB over-voltage issues on start-up (15 seconds to shut down) - Pre 3202 ...

My theory - "never ever use AISuite to flash a bios update - never !!!" ...
... it doesn't matter how many you get away with - sooner or later, one's gonna' bite you ...

I figure if I'm going to have to do a SSD boot drive SE & O/S clean install - on to greener pastures, so to speak / snakebit, I guess ...
Anyway, my online retailer was kool enough to allow me to RMA the mobo ...
... even though I'm 27 days past the 30 day full refund period - now that's customer service !!!
The new P9X79 Deluxe & i7-3820 will arrive today; via overnight; & I guess I know what I'll be doing for part of this weekend - LOL

... it's really too bad that the rear panel Bios Flashback feature didn't make it to this line of Z68 boards; like it did to the Z77s & X79s ...
I learned what that neat little feature can do for you with my 3103 stint on my M4E-Z rig ...
It came down to another 1155 M4E-Z board (Z77s not out yet), or on to the 2011 P9X79 boards & CPUs - I opted for the 2011 route for this "re"-build ...

... live & learn, I guess (live, "flash", & learn anyway --- LOL) ...

Howard
Level :
Tech Points : 1253
Posted:3/31/2012 11:32:00 AM # 8
I can hardly believe that
Your problems are virtually impossible with a new chip IMHO

Fwiw I use needle nose pliers
And I put white out on one side to indicate the down position of chip - where the shiny semi circle is - they only go in one way.
Always have case resting on side so you can place chip with flashlight in other hand and it will stay in place so you can then press it in with finger
After loading in chip you MUST clear cmos to allow oproms to register (which you did)

I have replaced 6 chips from various ASUS and everyone worked fabulous ending all errors. The new bios vers are very good if you do a 100% flash, or buy one. I assume all ASUS chips are programmed on an external eeprom flasher, and not pulled from a defective mobo. (I hope so)

The only thing I can think of is you put the old chip back in
I place the chips in marked non conductive zip bags
Its VERY easy to mix them up - trust me

While I dont think they would run, best to check you have not placed chip in one pin off and that chip is down all the way both sides - no air gaps underneath

You will have to do a fresh install of Win 7 because with all the oprom updating you have in effect a new mobo. Always start with chipset install

For example - the old MEI oprom is vers 7XXXX and the new is 8.XXXX

Brad
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/31/2012 11:56:00 PM # 9
Don't know how you got into all that trouble Its amazing.... unfortunate but amazing I have got large fingers but pretty good dexterity so I was able to just pluck it out and in with new. Had a anti stat wrist strap on and in bare feet.

Jim
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/1/2012 6:01:00 PM # 10

Well Howard, you have made some points that I guess could be possible; - however ...

*** "And I put white out on one side to indicate the down position of chip - where the shiny semi circle is - they only go in one way."

I am & was aware of the proper chip placement in the socket (before, during, & after the bios chip swap); via the "shiny semi-circle" - see my reference to the "notch side" of the chip in a previous post ...
... the placement of the new bios chip in the socket is correct ...

*** "While I dont think they would run, best to check you have not placed chip in one pin off and that chip is down all the way both sides - no air gaps underneath"

I agree that system would not run, & that the chip would not seat properly in the socket, if the new bios chip placement / alignment in the socket was not correct ...
... I checked this twice before moving on to removing the battery & moving the jumper ...
... primarily, to make sure that the chip was properly seated all the way down in the socket (with gentle, but firm pressure).

*** "The only thing I can think of is you put the old chip back in"

I am & was aware that the chips are identical in appearance, & that I could not get the two mixed up (as I think most would be) ...
... the old chip was placed on the left side of the desk; while the new chip was still in the pink foam material that it was shipped in, & was on the right side of the desk ...
... the chip in the board is the new one, that was removed from the shipping foam material just prior to installation into the socket ...
... the old chip is now in the pink foam material & marked as the "old" chip (which btw, I now do not think there's anything wrong with).

*** "You will have to do a fresh install of Win 7 because with all the oprom updating you have in effect a new mobo. Always start with chipset install"

I'm not sure why this would have to be done; as in effect; the installation of the new 3202 bios chip should be the same as a successful flash of 3202 on an existing bios chip ...
... & would think that this is really no different from Brad's successful updating from 0402 to 3202, via a / his new bios chip - no O/S re-install needed, or required ...

*** "Your problems are virtually impossible with a new chip IMHO"

This is where I think the problem stems from - as "I totally agree with you" about the new bios chip resolving / eliminating the issues ...
... that is, as long as the initial flash of 3202; via AISuite; did not adversely affect something in the O/S - which I now believe it did ...

a) -- I did the original flash of 3202 via AISuite; & saw the resulting shut-down & start-up issues immediately upon the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ect... re-boot / re-start (I had no shut-down & start-up issues prior to the flash of 3202).

b) -- I then re-flashed 3202 via EZ Flash 2 & a USB stick (which I should have done in the 1st place), & this "successful flash" did not correct the "newly acquired" shut-down & start-up issues.

c) -- the installation of the new "factory flashed" 3202 bios chip “should have” corrected the shut-down & start-up issues - but it has not ...

d) -- had there been something about the 1st flash with AISuite that "only" adversely effected the bios chip / bios itself (as in glitched, corrupted, interrupted) ...
... I would assume that the "successful" re-flash of 3202 with EZ Flash 2 (b) would have corrected that problem.

Therefore, e) -- this is why I now believe that the initial flash of 3202 via AISuite, glitched / corrupted something in the O/S having to do with the proper start-up & shut-down of the system ...

The real possibility of a glitched, corrupted, or interrupted flash while in the O/S, negatively affecting the O/S; is a definite consideration when using a utility program within the O/S such as AISuite ...
... which is why I believe there are many people that say to "never" use an O/S based utility program to update / flash your bios ...
... I am now one of those people ...

I also believe this type of scenario is why ASUS has now included the rear panel USB Bios Flashback feature on; what looks to be; all of the new boards (Z77 & X79) ...
... that, along with the linked webpage about the USB Bios Flashback feature; as IMHO this is a big deal, & should be promoted as such; shows me that ASUS is doing everything it can to eliminate the possible “Bad Flash” ...
Again, as from one of my previous post "
I learned what that neat little feature can do for you with my 3103 stint on my M4E-Z rig" ...

With all that, I'm very sure that there are thousands that flashed 3202 successfully with AISuite ...
... but, once someone goes through something like this, they will then understand; as I do now; why so many try to discourage others from using an O/S based utility program for bios updates ...
... there are safer ways to update / flash a bios chip (while not in the O/S, or even not in the UEFI Bios) - it's just not worth the risk, once you've gone through this ...

So, why give up on the board - the USB 3.0 issues (hub, controllers, over-voltage shut down) were there before the 3202 update scenario ...
... & again, I was hoping that 3202 would have corrected those ...
When I 1st contacted ASUS about the USB 3.0 issues (prior to 3202), I was told by an ASUS tech that this board had known USB 3.0 issues; & that I should RMA the board ...
So, even though I now do believe a clean install of the O/S would probably correct the "start-up & shut-down" issues ...
... I really don't want to go through the clean install procedures on this particular board, just to find that the USB 3.0 issues are still there ...
... which I believe they will be, since the new 3202 chip didn't correct them ...

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.