ASUS Support Home Location : Forum  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ASUS SSD Cache with Raid New Topic
ICULookn
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/13/2012 5:49:00 PM # 1
Hello
I am building a new PC and I would like to setup the ASUS SSD Caching on the P9X79 MB with a 60GB SSD and 2 x SATA HD setup in a RAID 1.

Is this possible? which ports do I plug the disk's into?

Had a bit of a search and looks like it cant be done

What other options do I have?

Should I just use the SSD for boot and RAID the 2 x HD for DATA? which ports should I use for best performance?

The HD are ST31500541AS SATA 3Gb/s 1.5TB 5900RPM The SSD is ADATA 6Gb/s S511

Thank you in advanced
Eric...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18412
Posted:3/14/2012 10:27:00 PM # 2
Hi Eric.. 

I think it can be done.. but would have no advantage.  You might read through this thread if you haven't already..
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276364-32-benefit-dual-asus-p9x79-deluxe-2011-intel

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Michael
Level :
Posted:3/15/2012 2:23:00 AM # 3
It's not possible

From what I've read in the user manual, it looks like no.  The HDD  and SSD  have to be plugged into the same Marvell Serial ATA 6Gb connectors SATA6G_E1/E2, which would not allow 2 HDD to be plugged in at the same time, just one HDD, and one SSD.  The SSD caching does not work with drives plugged into other connectors like the SATA6G_1/2 or SATA3G_3-6.

At least, that's what my manual says.

However, with that said, I have an ASUS p9x79 Deluxe.  I have a SSD for the boot drive, and have (2) 3TB hard drives and a SSD that I would like to use as a Raid 1 (data mirroring) data drive with SSD caching. 

I'll try it even though the manual says no.

From what I've read in the user manual, it looks like no.  I'll try plugging the SSD into the  Marvell Serial ATA 6Gb connectors SATA6G_E1/E2, and the raid array into the SATA6G_1/2 to verify that it does not work. -- Afterall, its worth a try, right?  I just dont see it working, because they need to be physically connected to the same controller (SATA6G_E1/E2).

Michael
Level :
Posted:3/15/2012 2:30:00 AM # 4
Ulrich:

That link is useless, did you even read what was on that page?  The user wanted to know if he could cache 1 SSD with another to improve performance. (wow).  It said nothing about cashing a raid array with the SSD.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/15/2012 3:38:00 AM # 5
Hi Mike....

No.. the OP wanted to know if he could RAID and use Caching on the X79 board...  Asus does provide a similar Smart Response Technology feature using the Marvell 9128 controller as SRT is not enabled for the X79 PCH.... 

There are both SATA to eSATA connectors and G-Speed devices that might make that possible... but considering the poor performance of Marvell controllers, it just wouldn't be worth doing.

The point of the link to Tom's was to suggest that it is better to use SSDs if storage speed is important in the work you do with a system.. and not use mechanical drives with SRT or any other similar feature. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
ICULookn
Level :
Posted:3/15/2012 5:55:00 PM # 6
Sorry Guys, maybe I was not clear.

I want to install OS onto the 2x1.5Tb Hard Disks, and use the SSD as a Cache.

I agree, the link sort of talks about it, but not exactly what I wanted to do.

However, after searching more, it just doesnt seem like it can be done or is even worth it.

So I have installed the OS onto the 60Gb SSD, but wow, Win7 takes up a heap of space without any apps installed yet. Looks like I need to get a bigger SSD for the OS.

Again, I am sorry if I was not clear

Thanks Eric..

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/16/2012 12:37:00 AM # 7
Hi I..

I think you were pretty clear..  The problem is that the Marvell controller has only two ports... so you couldn't do a conventional RAID with mechanical drives and then have an SSD for the cache...  There are ways that might work.. as I mentioned previously.. but not worth it.  The 'cacheing' feature is not available with the X79 PCH.. only the Z68 PCH.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.