ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Rampage III Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]boot problem New Topic
Jetro
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/16/2012 9:07:00 PM # 1
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a mobo from ebay, and I put together. All other components worked fine with my old mobo (GA EX58-extreme). It will not start - after the initial POST screen nothing happend.
Pressing DEL does not open the BIOS set-up utility.
This MB has 2 BIOS chips, but switching to the second one does not help. Sometimes it give me a redligth for the Cpu (980x) and sometimes for the boot device. What should I do now?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18342
Posted:2/17/2012 12:32:00 AM # 2
Hi J..

It would help if you could list all the parts installed in your system and especially the memory kit part number...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Jetro
Level :
Posted:2/17/2012 1:47:00 AM # 3
Hi Ulrich,
Asus Rampage III extreme
I7 980x
Mushkin black line 3x2gb (998679) and I also tried corsair xms3 2x2gb (cm3x2g1600c9dhx) - nothing helped
2 Sapphire 5870 2gb eyefinity 6 edition CF
Thermaltake Thoughtpower 750w
OCZ vertex II 60gb
I tried all those advices what was written and I found on the forum. Currently. Nothing was usefull. All other components worked properly before.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:2/17/2012 6:14:00 AM # 4
Hi J..

Apparently the system will boot... as you mention you get the Asus Logo.. is that correct..?  Its the fact that the keyboard doesn't work and the system won't boot into your Windows operating system..correct..?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Jetro
Level :
Posted:2/17/2012 2:11:00 PM # 5
Hi Ulrich,
I get the Asus logo, and the keyboard works, but I cannot get into the BIOS, and the post stops. After I hit DEL or TAB I get this page:

AMIBIOS(C) 2010 AMERICAN Megatrends , INC.
ASUS RAMPAGE III Extreme ACPI BIOS Revision 1102
CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) I7 CPU x 980 @ 3.33 GHz
Speed: 3.33 GHz
Press F8 for BBS POPUP
Press ALT+F2 to execute ASUS EZ Flash 2
DDR-1333MHz
Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
2048 MB OK

(C) American Megatrens, Inc.
65-1102-000001-00101111-092310-TYLERSBURG-A1545000-Y2XC

As you see, I tried to boot with one dimm and with one VGA card, I took it out form the case also. But nothing helped.
Any Ideas?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:2/17/2012 10:28:00 PM # 6
Hi J..

Are you using the boot drive form your old system.. a drive with Windows installed on it...?  I 'think' that is probably what you are doing and if so, then you may be running into massive driver confusion..  The OS would be set up for the old board.. its driver pointers looking for the old hardware addresses.. which don't make any sense as all the addresses have changed.

Jetro
Level :
Posted:2/18/2012 12:08:00 AM # 7
Yes, of course. I use the same ssd, but the problem is that I cannot reach the OS, I could not even reach the BIOS. I have a short beep, when I start - according to the manul it means everything is Ok (CPU, RAM, VGA), then the post stops and I can only use CTRL+ALT+De, to restart.  I took some pictures, I wish I could attach to this forum post, but I cannot see any possibility. It makes me a headache. I will try to put my old I7 920, and see what is going on, tomorrow. That CPU works perfectly, as also the other components.
I just found something: I exactly have the same problem:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/286892-13-rampage-extreme-boot-problem

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:2/18/2012 12:26:00 AM # 8
Hi J..

What operating system is on the boot drive...?

Jetro
Level :
Posted:2/18/2012 12:40:00 AM # 9
Windows 7 64 bit

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:2/18/2012 12:49:00 AM # 10
Hi J..

Stick you Windows 7 disk in the optical drive .. restart and tap F8 and select the optical drive..  Then see if you can do a Startup Repair...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.