Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N16  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]PPTP VPN New Topic
James
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/20/2012 2:10:00 PM # 1
I set up PPTP VPN server Firmware Versions:3.0.0.3.84 and 94 and am unable to access files on my LAN from the WAN side. File sharing within the LAN works perfectly. From the WAN side: 1) I can ping the router with it's LAN address (192.168.X.1). 2)I can remote desktop to any computer on the LAN. 3) I cannot ping any of the computers on the LAN. 4) Turning off the router firewall does not help. 5) Turning off the firewall on a computer I am trying to access (shouldn't matter) doesn't work. 6) Enabling or disabling PPTP pass through does not help. 7)A port scan from the WAN shows 1732 open. Anyone try the VPN, yet? Any ideas? Jim

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
James
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/27/2012 4:43:00 AM # 2
OK, I fixed this. As I thought originally the subnet for computers using the VPN has to be the same subnet as the LAN. Not knowing what the firmware is actually doing it is important that the LAN DHCP does not intersect with the VPN range, e.g. you might assign the VPN to 192.168.10.2-11 and the DHCP range to 192.168.10.12-254. In case the firmware doesn't check, this prevents the assignment of the same IP to a LAN computer and a VPN computer. Because the VPN subnet is fixed to 192.168.10.0 the LAN will also have to be assigned that same subnet. I am surprised that the RT-N16 does not have an option to have the VPN subnet track the chosen LAN subnet.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.