Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > SABERTOOTH 990FX  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Memory for Sabertooth 990FX New Topic
Elsa
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/17/2011 7:18:00 PM # 1
I am fairly new to the world of computer hardware, and I am trying to build my very first desktop computer. After searching around on different forums and asking friends for suggestions, I have decided to go with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard and the AMD FX-8150 CPU with a 64-bit Windows 7.

However, I have a question about what kind of memory I should use with the Sabertooth 990FX. The specification of the Sabertooth 990FX states that it uses DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory, and it also states that "Due to CPU spec., AMD 100 series CPUs support up to DDR3 1066MHz. With ASUS design, this motherboard can support up to DDR3 1333MHz". This is the part I don't quite understand. Since I am going to use the AMD FX-8150 CPU, does that mean I should look for the DDR3 1066MHz memory instead of the 1866MHz or 1600MHz? On the other hand, when I look up the DDR3 1866MHz memory, most of them claims to be "designed for Intel machine" or something similar, so does that mean I shouldn't bother looking at memory that is higher than the 1333MHz (or DDR3 1333MHz memory is the max I should look for)?

Last but not least, does it matter which slot I socket the memory to, or is there a specific order that I should use? I am looking to buy either a 2 x 4G memory or a 4 x 4G memory.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced Mid Tower Case, SABERTOOTH 990FX, FX8150 CPU with water cooling, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 CMZ16GX3M4A1699C9, ADATA SATA3 SSD, ZOTAC GeForce 550Ti video card, CoolerMaster SilentPro Gold 1200watt PSU, 23inch Samsung Monitor x 2
Mistral
Level :
Tech Points : 298
Posted:12/17/2011 8:59:00 PM # 2
Hi E, the FX8150 supports 1866Mhz ram and the Sabertooth 990FX has native BIOS support up to 2400Mhz ram. I don't know what they are on about with the 100 series CPU, as far as I can remember the 100 and 200 series chips were Opterons for servers. Most ram is listed as designed for Intel because Intel define the memory specification and XMP profile support, it's best to check the QVL list for supported ram, most of the top manufacturers have ram that will work at 1333Mhz upwards, Corsair, G.Skill etc, I use G.Skill Ripjaws ram (in my signature) I've used it for years and the last 8 kits of G.Skill have not been on the QVL, if in doubt contact the manufacturer or check their website or make sure the supplier OK's the ram for compatability. Ulrich will probably post a link for compatable ram. It shouldn't matter which slots you use for the ram, either A1 and B1 or A2 and B2. Unless you have an older socket AM3 CPU or access to one to flash the BIOS, make sure when you buy the board it has an FX compatable BIOS, 0705 upwards or get the supplier to flash it for you, A lot of people buy the FX CPU's without the proper BIOS support and end up with a headache trying to get them working.

CoolerMaster HAF X case, ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus BIOS 0905, Intel i73770K CPU @ 4.5Ghz 1.070v with water cooling, G.Skill Ripjaws TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX ram @ 2400Mhz 10-10-12-31-1T, 2x Corsair Force Series 3 SSD, Corsair Force GT SSD, 3x 1-TB Seagate barracuda's, MSI Twin Frozer II GTX770 Corsair HX850 PSU, 32inch Samsung monitor, Thermaltake Challenger pro keyboard, Cyborg R.A.T 7 mouse, Billion BiPAC 7800n router, 3 other systems networked.
Elsa
Level :
Posted:1/6/2012 10:35:00 AM # 3
Hello Mistral,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been out of town for quite sometime, so I haven't post an update for awhile.

Anyway, I picked up the Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard, but I forgot to ask whether it has an FX compatible BIOS or not. Is there anyway to tell the BIOS version of the board just by looking at it? By that I mean does it state the BIOS version somewhere on the board? If not then I will have to bring it back with me when I go purchase the FX8150.

I also found the QVL on the ASUS website, so I bought the Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 (CMZ16GX3M4A1699C9) memory which was listed on the QVL. In addition, I bought the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W Power Supply (RSC00-80GAD3-US) along with the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Case (RC-692-KKN2).

I still have yet to buy the FX-8150 CPU and the CPU Cooler. I probably will go pick them up tomorrow and then work on it during the weekend. But before I go ahead and buy the items, I want to get an opinion on the CPU Cooler.

My friend told me to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler, so I looked it up, but it doesn't support AMD FX Series. Thus, I am thinking of picking up the Hyper 212 Evo Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler instead. Aside from the CM CPU Cooler, is there any other ones that you would recommend for the FX8150 CPU? Also, I was told to use the Silver Thermal Compound, is there any particular brand that I should go for or just any kind of Silver Thermal Compound will do?

On the other hand, I am also looking to buy a new hard drive. I was looking at the WD Caviar Black 1TB with SATA 6.0 GB/s and 64MB Cache. However, I see that you use Seagate Barracuda. I have been told to go for Western Digital, and I really have no idea which brand is better. Is there any particular reason why you choose Seagate? Is the Seagate Barracuda the equivalent of the WD Caviar Black series?

Last but not least, I know this post is getting off topic, but I really do not know where to ask these questions, so please bare with me.

Thank you very much,
Elsa.

CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced Mid Tower Case, SABERTOOTH 990FX, FX8150 CPU with water cooling, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 CMZ16GX3M4A1699C9, ADATA SATA3 SSD, ZOTAC GeForce 550Ti video card, CoolerMaster SilentPro Gold 1200watt PSU, 23inch Samsung Monitor x 2
Mistral
Level :
Posted:1/6/2012 6:47:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Elsa Posted: 1/6/2012 10:35:00 AM

Hello Mistral,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been out of town for quite sometime, so I haven't post an update for awhile.

Anyway, I picked up the Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard, but I forgot to ask whether it has an FX compatible BIOS or not. Is there anyway to tell the BIOS version of the board just by looking at it? By that I mean does it state the BIOS version somewhere on the board? If not then I will have to bring it back with me when I go purchase the FX8150.

I also found the QVL on the ASUS website, so I bought the Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 (CMZ16GX3M4A1699C9) memory which was listed on the QVL. In addition, I bought the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W Power Supply (RSC00-80GAD3-US) along with the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Case (RC-692-KKN2).

I still have yet to buy the FX-8150 CPU and the CPU Cooler. I probably will go pick them up tomorrow and then work on it during the weekend. But before I go ahead and buy the items, I want to get an opinion on the CPU Cooler.

My friend told me to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler , so I looked it up, but it doesn't support AMD FX Series. Thus, I am thinking of picking up the Hyper 212 Evo Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler instead. Aside from the CM CPU Cooler, is there any other ones that you would recommend for the FX8150 CPU? Also, I was told to use the Silver Thermal Compound, is there any particular brand that I should go for or just any kind of Silver Thermal Compound will do?

On the other hand, I am also looking to buy a new hard drive. I was looking at the WD Caviar Black 1TB with SATA 6.0 GB/s and 64MB Cache. However, I see that you use Seagate Barracuda. I have been told to go for Western Digital, and I really have no idea which brand is better. Is there any particular reason why you choose Seagate? Is the Seagate Barracuda the equivalent of the WD Caviar Black series?

Last but not least, I know this post is getting off topic, but I really do not know where to ask these questions, so please bare with me.

Thank you very much,
Elsa.

On the edge of the board near the top right corner next to the mem OK button is a thin white sticker with a bar code on it, under the bar code are a series of numbers the last 4 digits on their own are the BIOS revision the board shipped with ie. 0705 on mine, I would have thought that unless it is old stock the board would have a compatible BIOS.

I can't really advise on the cooler as I don't use air cooling but the Hyper 212 Evo Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler looks the better of the 2, more airflow and quieter. Arctic Silver V is very good, I have a friend who swears by Arctic Silver Ceramique, I use Arctic Cooling MX3, I would use MX4 but there is no where local I can get it.

The cooler will have a thermal pad fitted and unless the CPU temps are critical as in overclocking the difference between the thermal pad and the others will only be a few degrees at best. 

I see you have bought Corsair Vengeance ram I haven't used it personally but it should be fine, you may need to adjust the ram voltage slightly and perhaps the CPU/NB voltage
but until the system is running you won't know.

One thing you need to check before you buy the CPU cooler is the clearance under the cooler and whether it will clear the ram sockets with the Vengeance fitted. I also suggest that when you first build the system you only use 1 or 2 sticks of ram until the system is working then add the other ram afterwards, that way you should avoid any boot problems due to the memory.

There is no particular reason why I am using Seagate Barrucuda's they are what was available at the time, I also have a 1 terabyte Western Digital green drive and I have had no problems with any of them, sorry I can't be more help but someone else might post and offer suggestions.

CoolerMaster HAF X case, ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus BIOS 0905, Intel i73770K CPU @ 4.5Ghz 1.070v with water cooling, G.Skill Ripjaws TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX ram @ 2400Mhz 10-10-12-31-1T, 2x Corsair Force Series 3 SSD, Corsair Force GT SSD, 3x 1-TB Seagate barracuda's, MSI Twin Frozer II GTX770 Corsair HX850 PSU, 32inch Samsung monitor, Thermaltake Challenger pro keyboard, Cyborg R.A.T 7 mouse, Billion BiPAC 7800n router, 3 other systems networked.
Elsa
Level :
Posted:2/24/2012 10:33:00 AM # 5
Sorry about going MIA for a long time, and thank you very much for the help. I have been away from home for an extended period of time and haven't been able to use the system ever since I put it together.

Now I finally have a chance to! Everything seems fine, but I am still getting blue screen occasionally. Is this normal or the blue screen shouldn't happen at all?

I do not do any overclocking because I do not know how to. I would love to learn it, so if anyone could please let me know where I could start learning how to do OC that would be great. Anyway, the blue screens probably have nothing to do with my overclock settings (since everything is at default).

The system boots fine, and I upgraded the BIOS to the newest version (0901). I now have all 4 sticks of RAM installed, and also recently added a ADATA SATA3 120GB SDD. I wasn't sure if my old HDD was an issue, so I removed it and only use the SDD. I look through my event log, and there is A LOT of errors. I have no idea what is causing all these errors, but I know that isn't right.

On the other hand, I am trying to install an online game called TERA Online, and it wouldn't even install on my computer. When I got a play-able copy from a friend and finally able to play it, the game crashed with fatal errors when I am at the major city. Yet, my crappy laptop has no problem downloading, patching, and running the game even in major city (although it lags like crazy). I am not sure what's causing all these problems, but I am sure that it probably has something to do with my setup. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Mistral
Level :
Posted:2/24/2012 9:23:00 PM # 6
Hi Elsa, Blue screens are usually CPU specific, voltage too low etc. but as you are having other problems it might be the memory.

The default voltage for your ram is 1.5v ( Intel Specification) but AMD systems usually need more ram voltage you could try 1.55v to start, you can go up to 1.6/1.65v if necessary.

Another possibility is because you are using both memory banks (4 dimms) the IMC in the chip might need more voltage. The IMC voltage is controlled by the CPU/NB voltage, default is 1.16v you may have to increase to 1.2v.

I would suggest that first you remove the 2 dimms from the second bank and see if you still get the problems, that will give us an idea whether it's the memory or the chip. It's possible you may have a bad memory stick although that's unlikely.

Elsa
Level :
Posted:2/25/2012 6:42:00 AM # 7
Hello Mistral, Thank you for your quick response. I tried to change the voltage in the UEFI BIOS Utility; however, everytime I entered the number the field automatically returns to "Auto". Is there any other settings that I need to change before I can manually set the voltage? Thank you!

Mistral
Level :
Posted:2/26/2012 4:31:00 AM # 8
Hi, make sure you press enter after changing the setting otherwise it doesn't stick.

Elsa
Level :
Posted:3/2/2012 2:32:00 PM # 9
I got the voltage settings done, and the system seems to be more stable.

However, I still see a lot of errors in the event log. On the other hand, I also experience quite a lot of BSOD even with the ADATA SSD that I bought 2 weeks ago. I wasn't sure if the SSD was faulty or not, but I bought a OCZ SSD couple days ago to try and see if it was the ADATA SSD that was causing the BSOD.

I installed the OCZ SSD and only installed 1 stick of ram. Everything seems to work fine for now without any BSOD yet. TERA was installed onto the OCZ SSD with no problems (I had problem installing TERA onto my old HDD and the ADATA SSD). Now I just need to slowly add the ram back into the computer to test and see if I run into BSOD again.

My friend said that one of the memory sticks is faulty, but I am not sure how am I going to verify that.

Also, where can I read about overclocking? I want to try to tune up my machine a bit when I can run the system with 4 sticks of ram installed.

Thank you.

Mistral
Level :
Posted:3/2/2012 8:07:00 PM # 10
Hi Elsa, you can check the ram by replacing the sticks one at a time and run the machine, a bit time consuming but if you have a bad stick that should find it, memory tests won't necessarily find the bad one as they can't actually test all the memory addresses because the program has to run in part of the memory itself.

As for overclocking it can be quite a long trial and error process as there are no hard and fast rules, no two systems are the same so you can't really give specific settings for it.

You can achieve a basic overclock just by increasing the CPU multiplier and leave the voltages and LLC etc on auto, you should be able to run at 4.0Ghz with a turbo to 4.6Ghz without doing anything else.

If you really want to go into overclocking it's probably best to Google it as there are a lot of sites covering it.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.