Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > 3DP-V264GT/Pro  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]a43sj / k43sj XP driver New Topic
wee lee
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/9/2011 3:00:00 PM # 1
Dear All, I recently bought a A43SJ notebook and it comes with win 7 64 bit. As some of my software still require Windows XP to operate, I have formatted a partition for it. However, i could not find a XP driver for all the devices. Is there a XP driver for this notebook? Please Help!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Arthur
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 354
Posted:8/10/2011 12:05:00 AM # 2
Well, first of all, not all versions of Win 7 even support XP Mode. You have to have at least Professional Edition, and frankly, even then it doesn't work very well.  I have the Pro Edition and tried to run in XP Mode and once I closed out the Desktop I couldn't get it back.  I'm guessing they gave you the Home Edition on your laptop, but not sure.  Let us know, ok?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

It's ok to try to reinvent the wheel, but just make sure it's round, OK? LOL
wee lee
Level :
Posted:8/10/2011 10:37:00 AM # 3
Thanks for replying. Actually the OS that came with the laptop is Home Edition and is 64bit. And I have create another partition (i can dual boot) which contains XP but could not find driver for all device. So is there any xp driver for the notebook or i have definitely have to use win 7 64bit? can i change it to win 7 32bit?

Arthur
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/10/2011 7:14:00 PM # 4
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.  The download page for your laptop can be found here:
http://my.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/A43SJ/#download
XP drivers show to be available there.  Win 7 do not, so I am wondering if we have a discrepancy about your model number. 

Anyway, yes you can replace your 64-bit with a 32-bit, but you would need to find an OEM copy of the version you prefer that is available for retail sale in your country.  I mention OEM as an option since it is cheaper than the retail one that comes with MS tech support and a plastic case and costs two or three times as much.  Perhaps you have a reputable online retailer you deal with whom you can trust and can provide same for you.  Trouble is, how do you go about finding drivers for your laptop?  Maybe if you contact ASUS directly they can help you with the needed drivers for your x86 Win 7.  (This forum is populated by ASUS customers like myself who do not have any sort of inside connection to the company.)

And as one who owns a copy of Win 7 x64 I totally agree with your choice of x86 instead of x64, and not only for software compatibility either.  I have an old system with socket 775 and EVGA 780i running Win 7 32-bit and it has lots less problems with the OS than my brand-new ASUS P7P55 WS SUPERCOMPUTER with Lynnfield CPU, and you would think it would be the other way around.  <sigh>

wee lee
Level :
Posted:8/11/2011 8:59:00 AM # 5
Thanks for your help. I have been to the mentioned website before and there is no driver download for XP. only Win 7 and Vista available to choose.Now that you mentioned about the model, i checked the system information and it showed K43SJ not A43SJ. The A43SJ is on the label at my laptop. Marketing tactic?? But the website do not have K43SJ model driver to download!!!

Arthur
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/11/2011 4:17:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: wee lee Posted: 8/11/2011 8:59:00 AM

Thanks for your help. I have been to the mentioned website before and there is no driver download for XP. only Win 7 and Vista available to choose.Now that you mentioned about the model, i checked the system information and it showed K43SJ not A43SJ. The A43SJ is on the label at my laptop. Marketing tactic?? But the website do not have K43SJ model driver to download!!!

Not sure what website you are referring to.  The one for which I provided the link above shows drivers for Vista and XP:, but not Win 7.  The specs say it comes with one of four versions of Win 7 installed.  They expect you to use the drivers on the CD?

As far as the difference between A43SJ vs. K43SJ, it seems to be cosmetic, with more colors available for the case in the K version, while the specs and other options for both are identical.

wee lee
Level :
Posted:8/12/2011 11:34:00 AM # 7
The website (on the link you provided) i went shows only vista and win 7. I can't attached the print screen of the web site but it only shows vista and win 7. the site i visited is malaysia. Which site did you visit?

Arthur
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/12/2011 6:18:00 PM # 8

Quote:
Author: wee lee Posted: 8/12/2011 11:34:00 AM

The website (on the link you provided) i went shows only vista and win 7. I can't attached the print screen of the web site but it only shows vista and win 7. the site i visited is malaysia. Which site did you visit?

I'm talking about the link I provided above.  This is weird.  I'm wondering if they have two (or more) different versions of the web page for this product depending on one's location.  Mine's in English but it says Malaysian/English at the top right.  When I view it the OSes given are "Vista", "XP", and "Others".  Maybe it's location specific? 

First of all, I couldn't even find your product doing a search at the ASUS website using your model number.  I had to do a Google search to find the ASUS product page.  But when I went to asus.com I got the global map and then could select Malaysia and then if I do a search for your model number I can bring it up.  But it still only shows Vista and earlier.  When it says US/English a search for your product brings zero results. 

Bottom line:  I'm wondering if you even need XP.  I mean let's face it.  I got rid of it because eventually MS is going to pull the plug on it like they did with ME, 98, etc.  Besides, even after you get past SP3 you still have over 100 updates left to go.  It's a dinosaur.  Win 7 is a royal pain, to be sure.  But if you opt for the 32-bit version you should be able to use all or almost all of your old software.  I've got old software I like but the developers have long since gone bye-bye and don't even have a working e-mail account to reach them, but their stuff still works on Win7 x86.  Since you can find drivers for it at your location, that may be your only option. 

wee lee
Level :
Posted:8/12/2011 6:41:00 PM # 9
Yeah i guess you are right. I think i will go for Win 7 32. The reason i opt for win xp is because some software (industrial use) can only run on xp and some generic usb to serial port driver only support XP and vista. but anyway, thanks for the great support. And i think they have 2 different website depends on location. I think this is to cater to different market or whatever os is popular there.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.