ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]RT-N56U USB Drive Mounting Problems Solution New Topic
Chris
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/8/2011 7:38:00 AM # 1
I am having the same issue.  However, I am using the Maxtor OneTouch.  I also have a WD hard drive that is working beautifully.  Its annoying me that I can't get the OneTouch to mount.   I plug it in, and it is immediately marked by the RT-N56U as "unmounted". 

I can't seem to get this drive to mount, even using your posted solution.  Anybody have another idea?

Thanks,

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ispgeek
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/8/2011 7:11:00 AM # 2
I haven't seen anyone else discussing this but I'll share anyway.  Soon after purchasing two of these units I discovered that certain USB based hard drives could be mounted easier than others and in some cases unmounting the drives once mounted made them very difficult if not impossible to remount again later.  WD drives seem to connect reliably all the time where as Seagate GoFlex drives gave me nothing but problems.

The solution to the problem of a drive that refuses to mount is simple.  Connect the drive, power it up and then through the admin console enable the UPnP Media Server option for just a few minutes.  Go back to the Network Map and your drive should be mounted at this point.  This has worked 100% the time where I have had to unmount a drive and then after reconnecting it the thing refused to mount.

Once your drive is properly mounted you can go back and turn off the UPnP Media Server option if you have no intentions of using it.

In the meantime Asus if you are listening...please fix the problem.  One should not have to enable a feature they have no intention of using in order to get a drive to mount properly.

It should be noted that this issue especially with the GoFlex drives was duplicated on more than one RT-N56U with various firmware revisions including the latest.  To test if it was one specific drive multple GoFlex drives were used.  New and older models...same problem.

Bill
Level :
Posted:10/1/2011 12:58:00 AM # 3
I have tried connecting a WD Elements 3TB USB drive. The router identifies the drive and correct size but shows it as unmounted. I have tried the UPnP Media Server approach but this doesn't work. Any other ideas?

mezo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/6/2011 6:26:00 PM # 4
The same issue here. I just bought this router. Eager to find some solution.

Wynand
Level :
Posted:12/15/2011 3:06:00 PM # 5

Hi Guys

I had the same issue (I think). It just wouldn't mount. I've tried NTFS, but usually if I remove it once I needed to reboot the router to get it to mount the drive again. I'm 100% confident this router is running Linux, I though that using EXT3 as the file system instead of NTFS would likely be a much better choice. However the same issue kept cropping up as with NTFS. Looking in the logs there was line that said:

EXT3-fs: sda1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240).

I "suspect" it means that the version of Ubuntu I'm using was creating a newer file system or partition table that is just not fully supported in the Router's Linux kernel ... I think ;)

Based on this I did this to fix it:

1.) Create a empty DOS partition table
2.) Create a new empty partition
3.) Format it to EXT3
4.) Check that the EXT3 partition is used >= 4096 block sizes so you can have files > 16GB

I did this in linux, but I think you can do it on OSX and windows using Cygwin (or some other tools ...)

In linux you need to first find the drive. In my case it was located on /dev/sdc. Basically by typing the lines after the "$" I did steps 1 - 4.

1.) Create a empty DOS partition table & 2.) Create a new empty partition

$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdc

Command (m for help): o
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x7c60243e.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

WARNING: DOS-compatible mode is deprecated. It's strongly recommended to
         switch off the mode (command 'c') and change display units to
         sectors (command 'u').

Command (m for help): n
Command action
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
p
Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-77825, default 1): 
Using default value 1
Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (1-77825, default 77825): 
Using default value 77825

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.

3.) Format it to EXT3

$ sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc1 
mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
39075840 inodes, 156282320 blocks
7814116 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=4294967296
4770 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8192 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208, 
	4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968, 

Writing inode tables: done                            
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 30 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

4.) Check that the EXT3 partition is used >= 4096 block sizes so you can have files > 16GB

$ sudo /sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/sdc1 | grep "Block size"
dumpe2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Block size:               4096

And now it all seems to work just happily, consistently mounting, etc :) ASUS, give me a job! ;)

Angelboy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:11/30/2012 5:59:00 AM # 6
Here is the supported list

phalls
Level :
Posted:12/24/2013 1:39:00 AM # 7
"...WD drives seem to connect reliably all the time where as Seagate GoFlex drives gave me nothing but problems.

The solution to the problem of a drive that refuses to mount is simple.  Connect the drive, power it up and then through the admin console enable the UPnP Media Server option for just a few minutes.  Go back to the Network Map and your drive should be mounted at this point.  This has worked 100% the time where I have had to unmount a drive and then after reconnecting it the thing refused to mount"

This did not work for me. Ironically, I am trying to mount a WD drive. It will not mount.

Snowman
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/18/2014 5:58:00 AM # 8
I have had this router since they got released on the danish market, and have always been very happy with it. >I never needed to use the USB drive option, until now.>I run the newest firmware on the router (3.0.0.4.374_5656).
>I have a 3TB Seagate formated as NTFS. >It is detected by the router as ST3000DM 001-1CH166 but is listed as unmounted. >I can't use the UPnP Media Server option as it is not available as I have no drive mounted.>Formatting the drive is NOT an option.>I have about 2.5tb of data on it and NO where to back it up.>
>I noticed the last post in this thread is ½ a year old, so I presume the issue has never been fixed.>The user manual is 1½ years old so it's outdated and useless, as some things doesn't exist or is moved to other settings pages on the router.>Anyone have any ideas?

Snowman
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/23/2014 12:48:00 AM # 9
As an update I can tell I now tried my OTHER 3tb drive, which is listed as WDC WD30 EFRX-68EUZN0 in the router. This drive is ALSO shown as unmounted.

Snowman
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/3/2014 9:56:00 AM # 10
bump

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.