Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't create user accounts for sharing a USB drive New Topic
tomtomtom
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/23/2011 12:21:00 AM # 1
I have both Mac and Win clients in my home network and use an HP md1000h as a shared drive. I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the RT-N56U sharing.

If I connect the drive directly to the router via USB and enable "Share without account" on the router then the Win clients get R/W access to the drive but the Mac only gets Read.

If I enable "Share with account" I am not able to duplicate any of the user accounts on my clients because the RT-N56U share accounts do not allow special characters in passwords (which is very, very silly) and all my client passwords are strong.

I tried simply creating a user account on the router but when I enter it from my clients it is rejected.

I tried creating a user account on my client with a simple password and then adding that account name and password to the router list but that does not work, either.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there any way to give a Mac client R/W access if "Share without account" is enabled? (this is my preferred solution)
2) If "Share with account" is enabled, how do I create a user name that works? Do I create it on the client? On the router? Both? I have tried all combinations I can think of and nothing works.

Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
tomtomtom
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/24/2011 3:39:00 AM # 2
UPDATE:

I solved my immediate problem by creating a new Location in my Mac Networking preferences that (apparently) makes it recognized as part of my Windows Workgroup. This allows me to connect to the hard drive from my Mac using one of my Windows accounts.

However, this does not change the fact that, as far as I can tell, the "Share With Account" functionality of the ASUS RT-N56U is woefully inadequate. Specifically the fact that user account passwords can only be limited length and include alphanumeric characters means you get a choice: you can either put weak passwords on your clients OR you can enable "Share With Account." That is a lazy, pathetic implementation.

Harry4Gtech
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/15/2011 7:26:00 AM # 3
I have managed to use strong passwords by entering a password without special characters first. Apply > reboot and then "modify" the user's password with my special characters. Then apply > reboot...presto.. Maybe this will help...

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.