ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Sabertooth X58  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]CPU fan does not adjust to CPU temp New Topic
AMX
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/25/2011 9:49:00 AM # 1
Hi.  Wondering if someone can help me out here?  I built my PC in Jan with the following components: i7 950; Sabertooth X58 (BIOS v0702); Patriot Viper II Series 3x2GB; EVGA GTX 460 SE; WD Caviar Black; Antec Truepower 850W; Antec 200 case.  I also installed a Scythe Ninja 3 CPU cooler.  Everything worked perfectly until I made the mistake of using the Marvel controller a few weeks back.  A few frustrating weeks of hell and I finally overcame this issue only to encounter the next one with my CPU fan.

The CPU cooler includes a 120 PWM (4pin) fan that is plugged into the CPU_FAN socket.  When I first installed this cooler, the fan speed automatically adjusted itself based on the CPU temp spinning anywhere from 800rpm to 2100rpm (its max limit).  Note that Q-Fan was disabled.

However, a week ago (before I resolved the other issue), the fan stopped automatically adjusting to the CPU temp.  It now holds a steady 1400rpm.  There is a manual adjustment knob where I can adjust the fan speed but I would like the CPU fan to automatically adjust itself based on the CPU temp as it did in the past. 

So far, I have taken the following steps to try to rectify the problem but none of these actions have solved my problem:
- plugged fan into CHA_FAN1 socket
- plugged 2 different 120mm PWM (4pin) fans into the CPU_FAN socket
- reinstalled Win7 64bit
- enabled Q-Fan and used the STANDARD, TURBO, MANUAL feature.

Interestingly enough, if I use Q-Fan, my CPU fan will idle at 460rpm and automatically (or manually) spin up to only 1100rpm.  Additionally, if I use Fan Xpert and run the calibrate function, the CPU fan will only spin to 1500rpm.  I also tried to use Speed Fan (4.42) with no luck.

Like I mentioned, I would like the CPU fan to adjust its speed automatically without my intervention.  Any thoughts on what else I can try or might be the cause of this???

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18229
Posted:3/25/2011 10:55:00 AM # 2
Hi A..

It sounds like the cooling unit had its own speed control...  which has failed.  Is there any way to disconnect the fan from the control unit and attach it directly to the CPU fan header...

If you have done that, then it is possible that there is a defect in the fan itself. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Andy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 59
Posted:3/25/2011 2:10:00 PM # 3
Sounds like you have the speed control that came with the Ninja 3 set to a manual profile. make sure that the speed control knob is set to "fully automatic". then use Q fan to set the PWM profile.

The way PWM works is that the fan is fed a constant voltage. For full speed it should be 12V. The PWM signal then "Pulses" a signal to the fans internal controller to produce a "duty cycle". The following isn't exactly how it works, but is close enough to give you the basics of PWM, and how it works.

For example a 20% duty cycle (usually the lowest cycle that can be set for a PWM fan) 4-"off" signals are sent for every 1-"on" signal. the fan is still running on 12V, but is only running with power supplied to the motor 20% of the time.

If the fan is getting less than 12V, its speed will be slowed proportionatly. A 100% duty cycle all "on" signals cause the fan to run at 100% speed, provided it is receiving 12V. Again, less than 12V and the max speed is reduced.

I think what is happening to you is that your Fan is not getting the entire 12V which is why it never reaches 100%, and am making an assumption that you are limiting the voltage at the rear panel speed control. this speed control needs to be set at 100% so that the motherboards PWM control (Q-fan) can adjust the speed based on 12V (which is all it knows), based on the CPU temperature. Also, you need to get the fan plugged back into the CPU_Fan header, or the PWM will work based on the temp proble for the header you have plugged the fan into, rather than the temp of the CPU.

| P8P67 Pro (rev 3.0) | 2600K @ 4.7 (1.22V) | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1866 (9,9,9,24,1T) | | Corsair H70 | Corsair AX750 | EVGA 580 GTX | SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality Pro |
AMX
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/31/2011 10:05:00 AM # 4
Hey Andy,

You are right.  The fan speed was set to low (manual) on the rear panel speed control.  I replugged the connector back into CPU_FAN; set the speed control to high; rebooted; enabled Q-fan and it now works perfectly.  Thanks for the help!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.