ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Sabertooth X58  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]SATA optical drive not working New Topic
Hue
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:3/23/2011 1:22:00 PM # 1
Alright. Just got the motherboard and everything runs fine with the exception of ONE THING.
The optical drive will not work.

I have tried ALL of the SATA 2 ports. I have tried three different SATA cables. I have tried two different DVD-drives that I know are in perfect working order.
None of it matters. The drive refuses to read when working with the Sabertooth X58.

If there is a specific setting I need to have in the BIOS (I have 802, the newest) then please tell me now because I have been fiddling with it for the past four hours and have gotten no where. No matter what kind of BIOS settings I work with nothing will get the DVD drive to work.

i7 920
ASUS GTX 260 core 216
9gb of DDR3 in 1066mhz, triple channel
128 gb crucial C300
500 gb hitachi drive

The optical drive just refuses to work. Do I have to plug it into the SATA3 ports?

===========

The drive is recognized in the BIOS. It's there. No doubt about it. Manufacturer, model number, the whole thing.
When I insert in my Windows 7 disc it just sits at the "waiting for CD/DVD drive" in the boot sequence. It knows SOMETHING is in the drive and hence it is waiting to read from it, for 35 seconds (just like how I have the BIOS set) it will wait. After the countdown it just boots to Windows as if nothing was in the drive at all.

In Windows, the drive is not Windows Explorer. If you look in My Computer though you see it. If you try to load the disc from there it just shows up with that "loading" bar at the top and takes forever to load all the way, which stalls and dies and eventually does nothing just telling you to insert a disc. It will even eject the drive for you to insert in a disc... Nice, huh? >_>

My guess is it's a problem with the motherboard. Windows has nothing to do with the bootup sequence not being able to read the install disc.

And one last thing, if I plug in my USB dvd drive, it reads it fine and is able to boot windows setup from that. So... what gives?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18146
Posted:3/23/2011 9:18:00 PM # 2
Hi H..

Not sure exactly what's up with your system.. but how did you get 9GB of memory...? 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Hue
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/23/2011 9:49:00 PM # 3
9gb of memory doing 2gb x3 and then 1gb x3 to fill up all 6 slots.

Thing is, it has to be a motherboard issue, right? Since it won't even boot from the Windows disc during startup.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/23/2011 10:01:00 PM # 4
Hi H..

It would seem to be...  although it could be a problem with the media you are using.  Does the optical show up in a boot device choice menu  if you tap F8 at power up...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Hue
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/23/2011 10:21:00 PM # 5
Yes. It shows up in the F8 boot menu. Same issue though. It KNOWS something is in the disc drive because it gives it 35 seconds to time out. Nothing is found though after 35 seconds and it continues booting.
If I take the disc out then it will just say "no medium" and continue booting.

So it knows something is there.

And the disc is fine. Because if I plug in my USB optical disc drive and use that to boot it works fine. The Windows disc goes to Windows setup, etcetc. Windows is able to access the disc. Everything. The issue is only with the internal disc drive that's hooked up to SATA.

I don't get it. How would a motherboard's SATA ports work for a HDD but not for an optical disc drive? And why would it produce this kind of error.

I snooped around and found this topic.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090924114830218&board_id=1&model=P5W+DH+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
^The difference is that he is able to start Windows setup using the disc. But the issue he has in Windows is the same as mines. So that is a good description of it. Disc just spins and spins and the Windows loading bar is there and that's it.
At least he can somewhat narrow it down to Windows itself though I'm stuck with the startup sequence not even being able to read the disc.

I'm about 3 days until I say screw it and return the motherboard. Which sucks because I already have everything setup on it. Noctua cooler, video card, wires routed cleanly, everything... And everything seems to work. Just not any internal optical disc drive that I plug in.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:3/23/2011 10:34:00 PM # 6
Hi Hue...

I expect that the storage controller is set to IDE...?  If not, have you tried that.  Also, see if you have the option to try a different power supply connection...

Hue
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/24/2011 12:22:00 AM # 7
I've done a IDE and AHCI. Neither works.
I've disabled Marvell, disabled JMB. Enabled them. Set Marvell to AHCI, set Marvell to IDE. I even tried to boot it while it was set to RAID. I've basically ran through all the different settings that I can in BIOS. Even tried it with overclocking the core, underclocking the core, lowering the voltage on the core, default settings, random settings that wouldn't start because it said it wasn't stable, etcetc.

I will try a different power supply when I get back home tonight and report on that.

I somehow doubt it would be a PSU issue but still... I'm willing to try almost anything at this point so long as I don't have to dismantle everything.

EDIT: Just got a call from my brother who is at home. I texted him earlier to try out the 850w XFX from his rig and he says he got the same problem. All he did was unplug the SATA power from my PSU and brought his computer next to mine and then plugged in the SATA power from his own computer and booted it up.
Problem still persists. :(

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.