Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]O-Play R1 External HDD Compatibility New Topic
Ron
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:3/12/2011 4:59:00 PM # 1
hi everyone! i'm just wondering if the O-play hdp R1 is compatible to an external hdd of a size like 1TB? will it still play the files flawlessly? i already bought a transcend storejet 35u, all i need to know now is the compatibility of a 1Tb hdd. coz that is what i'm planning to buy next time. also i'm gonna use the e-sata for the external hdd connection to the o-play

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Lucky
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:3/13/2011 9:56:00 PM # 2
It is compatible with larger external drives.  I use a 2TB LaCie drive connected to the O!Play via e-sata.  No problem.

badkarma
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 191
Posted:3/13/2011 9:58:00 PM # 3
Yes its good.

I use this Hitachi 2TB external USB drive:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/hitachi-2tb-simpledrive-17-11-2009/

with Oplay HDP-R1 on firmware versions from 1.21 to 1.35 without any problems.

They also do a 1TB version of the drive.

I also have a 1TB Seagate drive connected to eSata port on OPlay.

Vazno
Level :
Posted:3/14/2011 11:55:00 PM # 4
FAT32 or NTFS?

badkarma
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 191
Posted:3/15/2011 1:05:00 AM # 5
NTFS.

I think FAT32 maximum allowed limit is 32GB.

Oldie1944
Level :
Tech Points : 50
Posted:3/16/2011 7:18:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: badkarma Posted: 3/15/2011 1:05:00 AM

I think FAT32 maximum allowed limit is 32GB.

This is only true, if you use the Windows-internal partioning system. Paragon Partition Manager and a lot of other partioning programs will do much bigger partion sizes in FAT32.
Nevertheless I would also recommend NTFS-partioning for HDDs used on the O'Play - because it takes this player a lot of time (may be a minute or more)  to read large FAT 32 partitions.
For the WDTV-Player timewise it makes no difference, whether it is partioned in NTFS or FAT32.

Rgds.  

Lynch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:4/5/2011 8:52:00 AM # 7
I use a Seagate GoFlex 3TB drive without any issues - and it's nearly full. I have not had the same success with Raid 0 drives however, so can not recommend any as a solution (it's an Asus programming shortcoming BTW). I have had the best success using HFS+ filesystems as well. Hope this helps!

apmihai
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/5/2011 11:33:00 PM # 8
I use a WD (1 TB) connected on the home network (ethernet). No problem. The WD have some Linux OS version, but can be accessed from Windows PC's for file transfer. Also the O-play is based on Linux.

Rob
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:4/13/2011 6:26:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: Ron Posted: 3/12/2011 4:59:00 PM

hi everyone! i'm just wondering if the O-play hdp R1 is compatible to an external hdd of a size like 1TB? will it still play the files flawlessly? i already bought a transcend storejet 35u, all i need to know now is the compatibility of a 1Tb hdd. coz that is what i'm planning to buy next time. also i'm gonna use the e-sata for the external hdd connection to the o-play
I'm using a 1TB Hitachi XL series HDD connected by USB2.0 and have no problems, assuming the files are good.

I stream music, photos and films from it.

This drive is formatted for FAT32 - sometimes the load up times are a bit slow, but playback is good once the files have been found.

Will probably add an eSATA drive when I've filled this drive up.

Also stream wireless from 1 x Windows Vista plus 1 x Ubuntu 10.10 laptops and occasionally from flash drives - all have proven good as long as files are OK.

sutobe
Level :
Posted:4/16/2011 11:07:00 PM # 10
Hi

I'm still using Firmware 1.30P because my WD 2 TB HDD in a Fantec case won't work because of its NFTS format method (forgot the name actually, there seem to be 2 different NTFS versions)

I use Win7 and it seems it formats HDDs in NTFS differently that Win XP does for example (to make it work with HDDs bigger than 2TB I guess)

If I use Firmware 1.33P or 1.35P my HDD can't be detected by the O! Play.

I already format my HDD in that "older" NTFS version, the HDD was been detected but the playback of the files was awful so I went back to 1.30P

How can I make my 2TB HDD work with 1.33 and 1.35?

Asus tech support is as useless as throat cancer (telling me to update my HDDs firmware lol), thats why I'm still struggeling with this problem and still asking here in the forum.

doesnt make a difference if I connect via USB or eSata btw.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.