ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play Air  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]RT-N56U VPN Problem with WIRED connection New Topic
polypheus
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/2/2011 11:17:00 PM # 1
I am having trouble getting VPN to work on my RT-N56U router when I use a WIRED connection. The VPN client says it is connected but when I try to access the VPN network, it is very slow and usually freezes and dies.

But strangely, this problem does NOT exist when using a WIRELESS connection. I have no idea why this is and how to fix it. Does anybody know what is going on and how I might fix it? It is strange that this problem only affects WIRED connections. I should note that when I access the normal (non-VPN) internet, it works fine with either WIRED or WIRELESS connection.

Thanks for any help!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
tulium
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/18/2011 2:20:00 AM # 2
I can confirm this dysfunctional behaviour of RT-N56U router!  I hope ASUS will address this problem as soon as possible.

Quote:
Author: polypheus Posted: 3/2/2011 11:17:00 PM

I am having trouble getting VPN to work on my RT-N56U router when I use a WIRED connection. The VPN client says it is connected but when I try to access the VPN network, it is very slow and usually freezes and dies.

But strangely, this problem does NOT exist when using a WIRELESS connection. I have no idea why this is and how to fix it. Does anybody know what is going on and how I might fix it? It is strange that this problem only affects WIRED connections. I should note that when I access the normal (non-VPN) internet, it works fine with either WIRED or WIRELESS connection.

Thanks for any help!

Rad
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/8/2011 1:29:00 AM # 3
I am also having the exact same issue.
Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Kevin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/16/2011 4:17:00 AM # 4

I'm having the same problem.  I just received the router last night and rather than messing with it during the week, I went back to my WRT-610N until the weekend.  So while I experienced the same issue you describe with VPN while connecting wired, I actually didn't try wireless, but will give that a try.  And, as you said, non-VPN seems to work fine wireless or wired.
Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Mosez
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/26/2011 12:09:00 AM # 5
Same problems here with VPN on a wired connection. VPN connection is established, but effectively zero access to any company network resources is as the connection is extremely slow. Cannot test wireless as that is administratively locked my company laptop.

Here's what's interesting though. I had experienced similar issues with my Engenius ESR9850 where disabling HARDWARE NAT solved my troubles. Engenius made this a user configurable setting and turned it off by default in the latest firmware versions.

AFAIK, I cannot toggle HARDWARE NAT on/off in the RT-N56U firmware. Consider this a feature request, Asus!

Homefloyd
Level :
Posted:5/14/2011 1:08:00 AM # 6
Found this solution on dslreports.com forums, it worked for me.

Other Thoughts: My VPN connection to my work PC from home using the RT-N56U and a wired PC would NEVER work. Connecting to the work PC via VPN from a wirelessly connected PC at home through the RT-N56U worked just fine. After speaking with Asus support, the solution was VERY simple!

All that needs to be done is as follows:

1) Go to "http://192.168.1.1" and log on with your credentials.

2) On the left hand side of the main menu, click on "EzQoS bandwidth Management".

3) Click/ Select on the "Internet Application" icon which looks like a globe with a ring around it.

4) Select the "Manual uplink speed" radio button.

5) Type 1024 (or higher upload speed based on your upload bandwidth tier in Kbps) in the box and click "Save"

6) That's it! VPN from wired as well as wireless PCs through the RT-N56U should work without any further issues!

Rob
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:5/18/2011 4:13:00 AM # 7
odd...maybe they changed something in FW 1.0.1.4 but I didn't have this issue with my VPN wired.  Been on it all morning with no problems.

polypheus
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/18/2011 9:15:00 AM # 8
From Asus' website: "Equipped with a capable hardware NAT acceleration engine and built-in Gigabit Ethernet, it gives you full Gigabit internet performance, making its WAN to LAN throughput up to 2-5 times that of traditional software-based NAT Gigabit routers."

Hardware NAT acceleration of this router is disabled when QoS (the solution posted above) or wireless multi-casting (another possible solution) is enabled. So what is really making VPN work is that hardware NAT has to be disabled.

Until, this can actually be resolved (if it can) this router cannot be recommended as one of the advertised features is actually not usable for people that require VPN capability.

If you wish to see if HW NAT acceleration is being used, look under Port Forwarding tab in System Log, or the General Log and parse the dmesg for this output:
kernel: CHIPID=RT3883
kernel: Ralink HW NAT Module Enabled

If your VPN is working, then it is very likely that somehow you have HW NAT disabled and thus VPN only works when the router is crippled.

Rob
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:5/18/2011 11:39:00 AM # 9
I didnt make any changes other than to the wireless settings, so it's set to whatever HW NAT default setting is.  I have the Cisco E4200 plugged in right now (and working with my iPhone!)...but will plug the Asus back in later to check.

robgold
Level :
Posted:5/18/2011 8:53:00 PM # 10
To check if Hardware NAT is enabled, log into the router and take a look under "Advanced Setting" >> "System Log" and then click on the the "Port Forwarding Tab" to see if "Hardware NAT" is Enabled or Disabled.  Looks like when you make any change to allow for VPN through a wired connection, the unit automatically turns off Hardware NAT.  I didn't make any changes other than wireless settings, but my Hardware NAT was nevertheless disabled when I tried the various suggestions to allow for VPN through a wired connection.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.