Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M4A88T-M/USB3  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]SATA HDD Not Being Detected New Topic
Glenn
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/23/2011 5:09:00 AM # 1
I have a brand new motherboard, the Asus M4A88T-M/USB3 and I hooked up 2 SATA Western Digital Hard Disk Drives model number WD740GD. Spec Page. They are about 6 year old SATA drives.  They are not being detected by the bios.  Why is the mainboard not detecting them?  I am thinking that they are either too old.  Another fact is these drives used to be in a raid array in another system.  I had hoped to connect these and wipe them before installing an OS on them.  I was able to get the board to detect a newer SATA drive, so I know the controller is good.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Kenny
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1659
Posted:1/23/2011 7:00:00 AM # 2
Do you see the drives detected during POST? Do you have the SATA ports set to IDE, RAID or AHCI?

You may just have to wait until the SATA driver is installed.

You can also try using Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools if you need assistance with hard drive installation, management, and diagnostics. Depending on your setup and configuration, you can use either the Windows or DOS version of Data Lifeguard Tools.

Try setting SATA Ports to RAID. Press <Ctrl+F> during POST, then the RAID Configuration Utility should appear. Making an array will wipe the drives.

Glenn
Level :
Posted:1/25/2011 12:49:00 AM # 3
I do not see the drives at post, they are not detected.  I have tried IDE and RAID.  Raid controller does not detect either.

Western Digital boot utility does not see the drives either.

I hooked up a newer SATA drive and it was detected so I know the mainboard controller is good.  The verdict is the drives are too old for this new technology.

Dougdownunder
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/2/2011 11:29:00 PM # 4
Hi, I'm having the same problem! I have just rebuilt my PC with, M4A88T-M/USB3, AMD Phenon II 6core, 4Gig Kingston DDR3 1333MHz Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Ram, ASUS GeForce GTS450 GDDR5 1GB 128-bit PCI-E HDMI Video Card, Hitachi3.5" Deskstar 1TB 7200rpm 32Mb SATA II Hard drive Windows 7 OS. I have tried alsorts to get BIOS to recognise the new hard drive, without any luck! tried SATA set on all three settings, tried putting a jumper on hard drive, updated BIOS, Cleared C-Mos and still no recognition. Can anybody Help!!!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.