Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5Q  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Boot Menu New Topic
Dilbert
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/16/2011 8:34:00 PM # 1
Pressing F8 at bootup brings up the boot options menu allowing such choices as which drive to boot from.  Is there a way to set the BIOS so that this menu comes up automatically when the computer is booted?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5085
Posted:1/17/2011 3:12:00 AM # 2

Go to bios and select the boot option if you want your hard disk your first boot then select it as your first boot

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18478
Posted:1/17/2011 5:20:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Dilbert Posted: 1/16/2011 8:34:00 PM

Pressing F8 at bootup brings up the boot options menu allowing such choices as which drive to boot from.  Is there a way to set the BIOS so that this menu comes up automatically when the computer is booted?

Hi D..

There is no setting that I am aware of that automatically brings up the boot device choice menu...

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Dilbert
Level :
Posted:1/17/2011 5:47:00 AM # 4
Thanks Ulrich.  Several days ago I saw a brand new Dell computer that seemed to be automatically showing the boot drive selection menu.  I was trying to find such an option in the BIOS of my ASUS P5Q motherboard but I guess that feature had not yet been added when the BIOS for that board was designed.  Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

AuF_KEn
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:1/18/2011 2:24:00 AM # 5
maybe u can solve this with software since u want to use multiple devices to boot well to select which one to boot. what exactly is ur purpose ..? i have worked with boot.ini and bootmgr using a system reserved partition to set boot from other hdd where i used more OS and made a menu .just point it exactly where to go. now depends what is your need.

Dilbert
Level :
Posted:1/18/2011 9:10:00 PM # 6
Yes, but the software works by modifying the Master Boot Record.  I was looking for a menu such as the BBS pop-up menu that starts automatically from the BIOS during the boot process.

AuF_KEn
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:1/19/2011 7:45:00 AM # 7
if its not implemented in your mobo i dont think its posible to achive that way by software as i said i used boot.ini   and bootmgr for Vista/7 there is software available to edit this under windows and when ur comp starts just points that menu and u choose from where to boot not very hard to do but still ur choice

Dilbert
Level :
Posted:1/20/2011 4:14:00 AM # 8
Thanks to all who replied.  You have answered my question and I now know that the BIOS boot menu can only be implemented by pressing a function key during bootup.  Any additional boot selections must come from editing of the Master Boot Record using Windows or Linux.

Thanks again, all.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.