Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Crosshair IV Formula  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]AHCI/RAID issues New Topic
Tim
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/24/2010 11:12:00 AM # 1
Hi there, I currently have my computer running my OS on a single SSD drive in my SATA 1 slot (SATA 1-6 exist on my motherboard) in AHCI mode. I wanted to put 2 HDDs for storage in RAID 1 so I tried to set my SATA 5-6 ports to RAID, but the only options were AHCI or IDE. If I change my SATA 1-4 option to RAID, then I can only choose RAID or IDE for SATA 5-6. I have heard that to change drive configurations like this, I need to reinstall my OS, but I heard this in relation to Intel-based motherboard. Is the same true for AMD? And if so, is it possible for me to run my OS off a single SSD while also having two HDDs on a RAID 1 configuration on my Crosshair IV Formula motherboard? Thanks!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Tonyb
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 953
Posted:12/24/2010 6:53:00 PM # 2
Hi Tim you could try checking back on some older posts or wait until brockmonster comes on the forum he is pretty clued up on ssd's and raid. I'll email him and see if he can help.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, O/S, Thermaltake Kandalf case (extensively modded), SABERTOOTH 990 FX, Bios ver.0813, FX 8150 , 2x G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (16gig) @ 2133mhz 9-11-9-28-40-1T, 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfired, Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200watt PSU, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD 3x1 terabyte Seagate barracuda drives, Tribe VX water cooling, 2x24" Asus VH242 HDMI Monitors, 1 LG 24", 1 Samsung 32" HDMI.
Brockmonster
Level :
Tech Points : 345
Posted:12/24/2010 9:05:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: Tim Posted: 12/24/2010 11:12:00 AM

Hi there, I currently have my computer running my OS on a single SSD drive in my SATA 1 slot (SATA 1-6 exist on my motherboard) in AHCI mode. I wanted to put 2 HDDs for storage in RAID 1 so I tried to set my SATA 5-6 ports to RAID, but the only options were AHCI or IDE. If I change my SATA 1-4 option to RAID, then I can only choose RAID or IDE for SATA 5-6. I have heard that to change drive configurations like this, I need to reinstall my OS, but I heard this in relation to Intel-based motherboard. Is the same true for AMD? And if so, is it possible for me to run my OS off a single SSD while also having two HDDs on a RAID 1 configuration on my Crosshair IV Formula motherboard? Thanks!

Hi Tim welcome to the forum

What you have herd is also true for AMD Boards you will need to reinstall windows because the raid utility needs to format the drive. You will need to create your your array and then install windows in ide mode on ports 5/6 and then do the registery mod to boot in raid. I have always found it best to have all the drives in the same mode IDE / AHCI / RAID.I don`t know if you have the guide for the registery mod but i will post it anyway.

To Enable AHCI In Windows

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.
When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load the AHCI disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them

To Enable Raid In Windows

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate To Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "RAID". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.
When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load the RAID disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them

How to enable TRIM Command in Windows 7 with a Solid State Drive
To enable or disable TRIM Command, you will need to open an Elevated Command Prompt window.
How To Open an Elevated Command Prompt window: Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)
How to Enable TRIM Command
In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following:
fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
How to Disable TRIM Command
fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1
How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
Results explained below:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

Crosshair V Formula-Z Wc With EK-FB ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Full Motherboard Block,..... AMD FX 8350 @4.5 Wc, Corsair Force3 GT 160GB 2.5" SATA-3 Solid State Hard Drive X3 Running AHCI Mode,... 2 MSI 7970`s Wc With EK Full Cover WC Blocks,.....8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 Dual Channel kit (2x4GB modules) 2400MHz PC3-19200 CL10 (full timings of 10-12-12-31 1T) at 1.65v Enermax 1000w Modular psu,..... 2x Koolance RP1000BK Pump, Tank, Controller Combo 1 For CPU/Motherboard Line, 1 For GPU Line,..... 2x Xspc 360 External Rads Externally mounted With 6 Koolance 120mm fans,..... Creative X-Fi 3D Sound Card,..... Thermaltake Armor VH6000BK Full Tower,..... 28 Inch HannsG HD LED Monitor,..... Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit....Windows 8 Pro 64Bit...BIOS 1101
Tim
Level :
Posted:12/25/2010 1:21:00 AM # 4
So if I was to follow these steps, can my SSD drive which will have windows on it be configured as AHCI? Because you say I have to install Windows on IDE mode first; I thought that installing windows in a certain mode meant it was stuck in that mode. You also say that you find it best when all drives are in the same mode. Are you implying that you predict it would work best if I had my SSD and 2 HDDs in raid configurations? I'm a little bit confused. I thought the best performance for me would be my SSD in AHCI, booting Windows 7, and then my 2 HDDs in RAID. Is this true, and if not, what is the ideal configuration? *EDIT*: I see that your registry guide is meant to allow me to change from IDE to AHCI with Windows installed. The main question I would like answered then is, what is the ideal configuration for me? 1 SSD + 2 HDDs, with the SSD booting Windows 7. I would think AHCI is the best performance.

Brockmonster
Level :
Posted:12/25/2010 4:45:00 AM # 5
Hi Tim

I have 6 drives configured in AHCI for best performence as i have never been a big fan of Raid. AHCI and raid are close on perfourmence so it`s your preference on which one to use. Vista and windows 7 have the AHCI & RAID drivers preinstalled so to switch you only need to do the registery mod and change bios as long as you created a raid array to start with you will have no issues. I would configure all ports to AHCI unless you needed Raid.

Crosshair V Formula-Z Wc With EK-FB ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Full Motherboard Block,..... AMD FX 8350 @4.5 Wc, Corsair Force3 GT 160GB 2.5" SATA-3 Solid State Hard Drive X3 Running AHCI Mode,... 2 MSI 7970`s Wc With EK Full Cover WC Blocks,.....8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 Dual Channel kit (2x4GB modules) 2400MHz PC3-19200 CL10 (full timings of 10-12-12-31 1T) at 1.65v Enermax 1000w Modular psu,..... 2x Koolance RP1000BK Pump, Tank, Controller Combo 1 For CPU/Motherboard Line, 1 For GPU Line,..... 2x Xspc 360 External Rads Externally mounted With 6 Koolance 120mm fans,..... Creative X-Fi 3D Sound Card,..... Thermaltake Armor VH6000BK Full Tower,..... 28 Inch HannsG HD LED Monitor,..... Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit....Windows 8 Pro 64Bit...BIOS 1101
Tim
Level :
Posted:12/25/2010 5:32:00 AM # 6
I think I'm beginning to understand. I was under the impression I had set ports to RAID to make a RAID array. So this means I can set everything to AHCI, but I have to make a RAID array with a software? And to create a RAID array, I will need to reinstall Windows altogether. Also, you mentioned that I need to install Windows through IDE first, and then modify it later. Can you confirm this? I will go and look for a guide for creating a RAID array.

Brockmonster
Level :
Posted:12/25/2010 7:11:00 AM # 7
Hi Tim

Yes that is correct so if you want raid you need to create your raid array first with the utility then you must install windows in IDE mode configuration. So Set bios to raid and use the support cd for the raid utility then when you have created it change bios back to IDE mode and install windows. When windows is installed then you just do the registery mod shown in the how to enable raid in windows 7 guide

If you want AHCI mode then again install windows in IDE mode and when the os instlation is complete you do the registery mod in the How to enable AHCI in windows 7 guide.
The problem with raid is the raid utility needs to format the drive during the Raid set up so you lose the data ie windows. Don`t forget you need to install windows using port 5/6 along with your dvd drive. I also posted the How to enable trim in windows 7 guide which is a must with a SSD drive. Both the intergrated AHCI & RAID drivers in windows support trim so which ever mode you choose enable it.

Tim
Level :
Posted:12/26/2010 12:10:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Brockmonster Posted: 12/25/2010 7:11:00 AM

Hi Tim

...The problem with raid is the raid utility needs to format the drive during the Raid set up so you lose the data ie windows. Don`t forget you need to install windows using port 5/6 along with your dvd drive.

Okay, last few details I want to make sure... The RAID utility needs to format ALL drives, even ones that will not be in RAID array, correct? Lastly, when I install Windows on my single SSD, it should be in SATA port 5 or 6? Is it to stay in that port after installation as well? My optical DVD drive is actually in my eSATA port. Is it necessary for me to have it in SATA port 6?

Brockmonster
Level :
Posted:12/27/2010 8:37:00 PM # 9
Hi Tim
As i said before The raid utility needs to format the drives when it creates the array. In your manual It Does recommend that you install windows using ports 5/6 along with you dvd drive. After you have installed windows install your jmicron driver so you can use your esata port as required.
You can also use any port for your boot drive when you have installed windows via port 5/6

Any more problems just post back.

Tim
Level :
Posted:12/28/2010 5:43:00 AM # 10
So I've reinstalled Windows and begun changing the registry options. In AHCI mode, I have my SSD booting Windows and my 2 HDDs working separately. In RAID mode, my SSD boots Windows just fine, and my 2 HDDs work in a RAID1 array, as I intended for file security. There is no way to keep this RAID1 array while being in AHCI mode, correct?

I am going to do some performance tests on my single SSD in RAID mode (because I would like to keep my RAID1 HDDs) to see if it is significantly slower than AHCI.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.