Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Location of CPU Temperature Sensor? New Topic
miw
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:12/23/2010 1:49:00 PM # 1
Hi All,

wondering if anyone else was seeing funnies with CPU temp sensor (the one seen by PC Probe II)?

I have Sabretooth X58 with Core i7 950, cooled by a Corsair H50 integrated watercooler (about same performance as a near-high end air solution). Other less relevant info: dual nVidia GTX570 graphics, 24GB DDR3 1600 RAM, O/C to 3.7GHz with HT enabled.

System runs very stably, but I am seeing some "interesting" things with the CPU temperature as monitored by PC Probe. Right at this moment I have Realtemp showing the CPU Core temps at 83/81/81/77 degrees, which is at the high end but in my experience no problem for this CPU under 100% load finding prime factors and other bits and pieces.

But right now the CPU temp per PC Probe II says 79 degrees and at times it actually reads higher than the highest core temperature. I am used to the CPU case temperature being 10-15 degrees below the core temperature and in this case it reads between 5 degrees lower than the core temp to two degrees higher. It also tends to jump around quite a bit.

I'd be interested to know if other have seen similar things, or if I have a faulty CPU temp sensor and therefore I should just ignore it. Any other insights also welcome.

--mark

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ah
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 396
Posted:12/23/2010 7:08:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: miw Posted: 12/23/2010 1:49:00 PM

Hi All,

wondering if anyone else was seeing funnies with CPU temp sensor (the one seen by PC Probe II)?

I have Sabretooth X58 with Core i7 950, cooled by a Corsair H50 integrated watercooler (about same performance as a near-high end air solution). Other less relevant info: dual nVidia GTX570 graphics, 24GB DDR3 1600 RAM, O/C to 3.7GHz with HT enabled.

System runs very stably, but I am seeing some "interesting" things with the CPU temperature as monitored by PC Probe. Right at this moment I have Realtemp showing the CPU Core temps at 83/81/81/77 degrees, which is at the high end but in my experience no problem for this CPU under 100% load finding prime factors and other bits and pieces.

But right now the CPU temp per PC Probe II says 79 degrees and at times it actually reads higher than the highest core temperature. I am used to the CPU case temperature being 10-15 degrees below the core temperature and in this case it reads between 5 degrees lower than the core temp to two degrees higher. It also tends to jump around quite a bit.

I'd be interested to know if other have seen similar things, or if I have a faulty CPU temp sensor and therefore I should just ignore it. Any other insights also welcome.

--mark

May be you want to take a look at this. http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/323252.pdf

Asus Rampage IV Extreme / Intel I7 3960K / GSkill TridentX F3-2400C10Q-16GTX/ Asus 7970 DirectCUII / Seasonic X series X-760 / Silverstone FT02 LE / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 458
Posted:12/24/2010 2:17:00 AM # 3
I have read about incorrect temperature readings being displayed when multiple hardware monitoring programs are running at the same time.  For whatever reason, that causes problems with the data received by the programs.  It sounds like you are experiencing this.  I have never seen the CPU temp higher or even equal to any Core temp.

I would use one monitoring program at a time, and then see if you still get the same behavior, that is the quickly changing temp readings, and readings beyond the maximum.  OTOH, temps can change quickly, unless you are running Prime95 at 100% CPU usage steadily.

I wonder if your H50 has a problem, such as air in the system.

CM Storm Sniper/ASUS SaberTooth X58/Intel i7-930/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 6x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GT240 1GB GDDR5/3 X Samsung 830 64GB SSD in RAID 0 OS Drive/Western Digital 64GB SSD AP Drive/Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD/Seasonic X760 PS/LG E2350V & LG 2361VG Monitors/LG BD-DVD Drive & LG DVD Drive ||NZXT Phantom Case/SaberTooth P67/ Intel i7-2600K/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB + 2x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GTS450/2 X Crucial M4 128GB SSD RAID 0 OS Drive/Intel 510 120GB SSD App drive/Hitachi 2TB HDD/Seasonic X660 PS/LG DVD Drive
miw
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:12/24/2010 1:00:00 PM # 4
Interesting point. I don't think it is a problem with multiple monitoring programs, since only PC probe reads the CPU case temp, and only Real Temp reads the core temp. But I will try not starting core temp and see if CPU temp stays lower.

Don't think the H50 has a problem, else the temps would be much much higher. The same setup with stock cooler would be at least 10-15 degrees hotter. But I *was* wondering if it was because the H50 was so efficient that it was cooling the top of the package but the bottom of the package was still hot - i.e. efficient cooling was dropping or even eliminating the temp diff between case and core - that would only be possible if case temp sensor was on the bottom of the package which in some older processors it was.

Borntowin's suggestion has been helpful. Seems that "case temp" is not Case Temp with these units any more, but an on-die sensor. If that is a change from previous Intel CPUs I have had, it will go a long way to explaining the reductio  of the 15 degree gap I have been used to seeing.

Thanks for your input. I will continue to look. Not really urgent...

--mark

Magnetar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 458
Posted:12/24/2010 2:35:00 PM # 5
The H50 is a good CPU cooler, but no CPU cooling method will have the CPU temp and core temps identical.  It is normal to see a 15o to 20o difference in temperature between the CPU reading and Core temperatures, the core temps always being higher.  I also see about 10o difference between each core temp at any time.  As I type this on my Core i7-930 CPU, Core 2 is 91o F and Core 3 is 100o F, while my CPU temp is 80o F.

I have also noticed that the CPU temperature can change very quickly, depending upon the load.  Even using a simple Windows Gadget that monitors CPU activity, when the activity changes between  say 25% to 5%, the CPU temp will drop immediately by 10o C or more, and vice versa.

The CPU temperature comes from a sensor within the CPU, not on the motherboard or the CPU socket.  There are several Intel technical documents that describe this.

Intel's various temperature monitoring techniques are, for lack of a better term, all over the place.  On an Intel mother board for Socket 775 CPU's I own, the Northbridge temperature sensor won't give a value below 60o C, and the Core temps on a Core 2 Duo E8400 won't show anything less than 30o C.

It is also possible to have damaged temperature sensors, particularly when they are not on the CPU.  A Core 2 Quad CPU on an Intel mother board I own shows a CPU temp of over 300o F, obviously wrong.

Temperature values also depend on the monitoring chip used on the mother board, and those vary too.  I would recommend you try HWiNFO32, a free hardware monitoring utility that displays CPU and Core temps, among many other things.

CM Storm Sniper/ASUS SaberTooth X58/Intel i7-930/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ 6x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GT240 1GB GDDR5/3 X Samsung 830 64GB SSD in RAID 0 OS Drive/Western Digital 64GB SSD AP Drive/Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD/Seasonic X760 PS/LG E2350V & LG 2361VG Monitors/LG BD-DVD Drive & LG DVD Drive ||NZXT Phantom Case/SaberTooth P67/ Intel i7-2600K/G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB + 2x2GB/Corsair H60 CPU Cooler/EVGA GTS450/2 X Crucial M4 128GB SSD RAID 0 OS Drive/Intel 510 120GB SSD App drive/Hitachi 2TB HDD/Seasonic X660 PS/LG DVD Drive
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.