Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How to run HD2 firmware? New Topic
Staso
Level :
Tech Points : 78
Posted:12/17/2010 9:41:00 AM # 1
So it appears by this thread:
http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=221

That you can run the HD2 firmware on the HDP-R1.

Could someone maybe make a brief tutorial on how to do this? For example, will their build work on both PAL/NTSC R1's, do you need to perform additional resets or other special procedures? Which image should you flash?

Thanks!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Poker
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 305
Posted:12/17/2010 11:32:00 AM # 2
Yes you can run HD2 firmware on the R1(it has to be modded firmware for the R1/R3, do not try to install official firmware). I am currently running it. The big advantage for me is for the most part you don't have to manually switch between pcm and raw for the spdif output.

First you need to know your players bootcode. 17 and lower requires you to first upgrade. 18 or above is ok. To check your bootcode go to the homescreen and press stop then play on the remote.

If your bootcode is 17 you can upgrade to bootcode 23. (note: bootcode 23 is from a Pal unit and come with a PAL firmware, this may cause NTSC users to have trouble seeing there screen after the inital upgrade if your tv is not dual compatible)

To upgrade you download the install.img file from here:

http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98

Place it on a usb stick formatted in FAT32 (make sure it is the only file on the stick)

You install it by telnet using the "soft reset" method found here:

http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=88

To telnet by soft reset:
(if using Vista or Windows 7 you first need to enable telnet. Go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and click "Turn Windows Features On or Off" and check the box beside "telnet client")

1) Go to setup on Oplay and write down its IP address eg 192.168.0.102
2) Plug the usb stick with the bootcode upgrade or HD2 software into the Oplay.
3) On your pc run a command prompt (run/cmd) and type: telnet <oplay ip>
 example: telnet 192.168.0.102
4) next you will see either venus login or oplay15 login, type root
5) next copy/paste the memory clearing command line that is found in the above link and press enter (example below....I would better trust the orignal post (wraped in a code tag) then my copy/paste)

echo "        " | dd of=/dev/mtdblock/0 bs=2048 seek=8192

6) next type reboot. The Oplay will now reboot and install the software. Be patient...do not panic...this process can take sometime, the Asus screen may hang. DO NOT unplug or turn off anything...Wait!!

If you have installed the bootcode upgrade, re-set up the network connection (oplays setup menu) and use the above telnet "soft re-set" method to install the HD2 firmware. (note: after the upgrade you do not get a progress bar on your screen when the software installs, you will just see 1 blue light and 1 red light on the unit, the screen will stay black until it boots up).

You can also go back to Original Firmware using the same method.

Can't say how it works for PAL as I have NTSC.

I am currently running v01.12.06 found here:

http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=202

****Understand that you are messing with firmware here and there is a risk of "Bricking" your unit. If you try this, you do so at your own risk.*****

thethirdnut
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 52
Posted:12/22/2010 2:38:00 AM # 3
Does this fix the MKV header compression error?

stevencr
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 54
Posted:12/22/2010 4:55:00 AM # 4
Poker there is an easier way to update the bootcode. just put version 1.21 or 1.24

There´s the firmware for 1.24 NTSC if you like Staso.

Then pay a lot of attention to what Poker wrote.

Staso: remember you don´t want to brick your o´play. However it is worth to do it.

I´ll do a video to show the benefits later.

proud owner of an R1 with CFW
stevencr
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/22/2010 5:00:00 AM # 5
@thethirdnut

at least not for me.

I downloaded some kind of "mkvfixer" but it hasn´t worked for me. I know it has to be easy to fix those mkv´s but I just don´t know how.

Maybe Poker can tell us how...

Poker
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/22/2010 8:55:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: stevencr Posted: 12/22/2010 5:00:00 AM

@thethirdnut

at least not for me.

I downloaded some kind of "mkvfixer" but it hasn´t worked for me. I know it has to be easy to fix those mkv´s but I just don´t know how.

There are 2 ways to fix MKV's

1) Use the fixer posted here: (the filefactory link still works) (this over-writes original file)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100808111057218&board_id=19&model=O!Play+HDP-R1&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

2) Use mkvmerge from mkvtoonix - load your incompatible (header compressed) mkv, highlight the video track and go to the "extra options" tab, and under Compression select "none" from the drop down. Repeat for the audio track. Select a filename and location to save, then remux it. (this creates a second re-muxed file)

Poker
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/22/2010 9:15:00 AM # 7
I believe the only way to upgrade the bootcode is to use the image from the "upgrade bootcode without a cable", I would use the telnet "soft rest" for that step. The persons (Farvoice/Jarre) who created the file got it from a PAL machine.

That being said the root bootcode doesn't appear to make your machine PAL only. Just the initial firmware that comes with the upgrade is PAL. Now my Panasonic Viera 50" plasma is obviously dual compatible because I had no problems with the PAL firmware.

After the HD2 upgrade I tested the unit with my 16 year old 27" RCA tube tv which is definitely NTSC only. There was no issues.

Now if after the upgrade, if you cannot see your screen properly you should be able to upgrade to the HD2 firmware using the reset method. (Update: I have tested it Dec. 27/2010. See note at bottom of this post)

That method is outlined below (copy/paste from Silksmooth from moServices):

1. put install.img with hdp-r1 (or r3) firmware into flash drive, formatted in fat filesystem
2. put flash into usb port and press and hold reset button
3. power off device (with hold reset button), wait 5 sec, power on device (still hold reset button)
4. “Preparing for update. It takes a few seconds”will appear, then release reset button
5. player go to reflash
6. enjoy!

Or this is the official wording (Asus):

Emergency Recovery Instructions.
If the O!Play accidentally shut down during the firmware upgrade, the safe mode will enable the
O!Play to be re-upgraded. you can to restart the Safe Mode Upgrade.
Please follow the steps below:
1.While pressing the reset button (The reset button is located on the rear panel.
Use a pointed object to press this button), Disconnect DC plug. wait 5 seconds and
reconnect DC plug of the Power adapter.
2.The message will be displayed on the screen as “Preparing for update.
It takes a few seconds”
3. The Media Player will re-upgrade automatically. Repeat the procedure Until the upgrade
has been successfully finished.

Above Methods only work with bootcode 18 and higher

***I have tested the reset method on my unit - bootcode 17 upgraded to bootcode 23. It works but I do not get the "Preparing for update" on screen, just a red power light and a blue storage light untill the unit reboots with new firmware installed***

stevencr
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/23/2010 4:53:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Poker Posted: 12/22/2010 8:55:00 AM

Quote:
Author: stevencr Posted: 12/22/2010 5:00:00 AM

@thethirdnut

at least not for me.

There are 2 ways to fix MKV's

1) Use the fixer posted here: (the filefactory link still works) (this over-writes original file)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100808111057218&board_id=19&model=O!Play+HDP-R1&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

2) Use mkvmerge from mkvtoonix - load your incompatible (header compressed) mkv, highlight the video track and go to the "extra options" tab, and under Compression select "none" from the drop down. Repeat for the audio track. Select a filename and location to save, then remux it. (this creates a second re-muxed file)

I used option # 1 and it wasnt good for me.

I´ll use option # 2 and see what happens

Morrison
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:12/25/2010 8:04:00 PM # 9
Should we expect this to be fixed in a firmware update or is that unlikely.  This solution is great when I'm at home, but sometimes I travel with just an external HD and an OPlay ... guess I'll have to test the files before travelling.  

Poker
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/28/2010 12:43:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: Morrison Posted: 12/25/2010 8:04:00 PM

Should we expect this to be fixed in a firmware update or is that unlikely.  This solution is great when I'm at home, but sometimes I travel with just an external HD and an OPlay ... guess I'll have to test the files before travelling.  

We certainly should expect it to be fixed...but the header removal compression been a problem since July (since MKVmerge set the compression as a default setting)...there has been many post requesting it be fixed, but still nothing!

I have had my Oplay for a year (bought it on a boxing day sale last year). Since day 1 people have been asking for a fix to automatically switch audio between pcm and raw (SPDIF). It is annoying when trying to play a Mp3 or XviD avi and have to go to Setup and have to manually switch the audio. I find it interesting that it is pretty much fixed in the HD2 firmware but never fixed in the R1 or R3 firmware.

So, in my opinion....like most companies...they won't fix the old equipment...because they want you to to buy their new equipment.

I also don't think any ASUS employees actually read this forum. This is a user to user help forum. I have not seen a "Penny" post in a very long time.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.