ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5QL-VM EPU  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus Essentio CG5270-BP003 with ASUS P5QL-VM-EPU New Topic
chris
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/1/2010 9:37:00 AM # 1
Hello,

I just bought a non working Asus Essentio CG5270-BP003 with ASUS P5QL-VM-EPU motherboard from Best Buy 2ndturn-closeouts for $316. My last ASUS motherboard lasted 7 years so I thought why not!

Now I am wondering if I did the right thing and what kind of problems these machines have? Hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Do the letters P5QL and VM and EPU mean something?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18481
Posted:12/2/2010 12:33:00 AM # 2
Hi c...

You have a proprietary Asus desktop computer system...  G43 MCH with integrated video (VM) and an energy saving feature (EPU). 

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vznjqhHAfFhmTpdT

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
chris
Level :
Posted:12/2/2010 7:20:00 AM # 3
Thanks Ulrich, the only information I have at the moment is that "the PC does not turn on".

I am thinking it could be PSU motherboard or processor. Knowing my luck the most expensive or even all three! Or it could as simple as the power switch. I can think of at least a half dozen possible causes for this, statistically which parts fail most often?

I am going to start by disconnecting everything except the cpu and 1 stick of memory and clear the bios and see if it switches on. If this doesn't help I may try taking the 350W psu out of my other PC to see if it powers up with this PSU. If there is still no success that leaves the CPU or the motherboard. Do these motherboards have any chance of being "bricked" by bad settings or a bios update?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/2/2010 9:32:00 AM # 4
Hi c..

The power suppy is most often the problem when a system won't start, barring assembly errors... but the unit was preassembled and tested before it was shipped.

A few things to consider...  the green SB_PWR LED must be on steady..  The ATX12V power supply connection must be securely made to the board.  Then if the system will not start, disconenct the ATX12V connector and see if at least the power supply will start.  It won't boot that way but it should start.   If it doesn't, then the possibilities are a case short that is preventing the supply from getting the power bus voltages into specification or a failed supply.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
chris
Level :
Posted:12/2/2010 7:48:00 PM # 5
Thanks Ulrich, I agree with, and will try everything you are saying. I will return to let you know how it goes when the PC arrives. :)

chris
Level :
Posted:12/8/2010 9:54:00 AM # 6
Good news Ulrich, the pc arrived and it appears to be working well so far. :) Spent a few hours trying to update to 601 bios without sucsess. says it is not compatible with my existing bios 302. Perhaps because my board is P5QL-VM-EPU (CG5270) and not P5QL-VM-EPU ?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/8/2010 11:07:00 PM # 7

Hi C..

The item is a proprietary consumer Desktop system...  and so the mainboard used really isn't important in this context.  I don't know if you used this link..  You will see that there is no compatible BIOS called o 0601...

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&product=14&model=CG5270&type=map&f_type=3

Consumer desktop systems are similar to any OEM system like a Dell or HP/Compaq... usually with a locked up BIOS and a recovery partition of the hard drive that works with a special BIOS to address catrostrophic operating system problems.  So you want to be careful what you try to do with the system..   If it is working, I really wouldn't fool around with it too much.

chris
Level :
Posted:12/9/2010 1:03:00 AM # 8

Thanks Ulrich, I think you are right, I will leave the bios alone.

I am actually buying an ATI HD 5550 pci-e card now, do you think this  
ATI VGA Driver V8.630.0.0 for 32/64bit Windows 7.  is a good idea to install?

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&product=14&model=CG5270&type=map&f_type=3

Are any of the other downloads recommended? eg keyboard utility or ASUS AI manager (what is it?)

I noticed that windows update seems to want to update the audio and vga drivers I installed from ASUS. I presume windows are newer?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:12/9/2010 2:35:00 AM # 9
Hi chris...

As far as the video card is concerned, assuming the system boots properly with it, and assuming that its support disk has the drivers appropriate for the operating system, then use the driver that comes with the card.

As far as the other software available, my personal feeling is that if the thing is working OK, then you don't need anything else.... 

The drivers offered through Microsoft are probably newer but may be of no particular advantage.  Most video driver updates are intended to address specific graphic problems in specific PC Games....  So again, if everything is working OK, games and the system in general, I'd leave well enough alone.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.