ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Sabertooth X58  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't install Windows 7 64bit on Interl RAID 1 New Topic
verceti
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/22/2010 12:56:00 AM # 1
Hi All!

I can't install Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate on Sabertooth X58. Here is what I'm using:

1. Core i7 950
2. Corsair 2GB *3 (1866 MHz)
3. Video ASUS Radeon HD6870
4. WD 1500EARS * 2
5. Upgraded to latest BIOS.

RAID 1 is configured on Intel controller. Two disks use identical ASUS 6 Gb SATA3 cables, and connected to SATA ports 1 and 2. Storage is configured to RAID in BIOS.

The problem is definitely related to RAID. When installing on a single disk, I can complete the installation. When installing on RAID 1 - Windows sees the RAID, starts the installation, and after the first reboot continues installation for about another 2 minutes, but then I get

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."

Please help! I have spend more than a week with this PC. Windows 7 should not require any drivers for Intel RAID.

P.S. Nothing is overclocked.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DIDI007
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:11/22/2010 3:29:00 AM # 2
Hi Verceti, do you know that Windows have a limit for boot disc? max. is 2 TB Greetings DIDI

Hiker
Level :
Tech Points : 7885
Posted:11/22/2010 4:01:00 AM # 3
Hi verceti,
You are right, Win7 does not need any additional drivers for RAID on the ICH10R storage controller.
The BIOS setting 'Configure SATA as' has to be set to [RAID] before installation.

As said, bootable volumes/partitions must be less than 2TB. Does 1500 stand for 1.5TB?

Perhaps you connected the drives to the Marvell 9128 controller? I'm not sure that Win7 include the driver for Marvell RAID. Did you use Drive Xpert to create the RAID or <Ctrl-M>?

ASUS Z97-WS (BIOS 1204) -- Intel i7-4790K -- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 -- 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 9-10-9-27 2T 1.5V -- iGPU -- System drive RAID 0 on 2x120GB Intel SSD 520 (6Gbs), storage on RAID 1, 2x250GB/16MB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2, additional storage 1x250GB/16MB -- DVD-RW ASUS DRW-24F1ST -- all drives on Intel Z97 controller -- Antec P180B -- Corsair HX750 PSU -- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- Chipset Device Software 10.0.14 -- IRST 13.2.4.1000 -- UEFI/CSM, SSDs and HDDs GPT partition formatted -- IE11
DIDI007
Level :
Posted:11/22/2010 4:36:00 AM # 4
Windows 7 doesn't have a Marvell driver, so before installation you have to download it from Asus.
Inside you find the "floppy" folder, copy this on usb stick an load it.

Here you find the driver from the file after download:
Marvell9128_V1001034_XpVistaWin7\Driver\Disk\Floppy64

Regards

DIDI

ip
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 65
Posted:11/22/2010 7:58:00 AM # 5
do not use RAID in SATA III, the SATA II Raid is way better, so change it back to SATA II cable and plug into the SATA II slot(6 of them in same color). read from manual 4-6 on. Load bios default, then follow this. Main > Storage Configuration > Configure SATA as [IDE] to [RAID], other bios setting about raid is for SATA III which you don't need. so Save and Exit. During POST, press + to enter Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM utility, then follow instructions on manual 4-7 to setup your raid volume.

verceti
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/29/2010 3:13:00 AM # 6
Hi All! Thanks for replies. Been too busy with my work so haven't had time to troubleshoot the installation. Here is what I'm using to clear out situation:

• SATA 3 cables (I will replace them with SATA 2 cables).
  • SATA 2 ports from Intel controller
  • I am not connected to Marvell controller, that is for sure.
  • Total storage size is 1.5 TB. Raid 1 is for parity, it is not stripe.
  • BIOS settings are configured to default and SATA configured as RAID
Will try again later as my free time permits.

Thanks all.

HHC
Administrator
Level :
Tech Points : 9939
Posted:11/29/2010 2:26:00 PM # 7

Quote:
Author: verceti Posted: 11/29/2010 3:13:00 AM

Hi All! Thanks for replies. Been too busy with my work so haven't had time to troubleshoot the installation. Here is what I'm using to clear out situation:

• SATA 3 cables (I will replace them with SATA 2 cables).
  • SATA 2 ports from Intel controller
  • I am not connected to Marvell controller, that is for sure.
  • Total storage size is 1.5 TB. Raid 1 is for parity, it is not stripe.
  • BIOS settings are configured to default and SATA configured as RAID
Will try again later as my free time permits.

Thanks all.

So the final question is, did you read the Intel RST driver from the Asus support CD at the time of OS installation? (As windows 7 64bit does not come with Intel RAID driver natively.)

本討論區中並沒有華碩客服人員進駐,若您在討論區無法找到適切的答案,或是希望直接與華碩工程師對話時,請透過技術支援表單詢問。網址:http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
華碩「筆記型電腦」與「EEE PC」的使用者也可以透過線上即時交流系統(目前為測試中)與華碩工程師線上即時交流。網址:http://vip.asus.com/im_tw/imLogin.aspx
服務時間:週一至週五(09:00 - 18:00)
Mike
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/22/2010 5:51:00 AM # 8
Hello HHC,

If I can jump in, I'm having the same problem.  I can't install Win7 64-bit onto any hard drive,
SSD or conventional.  I tried the above advice about trying to load the drivers off the Asus support CD and this is the message I get next after the install tries to continue for a bit:

"Load Driver
! To continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit driver.  Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and night result in an unstable windows installation."

I tried loading latest RST from Intel and same thing.  It reads the driver off my USB, and shows
it in a box highlighted to choose to install.  When you tell it to continue with the install and driver,
I get the message above.  So if you then go 'next' it continues and then dies again because it
is not loading the driver even though it finds it on my USB stick. 

Not signed??   Now what?

Thanks for any ideas.

/Mike

Doyle
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:12/22/2010 9:51:00 PM # 9
I had the same problem and I figured out that you have to make sure that ACHI is not on. After I changed that, I was able to install the Windows 7 on RAID 1

Mike
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/23/2010 5:39:00 AM # 10
Thanks for that, Doyle, I'll give it a try.

Merry Christmas!

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.