Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M2N-E  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]``Warning! CPU has been changed.`` New Topic
voodoochild16
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:9/21/2010 9:42:00 AM # 1
I just put my old motherboard (ASUS M2N-E) into a new computer with a brand new PSU. I replaced the CMOS battery too. I reseated the CPU aswell. I restored the BIOS to factory settings (default) like 3 times. I did all this because I get this error message when I boot up:
``Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!``

I installed the OS (Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit) just fine and it runs flawlessly. It`s just this stupid error message that comes up everytime. I can get rid of it by changing the BIOS setting in ``Boot Settings Configuration`` by going to ``Halt On`` to ``Halt Off``. But that`s not good to have turned on.. if an error ever does show up, for the new user of this new computer since it`s not mine.. yet. What more should I do to trouble shoot this...thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
aairon
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:9/21/2010 2:15:00 PM # 2
Hi V
I know this sounds redundant, but have you tried an actual CLRTC?
I understand that you had the cmos battery out etc.. but I have experienced the same message as you are getting.
It would go to reason that by removing the battery that it would be enough to clear the cmos.
But a cmos is capable of actually retaining programming with merely a static charge of very small potential.
By moving the CLRTC jumper while the battery is removed this very tiny charge will will completely be removed allowing the cmos to be cleared.
The only other possibility I can think of is to re-flash the bios if possible.
The issue with re-flashing the Bios with the same one is that it could be rejected by the flashing program, because it's thinking you're making a mistake.
If that happens you could try to flash to a newer Bios if one is available.
Even though it really probably doesn't normally need a bios update it could do the job of completely clearing the bios and removing that boot message.

I am pretty much grasping at straws here but these are the things I would try myself.

PLEASE REMEMBER
, if flashing the bios NEVER flash from the Operating system no matter what software ASUS provides that will let you do that.
Always flash from a boot.
Good luck,  please post a follow up with any new info, so that it might help others in the same situation.

Mobo P5GC-MX/1333, Core2 Duo E7400 @3.633ghz, original 2.8ghz, 38c at idle, Stock intel P-4 cooler, Bios clock set@346 1.384ghz FSB, Patriot mem 6400EL 800 mhz@865 mhz 2 X 2gig, EVGA GTX-285-OC, Vista ultimate 32 svc pk2, Bios V.410 old retired Marine electrical engineer.
voodoochild16
Level :
Posted:9/22/2010 2:05:00 PM # 3
Alright I`ll try flashing the BIOS once I have spare time. One other thing I`ll mention is the heatsink for the CPU is the stock one that came with my new phenom CPU. I used the motherboard and CPU from my old computer and ordered extra parts with money from a friend to build this computer for him. I got a small question just for grins though, would setting the BIOS to ``Half Off`` on errors be a bad thing... afterall I installed the OS and it`s not freezing or anything, I can simply make it ignore the stupid error message..

aairon
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/23/2010 2:24:00 AM # 4
Hi V

I'm not really sure what you mean by
"would setting the BIOS to ``Half Off`` on errors"

But I don't have my bios set to notify me of any errors at all.
I think it depends a lot on how tuned in the user is to his machine.
I actually run two different computers, and the one listed below is my cheap piece that I'm most impressed with lol.
My other machine cost about 6 times a much but is not even twice the machine.
I would know right away after booting if I have any issues, but for some users that error on boot could be helpful.
I still think I would do a Bios flash and see if that sorts it.
Please keep us posted.
 thanks AR.

Mobo P5GC-MX/1333, Core2 Duo E7400 @3.633ghz, original 2.8ghz, 38c at idle, Stock intel P-4 cooler, Bios clock set@346 1.384ghz FSB, Patriot mem 6400EL 800 mhz@865 mhz 2 X 2gig, EVGA GTX-285-OC, Vista ultimate 32 svc pk2, Bios V.410 old retired Marine electrical engineer.
voodoochild16
Level :
Posted:9/23/2010 3:02:00 AM # 5
Well I meant ``Halt Off``, so it basically would do the same thing you said yours does.. it doesnt display any errors. I`ll try the bios flash and see what happens but right now my time is limited.. ill update my results once I do it. If you think that`s a bad idea to go with, if the bios flash does nothing and it still displays the error message then let me know on here. Thanks for all the tips man.

aairon
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/23/2010 3:16:00 AM # 6
LOL I should have caught that.
Well since you say it's for a new user it could be good to have the error show, but if you are a good friend then if he has an issue you can just pop over there and check it out lol.
Really I would probably just let it go esp it they want the thing soon.
By let it go I mean turn off the halt on error.

voodoochild16
Level :
Posted:9/23/2010 3:48:00 PM # 7
So I did a BIOS update which is one step above the old BIOS version and it still gives me the stupid ``Warning! CPU has been changed.`` and so on... so should i try a version above that one and keep going till the latest version if i still keep getting the message.. or is this a definite no for the BIOS version being a problem.. I dont know what else the problem could be, I know all the damn wires are connected right. Well if it`s NO then I`ll just turn ``Halt On`` to ``Halt Off`` and call it a day...

Aminifu
Level :
Tech Points : 180
Posted:9/23/2010 9:43:00 PM # 8
Hi,

Trial and error BIOS updating is NOT a good idea. You could "brick" your mobo with that approach.

Assuming the mobo was working before you put it in the new case and assuming the new power supply is of good quality and is sized (watts and amps) to provide at least 20% more power than the maximum the new system needs and assuming the CMOS battery is good (time and date remain correct when turning the system off and back on), I suggest you double check the installation.

Do you follow "good practises" to prevent static discharges? Did you count the number of mounting standoffs in the new case (no extras) and made sure they lined up with the mounting holes on the mobo? Reseat the main power connector and the 4-pin support CPU voltage connector on the mobo. Reseat the RAM modules. Double check all other power and data cable connections. I know you said the connections are ok, just check them one more time.

IMHO, if you want to keep your friend do not hide this from him/her. Do not bypass the "halt on error" protection feature without their consent. This is an old mobo design and if your board has been used alot, it could be starting to fail. That error message has been known to occur for errors other than what it states (do a Google search).

Good Luck

M2N-E BIOS 3001, Phenom II X4 945 oc 3.6GHz, Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler, 4 GB DDR2 RAM G-Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B, EVGA GTS 250 512MB graphics, Samsung SH-S182M CD/DVD, Two 500 GB Seagate HD 7200.12, Antec TruePower Trio 550 PS, Audigy Platinum SB0090 sound card, Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers, Acer H233H monitor, Logitech MX 3200 wireless keyboard and mouse, Centurion CAC-T05-EN case with front, side, and rear fans, NZXT Sentry 2.5 fan controller, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
voodoochild16
Level :
Posted:10/6/2010 11:12:00 AM # 9
Well I have replaced the CMOS battery, I've plugged in my 1000W PSU I just got for my own computer, I've tried using my own heatsink from my computer which has two fans on it.. better than the stock phenom heatsink that I used with this computer originally, I replaced the RAM with the same kind but in a different slot (i didnt have to buy extra ram dont worry), I reseated the CPU a few times during troubleshooting, I have reconnected all the wires from 3 different PSU's a few times, and if I turn "Halt Off" and boot into the OS everything runs smoothly. I am going to leave it on overnight and see if it freezes or anything, just use it with different applications on Vista. If it still works in the morning, then I am going to give it to my grandpa and tell him that if it acts up give me a call, hes down the street.. i would never do this for a friend that lives 8 hours away, I wouldnt give them the computer. I am seriously out of ideas on this one. Anyone post their ideas if you want, I still have time to troubleshoot but im out of things to troubleshoot.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.