Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P7P55D-E Premium  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How stop UAC on Asus startup programs? New Topic
Craig
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:9/12/2010 12:08:00 AM # 1
When a secondary user of my PC logs in, three Asus tools interrupt them requiring UAC approval. How do I stop Asus from causing these UAC nag requests? Or how do I disable them from being launched by Asus when anyone other than me (owner/administrator) logs in? (DO NOT bother suggesting I should run naked in the malware forrest by disabling UAC in Windows.) The nag items are: SixEngine.exe TurboVHelp UpdateCheckerMFC Maybe these can somehow be disabled from automatically being loaded for everyone, and then just start them for me personally via my personal Win7 Start menu > All Programs > Startup items? I'm not opposed to disabling nonessential Asus-provided software I don't use, which might mean everything provided by Asus, though it's been nice to have in case I ever do find some use for it. I'm not aware of using any of that stuff (I've never knowingly tried to tweak anything with it). Thanks, Craig PS - FWIW, in the past Asus Tech Support claimed one of their programs which required UAC interruption cannot be run without doing so, though I'm not sure they've worked hard enough on finding a way to avoid that. Now that 3 programs trigger UAC instead of just one, this is getting very annoying and is making me hate Asus software.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18340
Posted:9/12/2010 12:51:00 AM # 2
Hi C..

Here is a link that may help...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

And running msconfig and unchecking things in the 'Startup' tab may also be a solution.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Craig
Level :
Posted:9/12/2010 12:56:00 AM # 3
Solved (I think): MS TechNet autoruns.exe revealed that these were being run by Window's Task Scheduler, which I then used to edit their Trigger settings to only load "Upon log on of ..." [my user name] rather than any user. This disables autorun of these 3 Asus nag-notice programs for secondary users (they won't care) while still letting them run for me.

Craig
Level :
Posted:9/12/2010 1:13:00 AM # 4
Thanks for reading & responding, Ulrich. Alas, ...

Re: disabling UAC, I guess you didn't see the part where I said "DO NOT bother suggesting I should run naked in the malware forest by disabling UAC in Windows."?

As far as msconfig & startup tab things, I had already checked those typical places. (I guess you didn't check for any of those apps in those places on your PC before suggesting it.)

Thanks for trying, though.

Ross
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:3/14/2011 7:00:00 AM # 5
The Task Scheduler suggestion above worked for me. I was getting three separate UAC prompts for every login other than my own, although they weren't exactly the same as the ones listed by OP. I found three matching tasks "scheduled" to launch at logon of "any user". I changed the condition so that the tasks now launch only when I login. No more UAC prompts for regular users on my rig. Thanks to the suggestion above!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.