SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P4R800-VM  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]MB # P4R8L Rev 1 03 (NOT P4R800-VM) - REBOOTING by ITSELF - PLS HELP! New Topic
Vince
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/29/2010 5:16:00 AM # 1
Hello,

MB model: ASUS P4R8L Rev 1 03 (This is directly off the MB after removing the case).  I couldn't find my model # in the dropdown so please DISREGARD the P4R800-VM I listed this post under, it was the closest thing I could find to my model.  There is no other make/model name or # on the pc case.  I bought the pc second hand about 2-3 yrs ago.

I am having a HUGE problem and I am hoping some of you nice folks can help me.  I'm not an IT expert, I just have basic pc knowledge.  So, whatever additional info you require, please just ask away.

Background:  About a week a go, I went on a online blackjack game website.  I did NOT download anything, just played a few hands online and left.  Ever since then, my pc has been rebooting all by itself.  At first, it was every hour or so, then slowly but surely, it became much more frequent.  So much more that it started to even reboot while the OS was rebooting!.  So it didn't even re-boot at times.  It would start to reboot again while I was seeing the Win XP log on screen.  I looked at the Windows "event log" and I found the culprit to be as follows:

Faulting application pprekop.exe, version 4.2.0.172, faulting module ole32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2182, fault address 0x10017bed.

I did a search on this file/virus/malware/whatever it is, and couldn't find any solutions.  Therefore I thought that by re-installing my XP Pro, I would be rid of the problem.  But apparently, not.  So at this point, I am not sure what is still causing the PC to re-boot by itself.  Is that file still somehow affecting my pc?  Is it an old BIOS ver?  Is it power supply?  I just don't know.  I do not hear any PHYSICAL sounds that would suggest any of the cooling fans malfunctioning, CPU or power supply.  The RAM tests are fine.  Since I could not find any support for this MB model anymore, I just don't know what to do at this point.

Current OS: XP Pro SP2 - I have re-installed the OS and I am still having the same "self rebooting" problems.  I couldn't even get to download SP3 due to the constant rebooting.  Further, during the XP re-install, the PC re-booted several times during the process, but I was finally able to complete the re-install after multiple tries.  I deleted partition, tried full format several times, and even tried the quick format.  But it finally did install.
Previous OS when the problem started: XP Pro SP3 - fully updated.
More info:  This re-boot problem is ONLY when I am in "Normal" mode.  As I am typing this, I am logged in under "Safe mode with Networking".  I don't know why, but the PC is fine while in safe mode.

I am not a rich person and I DESPERATELY need this computer to get back to behaving normally.  I will GLADLY give credits to ANYONE who can help me. 

"Help me OB1, you're my only hope!"

Thanks to all in advance.

Vince

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18317
Posted:8/29/2010 6:15:00 AM # 2
Hi Vince..

I think you have a Pundit R series Barebones system...

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Barebone/Pundit/manual/e1514_pundit-r.pdf

I'm surprised it stayed up long enough to allow an operating system installation...  Can you get the system into the BIOS without the reboot...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Vince
Level :
Posted:8/29/2010 6:50:00 AM # 3
Hi Ulrich, thanks for the quick response!

"
Can you get the system into the BIOS without the reboot...?"

I am ok when in safe mode, so I can do a normal shutdown, then start up and hit the delete key to get to the BIOS.  Is that what you meant?

Thanks,

Vince

PS:  Is there a way to be notified when somebody responds?  I noticed that you replied more than 30 mins ago and had I known, I would have replied sooner.  Thanks again!

Vince
Level :
Posted:8/29/2010 7:26:00 AM # 4
Ulrich, FYI...

I just tried logging in under the "Normal" mode and I found that now the pc is "freezing" after logging in.  So now there's another problem!  Before, it was just the problem of the pc rebooting itself.  But now it seems the pc is "freezing" up as well.

Please help...I'm ready to hang myself....

Vince

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/29/2010 9:11:00 AM # 5

Hi Vince...

There is no longer an E-Mail notification feature for our Forum.. so you have to log in and check 'My Posts'

Since the system works OK in safe mode and since you can enter the BIOS, the issue is an operaitng system driver...  but in normal Windows mode, you start using a lot more memory than in Safe Mode.  The freezing seems to suggest that you may have a problem with memory in the system.. although some other hardware issue could be at the heart of the matter.

If you have more than one memory module, see if removing all but one maks any difference.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Vince
Level :
Posted:8/29/2010 11:27:00 AM # 6
Hi Ulrich,

"Since the system works OK in safe mode and since you can enter the BIOS, the issue is an operaitng system driver...  but in normal Windows mode, you start using a lot more memory than in Safe Mode.  The freezing seems to suggest that you may have a problem with memory in the system.. although some other hardware issue could be at the heart of the matter."

I think I found the answer to the freezing problem.  When I re-installed XP and had to reinstall the ASUS chipset files, I realized that I had a yellow question mark next to the "PCI Flash Memory" in device manager.  Luckily I had the driver from an earlier problem when I had to reinstall the ASUS chipset and was able to fix the device driver problem for the "PCI Flash Memory".  Now I no longer have any yellow question marks within device manager.  I will have to see if this fix stays permanent though.

"If you have more than one memory module, see if removing all but one makes any difference.
"

I tried that but didn't work.  Now as soon as I log into my admin user, it reboots again.  I looked at my event viewer and saw this error with a "red circle X" - this occurred about the exact time when it rebooted again.

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Fips
intelppm

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
"

I am going to put the other RAM chip back in and see if I get the same error.

I noticed that in previous posts, people looking for the "PCI Flash Memory" driver.  If anyone is reading this and still needs the PCI Flash Memory driver for a P4R8L mobo, please post and I will send it to those who might still need it.

Ulrich, what do you suggest as the next level of debugging this problem?  I read of rebooting issues associated with a power supply problem along with maybe an outdated BIOS problem.  Before I get a new power supply, do you think updating my BIOS might help?   And if so, which file do I need to update my BIOS for this mobo? Model #P4R8L Rev 1 03

Thanks again for your help so far.

Vince

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/29/2010 10:33:00 PM # 7
Hi Vince,,

You can find all the available software through this link...

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Pundit-R&product=8

The next thing to consider is that some operating system software got corrupted...  so one thing to try is to run CHKDSK on your boot drive.  You can do that through Safe Mode.. in your 'My Computer' screen, right click on your boot drive and select properties and then tools and then error checking.  Then reboot and see if the error checking routine will start.

Vince
Level :
Posted:8/31/2010 6:58:00 AM # 8
Then reboot and see if the error checking routine will start.

Do you mean reboot in normal or in safe mode?

Also, do you think I should upgrade the BIOS or do you think this is not a BIOS issue?

Thanks again.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:8/31/2010 10:19:00 AM # 9
Hi Vince.. 

Just start the system normally..  Error checking should start in the Windows text mode.

Normally, unless you have added some hardware, these issues aren't related to the BIOS. 

Vince
Level :
Posted:8/31/2010 10:19:00 AM # 10
The error checking routine starts but fails to complete and reboots or freezes.  At this point, I'm thinking its dead.  I was really hoping it was fixable.  I tried reinstalling XP on a new SATA HD and that didn't work either.  I think I'm about to burn this thing...

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.