Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Crosshair III Formula  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]CPU Level Up New Topic
Murray
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/16/2010 9:14:00 AM # 1
I just bought the Crosshair 3 Formula and my install disk didn't have cpu level up on it. So I downloaded the latest AI Suite and it wasn't on there either. Can someone help me find it or a place to download it from. Thx

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Asus Crosshair III Formula ROG MoBo, AMD Phenom II X4 AM3 965BE at 3.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT 1600Mhz 7-7-7-20, Asus HD5970 2GB GDDR5 GPU (Accelero Xtreme 5970 Arctic Cooling), Gigabyte 1200W PSU, Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Cooler, Audio-GD FUN Vers.A DAC, Audio Technica ATH-A900TI LE Headphones, W7 H.Prem 64Bit, Razer Mamba™ Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse, Razer Lycosa™ Gaming Keyboard, Acer G24 Monitor (1920x1200).
Chris
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 46
Posted:8/16/2010 11:07:00 AM # 2
Murray:

CPU Level up refers to a feature of the Crosshair III motherboard as well as an optional application from ASUS.

Last I checked, the CPU Level up application came with the AISuite utility available for download from ASUS. You DO NOT need this utility however to utilize your Motherboard's CPU Levelup feature.

Simply boot into your BIOS setup screen and change the CPU Level Up option to your desired clock speed.

The options provided are 3.4Ghz, 3.6Ghz, and 3.8Ghz (Auto voltage adjustment required for 3.8Ghz).

If you're interested you can also try using the CPU Level up feature as a starting place for further overclocking by setting Level-up to your desired clock speed and then changing your FSB values and multipliers to further increase your desired speed.

Let me know if this helps... I'll also double check that CPU Level up is still offered as a component of the AISuite application.

Cheers!

Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.4 ghz, Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler, 4Gb AData DDR3 1600MHz (9-9-9-33), Crosshair III Mobo, WD Caviar Blue 320GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache, WD Caviar Black 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache, HIS Radeon HD 5750 1GB w/ASUS VH202T-P 20" LCD, Corsair 750w P/S, and Thermaltake Speedo Advance Case.
Murray
Level :
Posted:8/16/2010 3:34:00 PM # 3
Chris, Thanks for the detailed response. As I am new to OverClocking I am hesitant and still very unsure whether to proceed with it. But I ventured in a little bit... So I entered my BIOS and went searching for the CPU Lvl Up option. I found it in Ai Overclock Tuner within Extreme Tweaker. I changed Ai Overclock Tuner to CPU Lvl Up. However, I expected then that it would provide the options as you stated above to increase frequency. It didn't so I scrolled down and found that I could change the frequency within 'CPU/NB' Frequency. So I did to 3.6Ghz (I have the 965 BE running at default of 3.4Ghz) So I saved the change, rebooted and received a message that Overclocking had failed. So I reset my defaults and all was ok again. Questions: Did I enter the frequency in the correct location (CPU/NB Frequency)? I have Corsair Dominator RAM capable of 1600 but currently running at 1333. Can I change this to 1600 without changing anything else or could this create problems since the CPU Level Up has not worked?

Asus Crosshair III Formula ROG MoBo, AMD Phenom II X4 AM3 965BE at 3.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT 1600Mhz 7-7-7-20, Asus HD5970 2GB GDDR5 GPU (Accelero Xtreme 5970 Arctic Cooling), Gigabyte 1200W PSU, Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Cooler, Audio-GD FUN Vers.A DAC, Audio Technica ATH-A900TI LE Headphones, W7 H.Prem 64Bit, Razer Mamba™ Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse, Razer Lycosa™ Gaming Keyboard, Acer G24 Monitor (1920x1200).
Bell
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:8/17/2010 1:55:00 AM # 4
cpu level up never worked for me. I think it is a gimmick. im stuck still at 3.2 stock. I bet the only way it will work is if you have the memory in the QVL list which, dont exist anymore on the market so it was a gimmick and so is the EPU utility. I think the next motherboard I want is going to just have 1 pci-e 16x slot for video, and lots of pci-e 1x slots available for adding a good Intel Raid controller, a good sound card, a good networking adaptor and a good tv tuner(non asus brand) on it with their own processors on them. I need every bit of my cpu processing cycles because I run 3 VMWare instances of Eve Online, and 1 VMWare instance of JanusVM for Anonyminity and Privacy for OPENVPN, and frankly the 955 at stock is barely cutting the mustard! IF you are still reading this. Games seem to boost bigtime FPS if you just set it at 1600 memory and your exact timings up like the sticker on the sticks say including the exact voltage. You may just have a cpu that cant overclock at all. Please fill in your details Murray in your profile so we can see your specs every time you post.

Crosshair Formula III BIOS 1702 28' HANNS-G HG281D Monitor - only had vista 64 drivers OCZ Platinum 2x4gigs 1600 7,7,7,16,1T 1.95v. 2 Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X PCI-E 1gig stock X-fi pci-e that came with crosshair III 1 Intel SLC SSD 25-M Extreme w/latest firmware - operating system, apps 1 Sata Terabyte Western Digital Green Drive - storage 1 74 gig sata1 WD Raptor - games Saitek Eclipse II keyboard usb Logitech G9 Gaming mouse usb - latest firmware Antec Skeleton Open air design case Zalman 850 rohs Silver compliant Power Supply
Danny
Level :
Tech Points : 72
Posted:8/17/2010 3:06:00 AM # 5
Yes you can, and should, set your memory to run at 1600. The motherboard has an option for it, and you will ONLY change the memory, nothing else wich is what you want.

But when you do this, you might need to manually set correct DRAM voltage aswell as setting correct timings (for example 7-7-7-24 - you must check what yours are supposed to run at @ 1600).

To run at 1600, change "DRAM Frequency" to 1600 in BIOS.

As for CPU Level up, you missunderstand the purpose of this feature. This is meant for people who buy slower CPUs and want to make them run as a faster model.

For example, a person with a Phenom II X4 945 can use CPU level up to make his cpu run as a Phenom II X4 955. But you already have the X4 965 (3.4GHz), wich right now is the fastest quadcore from AMD, so there is nothing you can level up to.

If you want to overclock the CPU alone, change "Ai overclock tuner" to "manual", and then simply play with CPU Ratio. Your default is 16. If you increase it to 17, you will have 3.6GHz. If you increase it to 18 your CPU will be at 3.8GHz and so on.

Good luck!

Antec P180 | Silverstone Strider 600W | ASUS Crosshair III Formula | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz | 2x2GB OCZ Black Edition DDR3-1600 7-7-7-24-1T | Sapphire HD 4890 1GB | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX X-Fi | Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7 Professional X64
Murray
Level :
Posted:8/17/2010 7:41:00 PM # 6
Your right, I definately missed the intent of 'CPU Level Up'. So I followed your direction and altered DRAM Frequency to 1600 in the BIOS, changed my FSB to 240 - up from 200 and altered the multiplyer to 15 - down from 17. I read somewhere else on this forum that raising the FSB to 240 was a surefire way to ensure your RAM runs at 1600. That particular person had a computer with my spec's .... almost! I guess this overclock is quite mild compared to what I could do but I don't understand all of the volt changes etc that come with aggressive overclocking.... At what point do you think that voltages would need changing. I'm currently at 3.6Ghz and its stable and I've left everything on Auto other than those items described above. One thing I don't understand is is there any differences in outcomes if you increase the multiplyer as apposed to the FSB or do it the other way and increase the FSB and lower the multiplyer (as I did)??

Chris
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 46
Posted:8/18/2010 8:10:00 PM # 7
There is a difference in outcome due to the fact that your FSB has a direct correlation with your DRAM Frequency and your CPU multiplier does not. By setting your DRAM Freq. and increasing your FSB you've maximized the amount of bandwidth that your memory can safely handle. Once you've got that dialed in you can adjust your CPU multiplier and voltage to reach your desired clock speed.

(Warning) you must be very careful when adjusting CPU voltage. When increasing your multiplier to the point of instability you should only increase CPU Voltage by increments of 0.025 - 0.050.

Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.4 ghz, Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler, 4Gb AData DDR3 1600MHz (9-9-9-33), Crosshair III Mobo, WD Caviar Blue 320GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache, WD Caviar Black 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache, HIS Radeon HD 5750 1GB w/ASUS VH202T-P 20" LCD, Corsair 750w P/S, and Thermaltake Speedo Advance Case.
Danny
Level :
Tech Points : 72
Posted:8/19/2010 1:26:00 AM # 8
You do not need to have FSB at 240 to make sure memory runs at 1600.

When you select the 1600 option in BIOS, the motherboard itself will make sure your memory runs at 800MHz (you can verify using a program like CPU-Z).

That way you have already dealt with the memory, and that is why you could stick to only increasing the multiplier.

Right now you are increasing the FSB, and along with it the HTT. Since you have voltages on auto the motherboard might increase voltages automaticly so everything can run hotter than it really needs to.

For example making my RAM run at 1600 makes the auto setting for DRAM voltage go up to 1.77V. However my RAM is specced to run at 1600 on only 1.65. So the auto settings can really increase voltages quite alot.

Antec P180 | Silverstone Strider 600W | ASUS Crosshair III Formula | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz | 2x2GB OCZ Black Edition DDR3-1600 7-7-7-24-1T | Sapphire HD 4890 1GB | SyncMaster 2433BW 1920X1200 | Razer Lachesis | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX X-Fi | Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7 Professional X64
Bell
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:8/19/2010 1:53:00 AM # 9
if you have the black edition cpu, the whole point of that is so all you have to do is adjust your multiplier, or with the crosshair, just goto bios, change cpu level up to the first lowest hard setting for frequency choices and forget it. unfortnatly it dont work like that. I have so many links that prove other boards dont have issues with adjusting any other settings unless you want to go beyond the cpu level up choices. which in my case mine is the 955be so i get 3.4, 3.6, and 3.8 as hard set automatic all the way choices. since my ram only posts as 1066 with wrong timings and voltages for SPD, the cpu level up is not going to work. I would have to flash my spd on my ocz memory so it posts correctly on AUTO, then it MAY work but i have serious doubts for stability. EPU tool is neat, but unfortunatly its unstable on my setup because if I want to run my ram at full throttle as designed on the sticker on the stick, it VOIDS the EPU tool and it will just be more bloatware on your hard drive just like all the other tools Asus provides. I know this post isnt about my problems but I wanted to just chime in there with my experiance on worrying about even considering overclocking with Asus tools or even the bios CPU level up feature.

Crosshair Formula III BIOS 1702 28' HANNS-G HG281D Monitor - only had vista 64 drivers OCZ Platinum 2x4gigs 1600 7,7,7,16,1T 1.95v. 2 Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X PCI-E 1gig stock X-fi pci-e that came with crosshair III 1 Intel SLC SSD 25-M Extreme w/latest firmware - operating system, apps 1 Sata Terabyte Western Digital Green Drive - storage 1 74 gig sata1 WD Raptor - games Saitek Eclipse II keyboard usb Logitech G9 Gaming mouse usb - latest firmware Antec Skeleton Open air design case Zalman 850 rohs Silver compliant Power Supply
Murray
Level :
Posted:8/19/2010 7:53:00 PM # 10
Thankyou all for your input! This is crazy - as you guys answer my questions just more pop into mind! Anyway, my DRam Voltage has increased automatically to 1.7755V with the increase to 1600Mhz just as you said it would. But the strange thing is that CPU-Z says my DRam Frequency is 800Mhz and not 1600! What the?? My RAM (CMG4GX3M2B1600C7) came advertised at 7-7-7-20 however CPU-Z says its running at 9-9-9-24! Again... what the?? So finally how do I test the stability of my CPU increases? When you talk about instability do you mean system crashes?? I'm going to attempt some more OverClocking this weekend including my GPU. I'll let you guys know my progress.... Thx Again!

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.