ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Rampage III Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Onboard Sound Card Not Working New Topic
GaryM
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 52
Posted:7/26/2010 11:36:00 PM # 1
I've lost count the number of hours (days) I've now wasted trying to diagnose this issue and would like some more opinions before I throw in the towel and RMA my board.

After installing Windows 7 64-bit I noticed that the onboard sound card wasn't being detected and it didn't show up at all in Device Manager. Installing the Realtek drivers didn't resolve the detection issue so to eliminate Windows 7 as being the cause, I went back to installing Windows XP 32-bit to find exactly the same issue of no sound card device detected even with the Realtek drivers installed. This could only mean a hardware issue/conflict somewhere.

I removed and unplugged all unnecessary devices including the front panel headphone/mic connector from the board but this still didn't help. I even went back to a single memory stick to eliminate any potential memory issues (different single sticks tried in each of the 3 red slots).

I then decided to eliminate the graphics card (a Sapphire ATI Toxic HD5850) by removing it and putting a bog standard legacy card into the PCI slot instead. Interestingly, with the PCI card in place, the onboard sound device was actually detected in Device Manager, however with speakers plugged in the status just kept continually flipping back and forth between speakers plugged in and speakers not plugged in, and I could not get any sound to come from the speakers. This happens in both Windows 7 and Windows XP using the legacy PCI card. I've tried more than one set of speakers including headphones that all that work fine on another PC so it's not an issue with the speakers/headphomes themselves.

The last thing left to try was to re-seat the CPU. After doing this and refitting the Sapphire HD5850 again instead of the PCI card, Windows 7 booted up and the onboard sound card was immediately detected and played the windows startup theme. I rebooted multiple times and the onboard sound card was detected each and every time. I really thought I'd cracked the problem but unfortunately it was very short lived.

Playing some sounds would result in really bad crackle / static (namely the Skype sounds) and playing wma or mp3 files would result in occasional pops being heard or sometimes the sound just stopped halfway through requiring a reboot to get the sound working again.

I tried reinstalling the Realtek drivers again but after doing so I now get no sound at all even though the onboard sound card device is detected and the status of the speakers is showing as plugged in.

I seem to be going round in circles and am now at a complete loss now as to what the problem can be. Everything else on the board is working absolutely fine and it's just the sound which I can't get working. I have no clue if the problem is a driver issue or an actual hardware fault. I have tried versions of the BIOS from 0602 to 0802 all with the CMOS cleared and default settings loaded.

My hair is already falling out so any advice on what I should do next would be very much appreciated.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
GaryM
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/27/2010 7:23:00 AM # 2
I guess what I'm really asking is that based on my testing, is the fault more likely to be with the board itself or might there be a fault with the processor (an i7-930) which is causing these problems with the onboard audio device?

peanutskeeter
Level :
Tech Points : 13
Posted:7/27/2010 7:34:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: GaryM Posted: 7/27/2010 7:23:00 AM

I guess what I'm really asking is that based on my testing, is the fault more likely to be with the board itself or might there be a fault with the processor (an i7-930) which is causing these problems with the onboard audio device?

I would without a doubt, say it's the board.  RMA it...

Core i7 980x @ 3.7 ghz Asus Rampage III Extreme Dual HIS HD 5770 Dual Intel 80GB SSD (RAID 0) Quad Seagate Barracuda 1TB (RAID 10) Corsair Water Cooling Corsair PSU: 850 Watt Modular Corsair Memory: Dominator 2000MHZ 6GB Corsair Case: Obsidian 800D
Rock
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:7/27/2010 10:58:00 AM # 4
Hi Gary,

I have owned this board from its release date and this same issue happened to me and I almost RMAd it.  I have seen about 3-4 other people in this forum with the same problem.  "No audio output device installed"  I think Asus needs to start addressing this issue becasue it is real.

Here is what I would recommend if you want to get it working and not RMA it.  You will need to pull the battery out for about 1 minute then clear the CMOS.  I also believe an RMA of your video card might be warranted if you can do that.  If not make sure you only use it in the first slot from now on.  Don't even attempt to put it in another slot.

I know you said you tried another video card and it still didn't work, but bear with me.  The same thing happned to me.  The BIOS gets all out of wack and after you clear the CMOS and pull the battery and let the power cycle it should be ok. 

This problem happend to me when I was running SLI using a particular brand of card.  I RMAd both of those cards and bought a single GTX 470 and have no problems now. 

I called ASUStek support about it and they said it was a problem with the video card audio IRQ conflicting with the on board sound so he told me to call the video card maker.

I thought it was a bunch of shit and I am still pissed about that.  There should be something in the BIOS to disable VGA audio if this is the case, but to my knowledge there is not.

Give it time keep power cycling and clearing the CMOS.  It should work eventually. 

One final option is to buy a seperate audio card...I know it sounds stupid since there is already on board sound but some people actually like to get better sound boards.

Let me know,

--Rock

X79 Sabertooth/ core i7 3930k @4.6 Ghz 1.36 CPUv /Crucial H60 CPU Cooler/ Crucial Tracer ballistix DDR 3 1600 12GB @ 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 2T/Nvida GTX 680/ Kingston HyperX SSD SATA 3 120GB SSD x 2 RAID 0/1000 watt kingwin PSU
HHC
Administrator
Level :
Tech Points : 9939
Posted:7/27/2010 2:15:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Rock Posted: 7/27/2010 10:58:00 AM

Hi Gary,

I have owned this board from its release date and this same issue happened to me and I almost RMAd it.  I have seen about 3-4 other people in this forum with the same problem.  "No audio output device installed"  I think Asus needs to start addressing this issue becasue it is real.

Here is what I would recommend if you want to get it working and not RMA it.  You will need to pull the battery out for about 1 minute then clear the CMOS.  I also believe an RMA of your video card might be warranted if you can do that.  If not make sure you only use it in the first slot from now on.  Don't even attempt to put it in another slot.

I know you said you tried another video card and it still didn't work, but bear with me.  The same thing happned to me.  The BIOS gets all out of wack and after you clear the CMOS and pull the battery and let the power cycle it should be ok. 

This problem happend to me when I was running SLI using a particular brand of card.  I RMAd both of those cards and bought a single GTX 470 and have no problems now. 

I called ASUStek support about it and they said it was a problem with the video card audio IRQ conflicting with the on board sound so he told me to call the video card maker.

I thought it was a bunch of shit and I am still pissed about that.  There should be something in the BIOS to disable VGA audio if this is the case, but to my knowledge there is not.

Give it time keep power cycling and clearing the CMOS.  It should work eventually. 

One final option is to buy a seperate audio card...I know it sounds stupid since there is already on board sound but some people actually like to get better sound boards.

Let me know,

--Rock
The HDMI audio device can only be disabled under Device Manager, and not under BIOS configuration screen, as BIOS has no capability to load driver, making it impossible to see the HDMI audio device anyway.

本討論區中並沒有華碩客服人員進駐,若您在討論區無法找到適切的答案,或是希望直接與華碩工程師對話時,請透過技術支援表單詢問。網址:http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
華碩「筆記型電腦」與「EEE PC」的使用者也可以透過線上即時交流系統(目前為測試中)與華碩工程師線上即時交流。網址:http://vip.asus.com/im_tw/imLogin.aspx
服務時間:週一至週五(09:00 - 18:00)
GaryM
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/27/2010 6:16:00 PM # 6

Hi Rock,

While I really didn't want to have to RMA the board, if there's a hardware fault that isn't BIOS related then I think I would prefer to get the board replaced with a non-faulty one so the problem doesn't come back to bite me again in the future. After all, these boards are ASUS' flagship product and for the extortionate amount of money they are being sold for, they should be working perfectly in every way and we shouldn't have to be living with a workaround to a hardware issue. I don't particularly want to get an additional sound card when the onboard one should be working and should be more than good enough for my needs.

I will definitely try your suggestion anyway out of curiosity but I think the board is going back to ASUS because having to go through all that hassle every time the sound card isn't detected again is unacceptable. I'll let you know what the outcome of doing this is.

If there's a possibility of an IRQ conflict with some graphics cards then ASUS should be providing some way of changing the IRQ of the onboard sound card in the BIOS...but they don't. I've already tried the graphics card in a different PCIe slot and have also tried disabling the HDMI audio device of the graphics card in Device Manager but neither solved the problem I'm having with the MB onboard sound device.

The thing is, as it currently stands both the sound devices on my board and on the graphics card show up in Device Manager and the onboard sound device on is showing speakers plugged in but I just get no sound at all. Reinstalling the drivers does nothing to resolve the problem.

Rock
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:7/28/2010 4:09:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: HHC Posted: 7/27/2010 2:15:00 PM

Quote:
Author: Rock Posted: 7/27/2010 10:58:00 AM

Hi Gary,

Let me know,

--Rock
The HDMI audio device can only be disabled under Device Manager, and not under BIOS configuration screen, as BIOS has no capability to load driver, making it impossible to see the HDMI audio device anyway.

Hey HHC, thanks for the reply on this.  Do you think you can ask your ASUS contact about a potential PCI conflict with particular video cards which casues the aucio to go out?

Also, when I said there should be something in the BIOS to address this issue, I had no idea if it was possible or not to diable the audio VGA.  However, I was brainstorming and logically there has to be something ASUS can do to prevent this from occurring.  I cannot and will not believe that this is completely a video card manufacturer problem. 

--Rock

X79 Sabertooth/ core i7 3930k @4.6 Ghz 1.36 CPUv /Crucial H60 CPU Cooler/ Crucial Tracer ballistix DDR 3 1600 12GB @ 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 2T/Nvida GTX 680/ Kingston HyperX SSD SATA 3 120GB SSD x 2 RAID 0/1000 watt kingwin PSU
GaryM
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/28/2010 6:22:00 AM # 8

Hi Rock,

Well I have tried what you suggested and there is some wierd stuff going on.

I turned off the power to the board, pulled the CMOS battery for 60 seconds then replaced it again before re-applying power to the board, clearing the CMOS using the button on the back and then powering up the PC. Below are the results:-

1. On first boot up the Windows 7 startup sound was working perfectly with no static/crackles. Once logged in, I tried playing the Skype sounds that were particularly bad previously and everything was fine with those too.
  2. I rebooted the PC and this time round the sound crackled as windows was starting. I tried playing the Skype sounds and the static/crackle was really bad.
  3. I rebooted a second time to find no startup sound was played at all. The sound card was showing up in Device Manager and speaker status was showing as plugged in but no sound would play...just silence.
  4. I rebooted a third time but was faced with the same problem again as (3).
  5. I rebooted a fourth time and this time the onboard sound card wasn't even detected at all (not listed in Device Manager).

I pulled the CMOS battery again and went through the same procedure you suggested as before. Following this, the first bootup played sound but it was crackly and on all subsequent reboots after that either the onboard sound card was either detected but no sound would play, or the onboard sound card wasn't detected at all. Whichever one of these latter two states occurred was completely random on each reboot but either way, following the first bootup after the CMOS was initially cleared, I could no longer get any sound after that.

If it was a hardware conflict issue then surely the onboard sound card just wouldn't be detected at all (?) I can't see how a conflict would cause the onboard sound card to be detected but just not allow it to play any sound, or cause it to play static/crackling sound. Or could it???

My conclusion therefore is that the sound card components on my board are fubarred and an RMA now seems to be the only real option left. Time to start dismantling everything again I guess and put it all back in the box. Very disappointing after I had to wait 2 months for delivery of this board :-(

GaryM
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/29/2010 12:36:00 AM # 9
Well the board has been RMA'ed and was shipped back to the supplier today. The supplier won't issue me with a replacement until they've done a full test on the board I've sent back to verify the reported problem exists which I'm told will take at least a couple of weeks, so another painful wait.

GaryM
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/2/2010 6:30:00 PM # 10

After complaining about having to wait 2 weeks, I have to give top marks to the supplier for getting another board to me so quickly.

Anyway, the replacement board is now fitted and the result is that the onboard sound card on the new board is working absolutely fine with the same CPU, memory and graphics card fitted so it proves that the sound card components on the original board were definitely fauly and it wasn't a conflict issue with my graphics card.

Unfortunately it looks like this new replacement board might also be going back too as it appears to be suffering from the CPU temperature reading issue others are finding with this board (detailed in this thread) :-(

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.