SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > EAH4850 Series  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Sudden overheat problem with EAH 4850 TOP Video card New Topic
ssua
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/8/2010 9:19:00 PM # 1
I installed the video card on my dell pc, with Vista 64bit system. I don't play any intensive video games, so the usage on CCC shows always below 50%, and temperature is under 60 degree. But once in a couple of days, the card temperature will suddenly surge to over 110 degree, (very fast, about 1-2 degree every 5 sec), all the while GPU usage around 0% and fan speed is 100%, then computer shut down when its around 120 degree. It shouldn't be thermo paste problem, since I touch the heat sink and its actually all very hot, over 120 degree. Anyone have any idea what can cause this, and any fix for it? Thanks alot.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Hardwood
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 607
Posted:7/8/2010 11:54:00 PM # 2
sounds weird. I'd install MSI afterburner and set up a fan profile. Also keep the OSDserver's graph visible so you can see if anything in particular is using the gpu when this happens.

Gigabyte GA-Ma790FX-DS5(F8G), Phenom II X4 955BE, ASUS EAH5870/V2, Xonar D2X, 4x 1GB OCZ 1066 ram @800, Antec Truepower New 750,Win8pro x64
GrStaKa
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:8/19/2010 12:07:00 AM # 3
Don't let the forum mods and VIPs fool you.

The Card has a BIOS Issue. These cards can commonly reach high enough temperatures to boil water.

The root cause is a high frame rate / anti-aliasing. There is a BIOS update to resolve the "Fan" issue... and it does not even install properly.

The most common VIP responce is to buy a new cooler (which costs anywhere to half to = price as the card itself did)... or update the BIOS (the bios update is reported to work on Windows XP and no other operating systems)

If you play games like SC2 - you WILL over heat at the log in screen. You must play the game without anti-aliasing and clamp the FPS (enable V-sync) or you WILL crash non-stop.

If your poor like I am -

1) do not expect help here - After a year of following up nothing has ever been done to resolve this issue

2) Do not bother under clocking your card and or using the ATI tool to increase the fan to 100% at all times- it doesnt work

3) DO - beg your friends for an old video card they aren't using anymore the EAH4850 is garbage.

Personally, I will never buy another ASUS product again. I also have a P4 Series mobo which chain rebooted / overclocked itself when ever it felt like it. 6 BIOS updates later its finally stable.

Mike
Level :
Posted:3/23/2011 6:57:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: GrStaKa Posted: 8/19/2010 12:07:00 AM

Don't let the forum mods and VIPs fool you.

The Card has a BIOS Issue. These cards can commonly reach high enough temperatures to boil water.

The root cause is a high frame rate / anti-aliasing. There is a BIOS update to resolve the "Fan" issue... and it does not even install properly.

The most common VIP responce is to buy a new cooler (which costs anywhere to half to = price as the card itself did)... or update the BIOS (the bios update is reported to work on Windows XP and no other operating systems)

If you play games like SC2 - you WILL over heat at the log in screen. You must play the game without anti-aliasing and clamp the FPS (enable V-sync) or you WILL crash non-stop.

If your poor like I am -

1) do not expect help here - After a year of following up nothing has ever been done to resolve this issue

2) Do not bother under clocking your card and or using the ATI tool to increase the fan to 100% at all times- it doesnt work

3) DO - beg your friends for an old video card they aren't using anymore the EAH4850 is garbage.

Personally, I will never buy another ASUS product again. I also have a P4 Series mobo which chain rebooted / overclocked itself when ever it felt like it. 6 BIOS updates later its finally stable.

This^^^^^
Not sure about the root cause, but I have experienced this and more. By far the worst 3d graphics card I have EVER bought (over 15 years of computer gaming). It either jumps temp as described, or the driver and/or computer crashes...completely at random. I have tried EVERYTHING, from third party HSF to extreme underclocking, to reloading several different OS's and drivers. It is completely random, one day it will work fine for 8 hours of heavy gaming, the next it will crash every 10 to 30 minutes, even in 2d. When it crashes hard (red light on card lights up) it sometimes corrupts the motherboard BIOS. It ruined the ASUS P5b? Motherboard (another horror story) I had when the problem first started to manifest itself, which I thankfully replaced with a Gigabyte MB with BIOS backup, now when it crashes hard and has a BIOS checksum error, the BIOS gets restored from backup.

I have seen stories all over the net about all 4850's, and especially this one overheating, and both ASUS and ATI continually deny that anything is wrong. This makes the final answer simple: never buy AMD or ASUS again...ever. I am NVIDIA, MSI, and Gigabyte from now on, as they have never come close to failing me as these companies have. 

Matt
Level :
Posted:11/15/2011 2:33:00 PM # 5
Mine reached 130C commonly while playing SC2 at masters league level!!!! My PC would shut down or I'd get weird artifacts and the computer would lock up. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to lose a big game because of your crappy video cards!!!? ASUS are a bunch of crooks!!!!!!!!!!! My brother even had his sent back to ASUS and refurbished with 2x larger heatsink/fan and it still overheated occasionally. What a joke

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.