ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Maximus Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Is this ram compatible with my motherboard ? New Topic
DI TRENTO
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/12/2010 1:17:00 AM # 1
Hello,
My mobo is an Asus Maximus Extreme, my upc Intel core2 quad Extrteme QX9650@3.81 GHz, my O.S. Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits.

I'd like to change my ram to a watercooled ram, I'd like to buy OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Flex EX Low Voltage Triple Channel (3 sticks, 7-7-7-24, 1.65 Volts)

I'd like to know if it is fully compatible with my mobo, This ram is
Triple Channel (3 sticks of ram, optimize for Intel i7) and if I can keep my overclocking ?

The voltage of this ram is 1.65 Volts, but the bios of my mobo has only 1.64V and 1.66V, not 1.65V, which one do I select ?

Thanks for your responses.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18477
Posted:6/12/2010 4:48:00 AM # 2
Hi D..

This is what OCZ lists as compatible with your board...

http://memoryselector.cnetchannel.com/ocztech/result.asp?fk_class=6569&manufacturer_id=712&model_id=623992

Not much they will stand behind and guarantee so its best to contact them.  Then if what you get doesn't work, you have some recourse.

It is generally easiest to use the 'AI Overclock Tuner' XMP setting to get memory that is compatible running at its best speed.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
DI TRENTO
Level :
Posted:6/12/2010 3:37:00 PM # 3
Thanks a lot for your answer. I've phone to OCZ who told me that the triple channel is compatible with my mobo (it seems that they want only to sell) but the OCZ' french forum told me that it only compatible with the X58 chipset and not to set my voltage superior to 1.65V to the low voltage ram.

Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18477
Posted:6/12/2010 9:41:00 PM # 4
Hi D..

OCZ memory would never be my first choice... it can work but there are many problems with it in Asus boards...

Have a look at these links for good quality guaranteed memory kits for your board...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Maximus%20Extreme
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=386378

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=42315&mfr=ASUS%2FASmobile&model=Maximus+Extreme+Motherboard&search_type=&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=42315-ASUS%2FASmobile-Maximus+Extreme+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
DI TRENTO
Level :
Posted:6/16/2010 5:27:00 PM # 5
Thanks for your answer, I'm waiting for an answer of Gskill for a F3-12800CL7D-4GBPI-B vendor.

parisi
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:9/28/2010 2:40:00 PM # 6
I go with corsair only.

I had a few sticks of memory loose their heat sinks (taking a chip with it).  This caused the heatsink to fall on my video card and burn out both the video card and mobo.  I ended up getting over $3,000 worth of RAM from corsair for their mistake.  Turns out they had a quality issue with a new employee not mixing the thermal paste right.

I know that this type of mistake is highly rare, and that it could of happened to any manufacturer.  They actually couldn't beleive what happened as this had never happened to them.  They where extremely upset by this and went the extra mile to do what was right.

Corsair did NOT duck blame, they acknowledged their mistake, upgraded My Ram, Doubled the ammount of Ram I had and then also sent me another set of the broken RAM.  Then sent it overnight.  I ended up with their top ended DDR3 and enough of their top rated DDR2 to upgrade my wife's computer.  At the time this happened their DDR3 1800Mhz was selling for $1,000 for 2 gigs.

I replaced the MoBo with the Maximus Extreme, and My video card was RMA'd too the manufacturer (EVGA) with their full knowledge of what happened.  Unfortunately the MoBo was Asus, and they where not inclined to replace their product due to the circumstances.

During this process I was in constant contact with the vice president of quality assurance, and was offered even more then what I ended up taking (they offered a new MoBo).  They are not in the business of playing games, and are definitely interested in providing top quality products and top quality customer service.

I did not take their offer to replace the motherboard because they where so gracious with the DDR2->DDR3 upgrade.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.