Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M4A785TD-M EVO  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]No video output New Topic
kuripot
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/30/2010 1:36:00 PM # 1
Rebuilding a computer using new and re-used parts and there is no video output to the monitor. I am using the onboard video. When I switch the psu on, the green led on the motherboard lights up. When I press the computer power switch, cpu fans spins up and stays on. I wait but monitor stays blank.

Here's what I"ve done and tried so far:
-I tried the VGA, HDMI, and DVI video outputs.
-cleared CMOS.
-installed memory in pairs, in both slots, and single in all slots.
-I tried to boot with no memory. Even if I had bad memory would I be able to get to POST and then to BIOS?
-removed all parts except cpu, cpu fan, psu power cables, and ram.

Here are my specs: Phenom II 550 (reusing from old build) Asus M4A785TD-M EVO rev. 1.02G (bought used, new to me) Corsair 620HX (bought from friend, new to me) Super Talent DDR3 1600 2x1GB CL7 1.8v W1600UX2PG (new, but not listed as supported) Acer with HDMI, VGA, DVI inputs (reusing from old build)

I don't have a motherboard speaker so I don't know if there are any beeps going off, but will try to get one soon. In the meantime is there anything I can try or is there a way to find out what BIOS version is installed? While I wait for responses I'll try a crt monitor, and maybe breadbox.

Pretty frustrating but hopefully someone can help me figure this out.:banghead: If you need any more info to diagnose the problem please let me know.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
kuripot
Level :
Posted:5/31/2010 12:27:00 PM # 2
Tried it breadboxed, but still have the same issues.

kuripot
Level :
Posted:6/3/2010 12:52:00 AM # 3
Any ideas? Even though this ram isn't on the support list, shouldn't it still allow me to post? Someone on another forum mentioned that the motherboard can't support the 1.8 v ram, that I need a 1.5-1.6 DDR3 ram. Is this true?

Ed
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 417
Posted:6/3/2010 4:56:00 AM # 4
Your best bet would be to get a motherboard speaker. If you build it outside the case on an insulated surface with no RAM and you get no beeps then you have either a faulty PSU, motherboard or less likely CPU. It could also be your motherboard needs a BIOS update depending on which Phenom II 550 you have.

M4A785TD-M EVO CPU Support

You may be able to see which BIOS version your mobo shipped with on a thin white sticker (last 4 digits)

Here's a couple of checklists you can go through that may help.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html

Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing

You won't be able to get into the BIOS with no memory btw. If you do get beeps without the memory and no beeps with it then the problem would most likely be the memory.

kuripot
Level :
Posted:6/8/2010 5:59:00 AM # 5
I have the C2 550. Support list says I need at least BIOS version 0604. The sticker on the board says 0603. How do I go about updating the BIOS since I can't even get a post or BIOS screen?
Do I need to buy a cpu that is compatible with 0603 in order to update to at least 0604?

Ed
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/8/2010 7:23:00 AM # 6
The CPU support page says you need 0304 but the first BIOS release is stated as 0603. I think 0304 only came with boards that have a PCB revision of 1.02G. In other words your BIOS version is higher so it should be OK.

Did you get a motherboard speaker?

kuripot
Level :
Posted:6/8/2010 9:35:00 AM # 7
That's where is confusing. According to this page: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M4A785TD-M%20EVO&product=1
The original BIOS is 0603, and I need at least 0604.
But according to this page: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?model=M4A785TD-M%20EVO&SLanguage=en-us
They mention 0304, but I don't even see that revision on the first page I linked which shows the BIOS revision history.

I'm very confused. So you are saying that my PCB is a newer revision that should support my CPU since it is at 0603? But my PCB version is 1.02G?!
I did pick up a speaker, no beeps. I only connected the CPU, cpu fan, and power supply cables.

Ed
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/8/2010 5:54:00 PM # 8
All you need to know really is your motherboard supports the CPU as you have PCB revision 1.02G and BIOS version 0603.

Did you go through the checklists I posted and did you try building it outside the case?

Try another PSU if you can and if it still won't post you should RMA the motherboard.

kuripot
Level :
Posted:6/9/2010 4:46:00 AM # 9
Yup, already taken out of the case and have gone thru the checklist several times, and have tried a working Antec 380W Earthwatts psu as well as a Corsair HX620. I suppose the last resort is to call Asus Tech support.
Thanks for all the help, Ed.

kuripot
Level :
Posted:6/9/2010 7:35:00 AM # 10
Tested the motherboard speaker to make sure it wasn't faulty, and it beeped on a GIgabyte board I have...

Spoke to Tony at Asus Tech support, couldn't help me boot it up so called it DOA. Setup an RMA. Hopefully the replacement will work.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.