ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G60Jx  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]G60Jx New Topic
matt
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/24/2010 2:27:00 AM # 1
I'm getting GPU temperatures of around 55-70c while idle and close to 100c while playing games, doesn't crash but when it gets hot I start getting graphical anomalies. I have the all the latest drivers. Completely updated, including directX, C++ runtimes, VCredistributables. Any thoughts?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Kimo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 217
Posted:5/26/2010 11:54:00 PM # 2
Do you have a notebook cooler?  You can try using a better thermal compound, but that will void your warranty.

Col.Sanders
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/20/2010 7:36:00 PM # 3
Sorry to post on this thread but I can't seem to create a new thread because 'Notebook' is not an option when setting up a new thread... Weird! I have a G60JX and it RANDOMLY freezes when connecting and/or disconnecting the A/C adapter in the back of the laptop. I actually went to Best Buy and exchanged it for another one and it still does the same thing. I also noticed that about 5-6 of the Best Buy reviews for G60JX stated they are having the same issue with the laptop freezing when connecting/disconnecting the power. The Geek Squad said it's most likely a Windows 7 issue. I have contacted ASUS support and they advised me to reinstall the ATKOSD2 Utility file and the Power4Gear Hybrid Utility file. Unfortunately, neither helped.

boujhi
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:6/22/2010 5:34:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: matt Posted: 5/24/2010 2:27:00 AM

I'm getting GPU temperatures of around 55-70c while idle and close to 100c while playing games, doesn't crash but when it gets hot I start getting graphical anomalies. I have the all the latest drivers. Completely updated, including directX, C++ runtimes, VCredistributables. Any thoughts?

I have the g60 jx. It ok if it runs hot, I have a cooling pad just because its smart with this notebook. I mine has never shut-off by-its-self. Your problem is probably poor installation. Whoever installed the Gpu probably did a poor job on the thermal paste because this notebook runs copper on-top of the cpu and gpu and then runs it to a heatsink with an outgoing fan to push the air out. Basicly, what you are seening is your Gpu isnt able to get rid of all the heat properly. The System Bios has a self-shut down when it hits a certain temp. Umm, If you can. take it in or DIY, and have the thermal paste checked. As well as the copper heatsink. Make sure there are no cracks in the metal and the copper isnt blemished. (blemished copper isnt pure copper > and therefore can not transferrer heat properly) And if it is the thermal paste, just either 1) send in the notebook to have it checked or 2) carefully remove the little sticker that will void your warranty if removed and put it back after you DIY. GOOD LUCK!

Hawkins
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/13/2010 5:52:00 AM # 5
I also have the same problem (occasionally), but it is only when I plug the AC cord back in. I also have freeze-ups (again, occasionally) when I plug in my printer cord to USB port. Very annoying; besides not being able to print, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL will snap it out of the freeze--I have to re-start the machine. Don't have an answer, nor have I tried what you said ASUS support suggested...I'm trying to figure out how to work around the problem some other way. Don't really want to try something to no avail, or make things worse.

Spanish teacher
Col.Sanders
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/14/2010 4:53:00 AM # 6
Concerning the freezing issue, I also updated the BIOS to the latest version (per ASUS tech support) but that didn't work either. They told me to RMA the laptop back to Jeffersonville, IN so an engineer could investigate further. It's been about a week since they received it and no news yet...   Will post a response when I hear something...

Hawkins
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/14/2010 6:33:00 AM # 7
Will look for a new post when you hear something. Hate the idea of having to send unit out; there must be a workaround, if they can figure out what the issue is. Curious thing is (at least in my case), is that if I anticipate that I might have a freeze problem with either the AC or printer cord, and slow down hooking things up for a second before I do--nothing happens out of the ordinary! But if I am rushing around not thinking about having a problem, that is when it has always froze on me. Blasted thing seems to need some human consideration to work properly!

Spanish teacher
Col.Sanders
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/21/2010 5:27:00 AM # 8
Well, I finally got the laptop back this afternoon. It was gone roughly two weeks. According to the data sheet that I got back from ASUS, they installed a new motherboard. They tested it and it passed. I have also tested it myself by connecting and disconnecting the power souce numerous times. I haven't experienced any freeze issues... (yet) Keep my fingers crossed!

So what this is telling me is that apparently there are some G60JX's out there with defective motherboards. Like I said, this is my second G60JX fron Best Buy. They let me exchange the first one which was doing the same thing... Several other Best Buy G60JX buyers have also noted the same issue... Maybe just a bad batch of MB's?

I'll post back if anything new comes up...

woody84ro
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/21/2010 9:35:00 AM # 9
my laptop asus g60jx

Hellp !!! Pls...the computer don`t start even if the leds are on

the computer don`t start even if the leds are on it is not the first time when it is happening like this...but till now the computer started...this time dont whant to start.what can i do?i keept the start button pushed for 7 seconds.i took off the baterry,i tokk it of out of the power suplly and still nothing.what else can i do?

Col.Sanders
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/24/2010 2:59:00 AM # 10
Update: My freezing issue appears to be fixed with the new motherboard, but now I have two new issues since I got the laptop back... The back-lit keyboard function doesn't work any longer as well as the right click button on the touch pad... time for another service ticket... SIGH...

1 2  Next  Last
:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.