ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005HAB  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]I can't set up wireless on my new Asus 1005HAB New Topic
Bleiman
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/23/2010 11:35:00 PM # 1
I just received my refurbished Asus Eee with XP and am trying to connect it to my home network. It works fine wired but wirelessly it says I'm not connected and when I try to repair it, it cannot find my IP address. Everyone else's wireless is working and I have reset the router and modem. I went into my device manager and it says my wireless network adapter is enabled and working. I'm still a computer beginner but not afraid so I followed some instructions I found and ran cmd ipconfig/all. It said some things that may be the problem:
ip routing enabled ...no
wins proxy enabled...no
ethernet adapter wireless network connection Atheros AR9285
media state...media disconnected.
I checked the bios and the network is on, my wireless Fn-F2 says it's on.
I tried to update the driver but I apparently have the latests.
Any suggestions? 

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
wayne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 362
Posted:5/23/2010 11:49:00 PM # 2
first thing you need to do is to set all the wireless property to be the same as that of the router's wireless property, that includes SSID, channel width, authentication, encryption, password/passphrase, etc
when this is done, your laptop should find the router's SSID on site survey.
give it a try

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:5/24/2010 1:51:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Bleiman Posted: 5/23/2010 11:35:00 PM

I just received my refurbished Asus Eee with XP and am trying to connect it to my home network. It works fine wired but wirelessly it says I'm not connected and when I try to repair it, it cannot find my IP address. Everyone else's wireless is working and I have reset the router and modem. I went into my device manager and it says my wireless network adapter is enabled and working. I'm still a computer beginner but not afraid so I followed some instructions I found and ran cmd ipconfig/all. It said some things that may be the problem:
ip routing enabled ...no
wins proxy enabled...no
ethernet adapter wireless network connection Atheros AR9285
media state...media disconnected.
I checked the bios and the network is on, my wireless Fn-F2 says it's on.
I tried to update the driver but I apparently have the latests.
Any suggestions? 

Are you using the latest device driver for your Atheros? Does your WinXP have SP3 (for WPA2 support)? What security are you using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? What protocol is the AP set to? /A? /B? /G? /N?

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Bleiman
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/25/2010 3:47:00 AM # 4
I have little experience with these issues and don't know how to begin doing any of this. I don't know where to look, but I follow directions well. Sad to say I need step by step instructions.

Bleiman
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/25/2010 3:50:00 AM # 5
I appreciate your help but you are speaking a language I don't speak. Can you tell me where to look for the answers to your questions? Thanks.

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:5/25/2010 4:10:00 AM # 6
WinXp Service Pack:
Press and hold down Windows Key and hit Pause/Break-Key to open System Properties. You will see info about your Windows Xp with the Service Pack. Which version?

Security of your Access Point:
This is a point where you need to figure things out a little on your own. Why? Because there are so many different AP brands with their own specific setup. Plus I don't know if you have other PC's that are connected wired/wireless to the AP. You have to get in the AP setup page and find out your settings.

AP Protocol:
Here a little of the same as before. You'll just have to look around in your AP setup page to find out what Protocol has been set.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
wayne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 362
Posted:5/25/2010 1:12:00 PM # 7
OK, I re read your post and think over it,
a. your laptop CAN access internet when wired
b. other laptops wireless have no problem accessing internet.
c. you must have step by step instruction.
d. your IPCONFIG showed wireless card Atheros but Media is disconnected , which means it has problem getting IP address.

now you just check if your Laptop wireless is set at Automatic IP address.

1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.

2) Control Panel window will appear. Double click on Network Connections.

3) Network Connections window will appear. Right click correct Local Area Connection by identifying correct network card and click Properties.

4) Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on Properties.

TCP/IP Properties

this or similar will show your setting,, capture your setting and post here to study your issue

Manual 
Assign IP

actually you need to set this as Obtain an IP address automatically, as follow

DHCP 
Assigned IP

after doing this, reset you laptop, then power up again, check all steps and see what happen  and post here to study your issue

Quote:
Author: Bleiman Posted: 5/25/2010 3:50:00 AM

I appreciate your help but you are speaking a language I don't speak. Can you tell me where to look for the answers to your questions? Thanks.

I have little experience with these issues and don't know how to begin doing any of this. I don't know where to look, but I follow directions well. Sad to say I need step by step instructions.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.