Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P6X58D Premium  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Windows not seeing all my RAM New Topic
bigblu91gone
Level :
Tech Points : 36
Posted:5/17/2010 6:32:00 AM # 1
I posted in another thread and didn't get any response. I tried fixes suggested there but got nowhere.

I believe I reset my BIOS settings to default except for boot order change after reset. I was redoing some cables last night after having reset the BIOS and decided to do what was suggested somewhere to switch RAM to different slots. I did this. After the 1st restart, the PC said it needed a restart again for some reason. After that restart, Windows could see the 12GB. I figured it was fixed. I just checked again and it is back to seeing only 8GB. I haven't changed anything. CPU Z app. sees the 12GB's.

I paid a hefty price for the 12GB of RAM and would like to get the benefits. I haven't done any overclocking that I'm aware of. I used the AI Suite v1.06.09 for fan control to cut back on noise. At this point overclocking isn't a consideration until the RAM issue is fixed.

How can I set everything to defaults except for the fan control to make sure I haven't changed something that is causing this problem?

My Specs are: MB: P6X58D Premium
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
Memory: Kingston HyperX - KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX(XMP) 3 - 4GB sticks (QVL for this board)
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce 9800 GT 1GB PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail
Power Supply: PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-1000HX 1000W
Windows Ultimate 64 bit
BIOS 0703(after flashing back from 0808 to try to fix the problem)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Biff
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1522
Posted:5/17/2010 9:25:00 AM # 2
wow those sticks are like $860(3x4GB) but you could have used 6X2 GB for less than half that price. Are you planning on using 24GB down the track?

Anyway you can "load setup defaults" in the bios. Your fan settings will be the same because you're using AI suite in Windows.

Dont forget to set your memory voltage (dram bus voltage 1.64v) and memory in A1/B1/C1 slots. Or you can try the XMP profile to set the memory for you.

If you tried all the fixes (reseating cpu/checking for bent pins/refitting cooler etc) you need to test if its faulty ram or motherboard. ie Try each memory stick separately and see if it boots or try another set of memory.

Asus Z87Deluxe-Dual/Core i7 4770K/ Thermalright Ultra 120/Corsair Platinum 4x4GBs 1866Mhz(CMD8GX3M2A1866C9)/Intel 520 240GB SSD/Samsung 1TB HD/Pioneer Blu-ray 206BK/ Corsair AX850 PSU/MSI 680 Lightning/Samsung S23A950 120Hz /Windows 7 64bit/AudioEngine A2 Speakers/Osmium Aivia Mechanical keyboard/Krypton Aivia Mouse
sully211
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/17/2010 11:38:00 AM # 3
I'm on my second P6X58D board and have probably run Memtest v4.10 for over a month so far. I've finally just given up.

What I've found is that if my computer stays off all night when I boot up in the morning I only show 10GB. After waiting about 30 minutes, I reboot and the whole 12GB's show up. Also if I pull the plug before booting up I will show 12 GB's.

I've done everything possible to rectify this problem (checked for bent socket pins, changed from a heavy Noctua cooler to the Corsair H-50, used every possible bios configuration, swapped ram, etc. etc.) As you know if you do a search on this problem you have plenty of options.

If I had to guess what is causing all this I'd have to say it's a x58 chipset problem, or a problem that heat rectifies, some sort of memory controller issue, or this board just doesn't like my QVL ram. Anyway I think I've wasted enough time on it.

i7-975
OCZ3RPR1866C9LV6GK X 2
Corsair 100HX
XFX 5870
Win Premium Home 64bit
Bios 808

bigblu91gone
Level :
Posted:5/17/2010 9:43:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Biff Posted: 5/17/2010 9:25:00 AM

wow those sticks are like $860(3x4GB) but you could have used 6X2 GB for less than half that price. Are you planning on using 24GB down the track?

Anyway you can "load setup defaults" in the bios. Your fan settings will be the same because you're using AI suite in Windows.

Dont forget to set your memory voltage (dram bus voltage 1.64v) and memory in A1/B1/C1 slots. Or you can try the XMP profile to set the memory for you.

If you tried all the fixes (reseating cpu/checking for bent pins/refitting cooler etc) you need to test if its faulty ram or motherboard. ie Try each memory stick separately and see if it boots or try another set of memory.

Knock off about $160 and that is what I paid and yes I was considering down the road. I had an HP with an ASUS MB(still do as a backup)that was 9-10 years old and still running as well as it could so I thought ASUS was the way to go. I would have upgraded it more if I could have but it was maxed out. Now I don't know what to think(about ASUS), although I understand that maybe other brands are having the same problems.

I tried each stick in the A1 slot and the PC wouldn't boot. I then added a second stick to the B1 slot and it booted but only saw 4GB. I then tried 2 sticks in B1 and C1 and it saw 8GB as it should. I guess the A1 slot has a problem?

I set the dram bus voltage to 1.64v but I don't understand what you are saying about "memory in A1/B1/C1 slots." I see there are 2 settings in the bios for each slot. What settings should they be set at. I didn't know anything about the XMP profile but I looked it up and if I understand correctly it only works with certain RAM configurations and it didn't look like my RAM was included.

I haven't tried messing with the CPU or cooler. It seems pretty poor design for pins to get bent somehow. I took the protective cover off the MB CPU socket and correctly placed the CPU on the board. If pins were bent then they got bent before I received the board it would seem to me plus the board saw all the RAM at first. I don't know when it quit seeing it. Swapping the RAM around the other day made it see the all the RAM for a while but now it appears slot A1 is a problem.

I paid too much for a system for what I thought was suppose to be some of the best hardware. Too many people are having problems and it needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the response. If you have any other ideas or help with the things I didn't understand, please respond if you can.

One more thing to add, I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler. It is a bigger cooler with 2 120mm fans but it comes with an insulated backplate for support and my case has an opening in the MB mount for the backing plate. This is not the heaviest of the coolers out there that I saw but the board is made for OC and you have to have better than stock cooling and all the manufacturers knew this ahead of time.

Thanks again.

bigblu91gone
Level :
Posted:5/18/2010 9:14:00 AM # 5
Here is an update. I finally decided to pull the CPU cooler and CPU and check for bent pins even though I hated to mess with it. One thing I forgot to mention was that I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler with the dual 120mm fan setup. It's big. It requires a back plate on the MB. I went to remove the cooler retainer and 2 of the stand-offs that are bolted through the MB and backplate came with the retainer and the nuts on the back that held them on fell off.

I went on and removed the CPU and got out the magnifying glass and checked the CPU pins and I saw no bent pins. I replaced the CPU and then removed the stuck stand-offs and started to replace them. I got one on and was putting the 2nd one on and it twisted off.

Now I had a "no bettter than stock" CPU cooler. I had to go get the stock cooler that I had never used and install it. As I'm sure most here probably knows, the stock cooler needs no backplate and is held on with plastic clips through the holes in the MB.

The whole time I've done this, I left the RAM installed. I got everything hooked up and turned it on. When it got to the desktop it did ask for a restart for the CPU but after that restart it was seeing all my RAM. RAM socket A1 was now working.

This made me wonder if the cooler was distorting the board in some way or the weight hanging out is causing my problem anyway. I have contacted Cooler Master for a replacement stand-off. I'm going to keep an eye on the RAM recognition until I get the new part. It will be interesting to see if it messes up again after I put the Cooler Master back on. I'll be real careful mounting it back together. I checked the backplate on a flat surface to see if it was warped but it looked fine.

If anyone else is having this missing RAM problem and has a large CPU cooler and one with a backplate then that might be something to consider. I would think most people using this MB would have a large air cooler at least or water cooling as to OC.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.

Yellowbeard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 196
Posted:5/18/2010 10:01:00 AM # 6
Glad to see you solved it. And to answer your questions, yes, a CPU cooler can cause the issues you saw. I see it frequently with 1366 and 1156 boards using aftermarket coolers. Weight, overtightening, uneven pressure across the heat spreader, etc etc can all cause it.

Corsair Technical Support Artist
bigblu91gone
Level :
Posted:5/28/2010 11:57:00 AM # 7
Well, I thought the problem was figured out. It's just been a very few days since I did a random check on Windows seeing my RAM. I was looking for something else via Computer properties and there was 8GB and not 12GB. I haven't changed a thing and it still has the stock cooler in place which is what I thought the problem was because my aftermarket cooler was too heavy maybe or then that maybe it just needed some adjusting with the tightening down. I put the stock cooler in, which has no adjustment to clamping pressure, and the 12GB was back. Well, now I'm seeing 8GB with the stock cooler still in place.

I swapped the RAM around and that didn't fix it. I then tried one stick at a time in the A1 slot and no boot. I checked one more just  for the heck of it but I already figured it wouldn't boot and it didn't. I then put a stick each in B1 and C1 and booted fine seeing the 8GB's I would expect to see. This was something I saw before when troubleshooting, that there is an issue with A1. What I don't get is CPU-Z is seeing the 12GB still. How can that be? It can see something the bios can't?

I reset the defaults in the bios and then set the XMP profile. It set it to: 1600MHz,
BCLK Freq. - 133,
PCI Freq. - 100,
DRAM Freq. - DDR3-1600MHz
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.4000
DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66

I saw after it made these settings, that I it gave me a warning(about DRAM Bus Voltage) that
 "According to Inel CPU SPEC, DIMMs with voltage setting over 1.65 may damage CPU permanently." I have seen it suggested here in the forums to set the voltage at 1.64, which I did before I booted. I also changed the QPI to 1.35 from the 1.4 XMP set it at. If these values are wrong, then why does the XMP set them this way?

Anyway, any suggestions on what to do now? I received the part I needed to put the aftermarket cooler back on. It has spring loaded screw mounting. It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with the two 120mm fans doing the push-pull airflow. It comes with a MB backplate. I could lighten up on the screws. The stock cooler has no pressure adjustment. It just snaps in and is what it is.

Unless I just have a bad board with the A1 slot, if the board design is this sensitive to pressure then.....I don't know. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Biff, if you read this, you mention in the troubleshooting thread that 12GB has to run at no more than 1333MHz. Should I change that even though XMP set it at 1600? If so, do I have to manually change other values that were set by XMP?

Biff
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1522
Posted:5/28/2010 12:42:00 PM # 8
Hi Bigblu,

You should be able to run your 12 gigs at 1600Mhz bcoz you have 4 Gig sticks and running 1 dimm per channel. Its only an issue running 2 dimms per channel ie 6X2 GB.

Dont worry about the warning, 1.66v or 1.64v is fine. Run 1.64v if you're worried.

If your XMP wants 1.4 QPI/Dram volts then you should use it, at least until you fix the detection issue. Most people could do 1600Mhz with 1.35v but some memory wants more.

I would suggest reseating the CPU, ie take it out of the socket and put it back in. Make sure the stock cooler is clipped in evenly, it can be hard to do with the board in the case so take the board out of the case and fit the stock cooler.

If you do all this and you still cant boot with one stick in A1 its probably the board. Or the board doesnt like that memory, but if its on the QVL it should work.

Asus Z87Deluxe-Dual/Core i7 4770K/ Thermalright Ultra 120/Corsair Platinum 4x4GBs 1866Mhz(CMD8GX3M2A1866C9)/Intel 520 240GB SSD/Samsung 1TB HD/Pioneer Blu-ray 206BK/ Corsair AX850 PSU/MSI 680 Lightning/Samsung S23A950 120Hz /Windows 7 64bit/AudioEngine A2 Speakers/Osmium Aivia Mechanical keyboard/Krypton Aivia Mouse
bigblu91gone
Level :
Posted:5/28/2010 3:42:00 PM # 9
Thanks for responding and the clarification. The RAM is on the QVL list. I think it may be the only 4GB stick on the list. It's the Kingston HyperX.

As far as the cooler, it has a plastic clip that gets pushed through the board and it shoulders out, then you push a pin in and turn. The pushing in of the pin spreads the clip end that passed through the board and that keeps it shouldered. If you don't push the pin in, the cooler comes out.

I'll remove the CPU again like I did when I switched to the stock cooler to see if there were any bent pins. I had a big magnifying glass and saw no bent pins. I hope it isn't thought this is going to be necessary if it may fix my problem like it may have done, I guess, the last time. I figured it was the adding of the stock cooler but are you saying reseating the CPU may be the fix instead. Taking the CPU out every 2 or 3 weeks is ridiculous if that is the problem. The CPU should seat better. It's got the notches that locate it. How else can you mess that up?

Any thoughts on how CPU-Z(while running in Windows) sees the all the RAM but Windows or the bios do not?

I think I'm gonna try the aftermarket again. At least I think I can have a little control on how much pressure the cooler puts on the board except for that of just the weight of the thing which I can't change. I will remove the board to install it.

I'll stop going on. Thanks for the thoughts and the clarification on the settings. I just want to be able to see all the RAM I paid for that ASUS said was qualified by them. 

bigblu91gone
Level :
Posted:6/1/2010 10:22:00 AM # 10

I don't know if this helps anybody with this RAM issue but I have my machine seeing 12GB again. I completely emptied the case because I wanted to do some mods to it which included cutting and grinding. I cleaned it up real good after the mods and reinstalled everything including my aftermarket Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with dual fans. This time I didn't tighten the screws as much as before on the cooler retainer. I only tightened it enough to hold it down enough. The instructions for the cooler don’t give specific instructions on how far to tighten the screws. I'll keep an eye on the CPU temps.

I have to say I'm not real impressed with the Antec P183 case I'm using. The MB tray seems too flimsy that could allow cables routed behind the board tray to cause the board to warp enough for the RAM not to all show up. The MB getting slightly out of shape appears to me to be the problem in my case. I don't think just over tightening the CPU cooler could be the only cause of the issue. Anything that may be putting any pressure on the MB tray, I think, can cause this issue.

I made sure to do a very thorough clean cable route setup behind the MB tray this time to cut down on any chance of this causing a problem. I also didn't fully tighten down all the MB screws until all the expansion cards were in place.

Thanks to those who posted to help with the issue.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.