ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC T101MT  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't boot!!! New Topic
gilikindie
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:5/12/2010 11:57:00 PM # 1
it seems to be very strange, my eeepc can't boot, even the bios splash is not shown, the only signal of life is the power led, and then it can't be turned off... no other leds blinks or lights, what is wrong?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Gilikindie
Shanks
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:5/13/2010 6:58:00 AM # 2
Mine will sometimes hang like you describe with only the power and wifi leds on. If you haven't already, try holding the sliding power switch on for 5+ seconds. This will turn the computer off if it has hung. Once it has gone off, release the sliding power switch and then slide it again briefly to turn the computer on again.

gilikindie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/13/2010 1:16:00 PM # 3
Thanks bro, I have tried that before posting here. Now, from nothing it works again. What I do? really don't know, only tried to insert a ram module (without success) and later do a new try to boot and surprise! I won't that it happens again, I can start to loose confidence on my little pretty machine to do important stuff. Again thanks, and someone have a solution for this mess?

Gilikindie
Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:5/13/2010 5:28:00 PM # 4
I don't understand why you didn't say that from the start: you tried to install RAM and that failed.

And now it still doesn't boot? Did you put the original back? Did you click it in properly? Did you try to get into the BIOS (hitting F2 during boot-up) immediately after installing and powering up?

Before installing RAM (under normal circumstances you should also disable BootBooster too first in the BIOS) pull out the battery and disconnect from the power-brick.

Find out how you can clear CMOS settings for your Eee.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
gilikindie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/14/2010 11:34:00 AM # 5
hi! I've tried to install the ram AFTER the issue occur.
Anyway, I think to have the explanation for this bad problem, it can be compared with the boot issue that happens to the aspire one,  in which the netbook don't show even the bios splash. In the aspire it can be solved with a special bios flashing feature and a usb stick; windows 7 changes bios settings, overrides the settings, and it don't verifies if these are valid. The silent or quick boot features in the bios at the time that tries to run encounters a discrepancy and if the bios its not well designed it crashes, as in my case. I have a gigabyte mobo in my desktop with a silent boot feature, when windows changes the bios settings, and at the boot encounters the discrepancy, it reboots with the silent boot disabled for that time only.
Now i have disabled these bios features in my t101mt and tried to recreate the issue, without success (fortunatedly!). but, there is the floating question about how has been solved the problem. I hope that this never happens again to anyone, it's very annoying.

Gilikindie
Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:5/14/2010 6:47:00 PM # 6
So in fact by hitting F2 after you power up you COULD get into the BIOS? Because then you can disable BootBooster and Quiet Boot.

BootBooster will skip your BIOS because BIOS settings have been cached to the HDD.

Anyway, if you can disable both to get visual feedback POSTBIOS.

Standard procedure is to always disable BootBooster before changing hardware settings. ALWAYS. In your case inserting a RAM-stick is exactly that. After installing RAM you must immediately go into the BIOS only to acknowledge the RAM-count, F10+ENTER to save & exit. When your machine boots up again and runs fine you reboot it once more to enter the BIOS again and only then do you enable BootBooster.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
gilikindie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/24/2010 1:00:00 PM # 7
well, i found the clear cmos jumper, it's under the ram expansion cover, a small pair of pads without solder on the pcb, make it short (with a thin screwdriver being carefully of don't scratch the little pads) and it will clear the cmos data.
this solves the issue.

thanks to everyone that cooperate to find the answer!

Gilikindie
Miranda
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:5/27/2010 2:48:00 AM # 8
Hi, Gilikindie!
I guess I got into the same situation as you describe above. Got my brand new T101MT 3 weeks ago and knowing how easy it to mess everything with these little fellows, I tried to change as less as possible till I get better acqainted with it.

I did, however, some changes that seemed to me inocuous per se, but which, nevertheless, thogether might have caused (as I think now) the machine to stop booting exactly the way you describe: after power on it doesn't even shows the bios splash and the only sign of life are the little green and yellow leds (power and wireless) and some hd activity for a few seconds. Then - kaput....

I'll give here a short description of the changes I made (in different occasions), since I believe that might be useful information:
1) I disabled the Boot Boster and Quite Boot (assuming - maybe wrongly! - that those are a sort of extra, optional enhancements of the BIOS and I wanted to start the system in the most possible standard way so it wouldn't interfere when starting a virtual linux session from a usb flash pen);
2) not long before the crash I run the windows defragmentation tool on drive C: (it wasn't very fragmented, but I was preparing for making an image of the system using linux app. Clonezilla and I wanted to get the smallest possible image);
3)  after that, and since the escape key did not respond to show at the machine boot the menu for chosing to load the OS from the disk or the usb pen (I was using one to load linux Clonezilla and it worked several times before), I took the stupid decision of running the windows restore feature to restore the system to a previous point.

After that, the little fellow refuses to respond to any of the commands at boot: F2 (bios), F9 (recovery), F8 (win), esc... I suspect the restore action (maybe together with defragmentation) put windows back in a state before I had disabled Booster and now the system hangs because it looks for the bios copy stored in the disk... Well, that's just a guess! Any hints about what really caused this nasty situation would be very much appreciated...

I opened the RAM compartment and I tried to identify the CMOS jumper - that small "pair of pads" as you describe them, but I wasn´t able to find them... Could you please give me a more detailed description of that jumper and what steps should I follow to get the short and erase the wrong data in the CMOS?
Thanks in advance!
Joao

Miranda
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:5/27/2010 5:32:00 PM # 9
Update: situation solved!

II'd add here a short description about how I solved the boot problem with my T101MT since I believe this might occur with other users...

If/when the machine stops at boot and none of the usual command keys respond (F2, F9, F8, ESC, etc), there's still one other thing to try:
turn off the unit and press the small button on the left bottom of the screen next to the power button (it's used to rotate the screen when the unit is on). When the unit is off, it gives you access to Express Gate, a sort of independent op. system develloped by Asus. Express Gate offers a browser and a few other applications which run without the need of windows. Once there, search for the button exit. You'll be given 2 choices: turn off the machine or go to Windows. In my case, when I picked the last option, Express Gate was able to load Windows and immediatly after that appeared the Recovery menu accessed usually through F9 key at boot. So I was able to restore the system (it took about 30 mins) and get the system up and running again.
Joao

gilikindie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/29/2010 11:48:00 AM # 10
I´m sad to anounce that the little boot problem is happening again. Here's how happened: i have installed an extra ram stick and win7 x64 and lived without problems for a time (the drivers in the recovery dvd worked great), later it run nearly out of battery and i put it to hibernate, when i was capable of connect to a power outlet i managed to turn on again and the windows login appears, while typing the password the screen turns like a tv without signal intermitently between the blur and blank screen, the power switch didn´t turn it off even when i held it about a minute repeated times, so i decided to remove the batt to force shutdown. After reinstalled the battery the blue dot of doom appeared (the problem as described in the first post). I have tried removing the battery and reset cmos but nothing changes. Here is a photo of the jumper. Unfortunatedly my machine is the version without expessgate... This is very annoying, anyone has a hint about a solution? Thanks in advance.

Gilikindie
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.