ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005HAB  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]plugged in but not charging New Topic
hensey
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/9/2010 1:50:00 AM # 1
My brand new netbook is plugged in but not charging. If i take it off the mains power the battery drains as normal, but when i plug it back in - it wont charge, its stuck at 97%
Any advice?
Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Berman58
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/9/2010 10:00:00 AM # 2
When I first got my netbook it took me awhile to figure out that I had
to push the power plug in pretty hard until it made a click sound before
it would charge.

Sounds pretty silly, but just in case :)

hensey
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/10/2010 1:08:00 AM # 3
Its plugged in, thats why it says "plugged in, not charging" -So that means its running off mains power but it is not charging the battery.

Stephens
Level :
Posted:5/11/2010 12:25:00 AM # 4

I have the same exact problem and my netbook is only six weeks old.  I am so disappointed! 

It was plugged in all day yesterday and yet when I turned it on this morning, it had about 6% battery and was flashing a warning.

What to do?  I am just a user, not a computer expert.

Mike
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:5/11/2010 5:17:00 AM # 5
It could be three things; the Battery, the AC Adapter, or the DC Jack.  My first inclination is that it is the battery, for two reasons:  The first reason is the fact that the computer is showing it as plugged into power, and two, it is remaining on while the AC Adapter is plugged in.  This would seem to eliminate the AC Adapter, and the DC Jack as the culprits, because they are performing their jobs.

I would check the battery first.  Try and locate another one that you can use for testing.  If you can not find someone with one, you can purchase replacement batteries for cheap, with warranties.  Worst case scenario, if you buy a new battery, and this does not solve the issue, you at least will have an extra battery. 

If you find the battery is not the cause of the issue, I would test the AC Adapter second, and again, I would follow the same method as the battery.  Try and locate another one to test with, and if you can not find one, they can be purchased.  Then, if you find the AC Adapter is not the cause, the last thing left to check is the DC Jack.  The only real way to test if it is the DC Jack is buy putting your battery and AC Adapter together, on a known working 1005HAB.  This can possible be more difficult, if you do not know someone locally, who has one.

Pink
Level :
Posted:6/19/2010 8:24:00 AM # 6
Just Wondering if you resolved this issue? My daughter's Netbook started to do this earlier today and I've been looking for a solution. I do know I had the same issue with my Acer Netbook and it's problem was solved with a BIOS update. However my Daughter's netbook is running on version 1301 of the BIOS (i.e. the latest that I can find).

Bill
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:7/13/2010 5:06:00 PM # 7

Quote:
Author: hensey Posted: 5/9/2010 1:50:00 AM

My brand new netbook is plugged in but not charging. If i take it off the mains power the battery drains as normal, but when i plug it back in - it wont charge, its stuck at 97%
Any advice?
Thanks.

If the notebook battery is not charging or the notebook does not indicate that the battery is charging, the most likely scenario is that the battery itself is operating correctly, but its power management software may have become corrupt.

To correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager. Follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Alternatively, you can press the WinKey+Pause/Break and then go to the Hardware > Device Manager.
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.
WARNING: DO NOT remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver as doing so will create more problems than solutions.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

If this didn't solve the problem, try disconnecting the charger. Use the computer for a while until the charge goes below 90 or 85% then plug the charger again. The charging icon should now show it's charging. See if it will reach 100%. My guess here is that the battery itself, no longer the device driver, would not accept any charge for just a mere 3% job. It probably switches to trickle charge. It happens to me too at 97% when coming down from 100%.

Asus Eee PC 1005HAB, Atom N270 1.6, GMA 945, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM, 1.3MP Webcam, Wi-Fi 802.11n, Win 7 Starter
Literski
Level :
Posted:7/15/2010 3:24:00 AM # 8
My granddaughters computer has about 40% charge, but if the charger is not plugged in, it turns off the computer.  I did the above (removing Microsoft ACPICompliant Control Method Battery and then did the scan.  It looked like it was going to work, but then stopped again at 40% and turns off when I unplug the power cord. 

She has only had this a couple of months. 

HavocBR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/15/2010 12:37:00 PM # 9
Hey, I recently bought a G51jx-X5 (=A1) and noticed this annoying battery charging behavior. Then I googled a lot and got very different kinds of diagnotics. I did not get a satsfactory response. Well, I simply tried the product manuals and read the following :

"The battery starts charging when the charge remaining  in the battery drops below 95%. This prevents the battery from charging frequently. Minimizing the recharge cycles helps prolong battery life."

So we don't need to concerned about that, gracefully!!!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!!!

HavocBR Asus G51jx-X5
id
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 60
Posted:7/15/2010 2:31:00 PM # 10
align="left">Try this gadget
http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/index.html

for more info

1001P + W7ST
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.