ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G73JH  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]G73JH-A2 Bad Video New Topic
dremi
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/25/2010 3:39:00 PM # 1
While installing some software and having to reboot Laptop video displayed colored strips
on half the LCD Screen and other half rainbow affect.
Attempted to try external VGA port and video worked fine for 30 minutes and went black!
While on the external VGA port was able to uninstall software and reboot but no luck!
I have had about 12hrs on the laptop since I received the computer from the dealer on the 22nd of April. I haven't even begun to play any game...just surf the net!

Are there any good ideas on what might it be? Is it RMA time or complete replacement!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Cobb
Level :
Posted:4/26/2010 4:49:00 AM # 2
I had the same thing happen today. I bought my G73JH-A1 two days ago and while installing my software I rebooted and watched the display go to a grainy rainbow on one half and white on the other. I took it to Fry's service department and the tech told me it was a defective monitor. They took it back and gave me store credit because they were out of that model till the 30th. Sounds like you may have the same problem.

This guy said Asus told him it was the monitor also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZo25aPWps
"You Tube: A handful of other NBR users have now RMA'd their units for the same malfunction. Now coined the "(PSOD) Psychedelic Screen of Death" by (afaik) NBR user PhatBoyG, the actual view comes in different flavors, but the main similarities are left side fubar, right side psycho desktop and it has this view through BIOS and boot.

The latest malfunctions are having their screen replaced by Asus which makes sense to me as I point out that with an external monitor, the picture was fine."

dremi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/27/2010 2:28:00 AM # 3
I got mine into the shop yesterday at the request of Asus!
Well thanks for the info and the name coined for this issue! I did have a failure with the external VGA port, after 30 minutes it quit altogether.
I suspected the LCD as maybe the problem until the external VGA gave out, this would warrant a replacement unit as I do not wish to spend this kind on money on defective units and repairs in less than 30 days of purchase!
I have been an Service technician for more than 10 yrs, and did not want an HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Dell laptop. I have worked on them all! I won't say anymore!

dremi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/5/2010 8:00:00 AM # 4
Update:
Drove my Laptop to an Asus Authorized Dealer/Repair shop on Sunday 4/25. Called the following day, Not looked at it, just got on the bench! Called Tuesday 27th ask for update on what the problem might be! Was told part ordered (Video Card). Knowing part ordered and received the following day or the next, did not receive a call! Friday the 30th called and asked for status of the repair, video card was not the problem! Ordering LCD panel!
I told the tech I was calling Asus and will contact after that!
Called Asus and read them the riot act! Request Laptop go to Fremont Ca. Requested that this Laptop be replaced as it was already cracked open and could not fix the issue yet!
Asus issued a new RMA # and details on sending it to Fremont! Asus will receive Laptop on 5/5 or 5/6.
Waiting for disposition and what they will do to remedy the problem!

I have had this laptop no more than 2 days and then it failed! I haven't even played a game on it!

Tech Points : 3
Posted:5/5/2010 8:03:00 PM # 5
My G73jh-a1 bought 21.03.2010 had a PSOD on 30.04.2010.
I tell how this happened maybe it is usable by asusu technicians,but I havent seen any on G73 forum.
I  was installing Diablo 2,and when I ran D2 I have decided to change res to 800x600,so I did that and fir a sec I had a screen pink square glitch  in left lower portion of screen. I thought it was odd,but I have changed  res to 640x480 and again this pink square glitch. So I did the res change again and BAM PSOD. The backlit on the screen does not allow changing of brightness when it is in PSOD mode :)

Oh and when I shut down my G73 and booted it up next day the  stripes on the left side where only like in the 2 cm of the middle to the left. The rest to left was of pink color.

Regards
Agnieszka

dremi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/6/2010 8:12:00 AM # 6
With regards to this being about installing games and or changing resolution, this a hardware failure. It might be the LCD or the GPU or a combination of both!
At this point I haven't seen anything official coming from Asus as to what is causing this!
Sorry your having these issues and you should be contacting Asus support and speak to someone who can help recognize this ongoing problem!
 My issue with the screen was just a reboot on some updates and then strips and rainbow colors!

Booger
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/26/2010 2:47:00 AM # 7
Nine days.

I've had my G73JH for nine days. I took it out of the bag this morning to start it up. Lights come on, fans whir. Blank screen. No video to external source. FN + F7 are a wet towel.

Caps lock and num lock are stuck on.

The blue light bulb symbol on the front of the laptop is on.

Reseating the memory had zero effect on functionality.

Asus support told me to take it to Beast Buy for service. I'm not looking forward to letting Beast Buy's Gimp Squad's grubby hands touch this unit. May request an exchange replacement (I'm inside 14 days, obviously). And what kind of stupid policy is 14 days? Personally, I'm thinking big chain store corps have lost that personal touch and friendly commitment to service.

Anyone have any ideas what the blue light bulb symbol on the front of the laptop means? I'm not locating anything related to that light in materials or search.

MarkS
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 184
Posted:6/26/2010 2:55:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Booger Posted: 6/26/2010 2:47:00 AM

Anyone have any ideas what the blue light bulb symbol on the front of the laptop means? I'm not locating anything related to that light in materials or search.

Bummer.

The blue light should be power.

You could maybe try removing the battery, unplugging the unit, and using a paper clip in the reset hole on the bottom (press for at least 5 seconds).  Then plug the unit in and see if it boots.   Maybe worth a try before returning...

ASUS G73JH-A1 Intel® i7-720QM | ATI HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 17.3" FHD (1920x1080) LED | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 160GB Intel X25-M SSD | 500GB 7200rpm HDD | BD/DVDRW | Intel® Advanced-N 6200 Wireless
Booger
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/26/2010 3:24:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: MarkS Posted: 6/26/2010 2:55:00 AM

Quote:
Author: Booger Posted: 6/26/2010 2:47:00 AM

Bummer.

The blue light should be power.

You could maybe try removing the battery, unplugging the unit, and using a paper clip in the reset hole on the bottom (press for at least 5 seconds).  Then plug the unit in and see if it boots.   Maybe worth a try before returning...

Negative. Tried this earlier on a hunch.

The problem is they are all blue lights. I'm thinking you're correct, though. The blue 'light bulb' symbol is the symbol on the far left. It's status is on. The wireless symbol flashes occasionally. It looks as though it could be sitting at the login screen for Win7. Tried logging in, but audio doesn't appear to work as well. The turbo button and the other two are lit and won't shut off.

This unit lives on my work desk 8-9 hours per day for five days, but sits at home in its storage bag the remainder of the time. I was about to sell my desktop gaming PC (has Asus AM3 board with triple PCIe) and start using this as my only gaming and system, but am now having second thoughts.

I sure miss the heck out of this laptop right now. Nearly put me in tears. ;)

Due to the fact I do some classified work, the hard drives will remain with me and will be swapped by me (probably in-store).

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

MarkS
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 184
Posted:6/26/2010 3:59:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: Booger Posted: 6/26/2010 3:24:00 AM

Quote:

Negative. Tried this earlier on a hunch.

The problem is they are all blue lights.

Are all the lights other than the wireless light staying on?  

There should be (from left to right) power, battery, HD activity, and wireless lights.  I've never seen the wireless light go on and off, unless I turn the wireless on and off. 

The HD light shouldn't remain on either.  And the battery light I've never seen blue :)

Here's to a speedy recovery...

ASUS G73JH-A1 Intel® i7-720QM | ATI HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 17.3" FHD (1920x1080) LED | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 160GB Intel X25-M SSD | 500GB 7200rpm HDD | BD/DVDRW | Intel® Advanced-N 6200 Wireless
1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.