ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Desktop PC > CG5275  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]CD drive not working New Topic
san juan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/23/2010 8:14:00 AM # 1
I just received my new refurbished CG5275 desktop and have spent almost 2 days reinstalling all my software on it. I was trying to burn a windows recovery disk when  I realize that the CD/DVD drive is not recognized. There is power and it will open and close, but I don't hear it spinning disks and no CD/DVD appears in windows explorer.  I also heard a loose screw or something metallic rolling around inside the case, but didn't want to break the seal and open the case, since the sticker says it will void the warranty without sending in a registration card. There was no card. I'm gonna eventually upgrade the GPU, add another HD, and CD drive, so I'll need to get in there anyways.

I've read several user reviews and forums with people saying they had the same problem with the optical drive not running / hooked up and a loose screw rattling around. Please advise. Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
AsTheSunSets
Level :
Posted:4/27/2010 8:02:00 AM # 2

To answer your question in the other topic, yes they forgot to fully plug in one of the cables for the CD drive. I had the same problem as you, minus the loose screw or other object. First day I bought it, the CD drive would open and close but would not read the CD's. After about an hour the CD tray completely stopped working, so I opened the case and voided the warranty. I noticed one of the cables wasn't fully seated and when I plugged it in the CD drive worked. I don't know if you would rather check it yourself or go through the trouble of sending your computer in to get fixed.

san juan
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/28/2010 1:55:00 PM # 3
Thanks. My cd drive always opened and closed and showed up as a drive letter in win explorer, but didn't actually spin and read discs. I still haven't even received an email response from Asus about this issue and after all my work setting up the computer I wouldn't want to send it in anyways. I bought the refurbed ($100 bucks cheaper) one and noticed that the seal was actually broken already. That was my green light to open it and sure enough the cable was loose. Also there was a screw rolling around (could have shorted out the mobo) and another cable to the SD card slot totally unplugged. I've been into computers since the Commodore and early windows days, but this is my first Asus product and I've got mixed feelings so far about quality control and support...  Thanks for the input though.

Sr
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/19/2012 1:17:00 AM # 4
I have a similar issue, the lack of response for ASUS has also been my experience with a number of issues that include the SD card reader, Display Screen, Optical Drive and other problems. I purchased mine new, and I suspect in part the usage of recycled plastics resultes in a less durable product that does not hold up to typical usage; I have screws that no longer serve a purpose, as the plastic they press against has broken down and no longer holds casing together properly thus display is not functioning properly. I can also hear lose parts on inside, since I was never able to get support and it no longer has a warranty I will either service it myself or replace it with an alternate brand.

:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: billb New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.