ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > EAH4850 Series  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]YOUR BIOS UPDATE DOESNT WORK! [Problem] New Topic
GrStaKa
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:4/17/2010 5:15:00 AM # 1
Greetings:

Heres a Few issues with your BIOS Update, step by step, in English ( I Hope You Speak The Language).

First off, per this post:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081210223954534&board_id=9&model=EAH4850+Series&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

There are 2 BIOS updates available, 1 of which solves a crossfire issue and the other solves an over heating issue. Both of which are linked to the correct files, as I have downloaded both of them 5000 times....

When I try to run them I get this error:

"No Valid Adapter Found! Video Bios Not Updated!"

So, I still have this issue, apparently this issue has exsisted for 2+yrs. Yes, the life time of this card is about shot. The question is... do you want repeat buisness from the people that bought the card? I bought the card because it was " A Good Name."  ... hrmph?

Ok So the issue Continues and I find the ATIFLASH Tool.... and I start downloading random BIOS from random Posts that say this works or that works out of sheer desperation.

This is not good and not recommended!

Ahh well, so much for the warrenty that already has expired right?

This is how the situation goes:

Wrong bios... wrong bios... wrong bios... wrong bios.... wrong bios... wrong bios.....

If I find something that works:

AND FIX YOUR PROBLEM FOR YOU!

I will post it here for your customers....

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Mills
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/17/2010 8:52:00 AM # 2
Update: Ok Using ATIRBE

The ATIFlash Tool produces the following error:

Unable To Analyze BIOS Structure _ Debug Information_ 'Analyze Bios' reported Error.

I would not recommend modding your bios using this tool:
It is doubling all clock value's and though it states and has an option to fix the fan bug for 4xxx cards.... it can not!

So far, the only working flash I've been able to do is from DOS using a USB Boot drive on Windows 7. Using ATIFLASH ~ Not to be confused with ATIWINFLASH... as I did in the post above.

~ It seems as though several manufacturers of this card have the same issue. It is not just ASUS btw... why ASUS's tool only works on XP is beyond me!

GrStaKa
Level :
Posted:4/17/2010 2:04:00 PM # 3

OK! I've figured it out...

1) Until someone at ASUS or otherwise Takes the 15 seconds to load the BIOS update posted onto an XP machine and save it as a .BIN or .ROM, then uploads it somewhere... everyone using Windows7 or a 64bit system is S.O.L.

Sorry folks... thats my professional opinion... which I usually get paid 50-75$ an hour for...

2) The "Smart Doctor" Utility is crap. Its taking the high end of the hash values for its medium... what does that mean in English? That means that your card is shipped to you at a 550 GPU and 1050 Ram Clock. The high end, for something like ATI Overdrive, posts it at 680 (max overclock for GPU) / 1300 (max ram)... The Smart Doctor what ever it is.... STARTS with 680 / 1300... so it cranks it up WAY HIGH .... if you attempt to flash or mod the BIOS what so ever to fix your over heating issue. I'm not even going to tell you how to cope with this malfunction, because it is just that. I was able to get 1 BIOS mod to work with Smart Doctor after I realized it was doubling all the values, for the most part.... and well... No not going there. I don't want to fry anyones system or get hate mail. Not my fault if your using this "tool".

3) If you want a solid / stable machine my advice is this:

Enable ATI Overdrive in the CCC: Underclock your Vid card... open the CCC and position the temp guages in the upper left or right corner of the screen. Run 3d-mark or your favorite bench program. When the screen moves to the next test you should be able to catch a glimpse of how hot your cards running.

I can live with my card hitting 70-80c.... I'd prefer not to boil water with it... which is what it does stock under load.

EDIT: Ps: I paired aM4T78T-E ASUS mobo with a ASUS 4850 ATI Video card.. both support AMD, both are crap... I shall NEVER buy ASUS again!

I do not see the issue's with EITHER of these products resolved anytime soon. (Yes, I still get random overdrive failed on the mobo even though its 100% stable)

jorgensen
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:4/17/2010 3:15:00 PM # 4
Maybe this could be of help.
Program and info here
BIOS versions here
and a new cooler!!

GrStaKa
Level :
Posted:4/18/2010 3:29:00 AM # 5
Wrong Checksums... on all of them...

Habermacher
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 431
Posted:4/19/2010 6:03:00 AM # 6
1)Install the HP USB tool: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/34/5 2)Use it to format your USB with the USB image also on that link. 3)Download ATiflash and stick it on your USB stick 4)Save the BIOS to the stick(one correct one off the techPowerUp link). 5)Change the boot order on your BIOS so it boots form the USB stick. 6)Boot from the stick type: atiflash -i (slot no) eg. atiflash -i 0 - this will also you to see shich stlo yuor card is in. type: atiflash -s (filename) eg. atiflash -s backup.rom - this will create a backup type atiflash -p (slot no) (file name) -f eg. atiflash -p 0 bios.rom -f - this will flash your card and if you just type atiflash it will give you a list of all the commands and what they do

Amd Phenom X6 1090T, Asus Crosshair IV Formula BIOS 0602, 4x2GB OCZ C8 1600MHz, Sapphire 4890 1GB CCC 10.4, 2X250GB RAID 0, Thermaltake 1200W PSU, Win 7 Ultimate x64, Coolermaster Cosmos S
Habermacher
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 431
Posted:4/19/2010 2:58:00 PM # 7
Theres a full explanation on flashing here:http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11

Amd Phenom X6 1090T, Asus Crosshair IV Formula BIOS 0602, 4x2GB OCZ C8 1600MHz, Sapphire 4890 1GB CCC 10.4, 2X250GB RAID 0, Thermaltake 1200W PSU, Win 7 Ultimate x64, Coolermaster Cosmos S
GrStaKa
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 9:14:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Habermacher Posted: 4/19/2010 2:58:00 PM

Theres a full explanation on flashing here:http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11

I've flashed my BIOS like 6 times... "It does not work" Means that THIER BIOS Flash DOES NOT WORK!

There's no if and or but! It does not work. The BIOS does not correct the fan heat bug. The Flash download does not install. This update does NOTHING.

IT DOES NOT WORK!

The only thing that works is using a proper BIN file. Of which... there isn't one that works for EAH4850TOP cards. IF you have one for this serious of card that works post it.

Cause I had to mod my BIOS and underclock my card from factory defaults so it wouldn't blow up.

I have the fan running at 100% to keep it below 90c Gaming. If it wasn't running 100% @ Idle it is running at 80-90c ... THAT is FReakiN HOT Man!

So... I spent 150$ ? On a video card now I have to buy a new cooler and PROPER thermal to get it to run at a non-melting temp... after which.. Perhaps I can clock it at its factory settings.

IMPROPER USE OF CAPS LOCK? I DONT THINK SO!

IM PISSED!

jorgensen
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:5/3/2010 2:09:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: GrStaKa Posted: 5/2/2010 9:14:00 AM
now I have to buy a new cooler and PROPER thermal to get it to run at a non-melting temp... after which.. Perhaps I can clock it at its factory settings.

And you get an excellent card that runs very well.

Mills
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/18/2010 10:56:00 AM # 10
SWEEET!!

Still no update... just garbage about how I can go BUY MORE STUFF to make a broken card work properly...

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.