Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M2N68  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus BIOS for M2N68-LA/Narra3-GL8E New Topic
uhuhuh
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:4/12/2010 8:06:00 PM # 1
I have a HP PC with a Asus cosntructed motherboard. My problem is that I got strange loadtimes when entering windows or starting programs. I got 3GB ram and a AMD phenom 2,21x4 CPU. Ive installed XP instead of Vista so I dont have any HP software and I have control on my antivirus and startup programs. Ive tested everything. Im using the hp bios 5.13 for this board and I will remember reacting of how much slower the PC became installing this one. Ive also read about people telling about this. The problem is that you can only find the 5.13 bios and the 5.14 bios on their support page and 5.14 are told to be even worse. There are one 5.49 around but I think that one is for a newer Narra like v6. My question is if I can use any Asus bios for this motherboard?

• Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus M2N68-LA
  • HP/Compaq name: Narra3-GL8E

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18476
Posted:4/12/2010 9:13:00 PM # 2
Hi uh..

Generally that doesn't work.  The BIOS works together with a special flashing tool and most likely, if you attempted to use an Asus retail BIOS, there would be an incompatibility..  you would get an error message when you tried to flash....  Your board is not an Asus mainboard.. just a similar design made by Asus for HP...

Nevertheless, there probably is no danger in trying...  because of the incompatibilities between OEM and retail BIOS code and flashing tools, the flashing procedure wouldn't get very far...  If you attempt this, post back what happens.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
uhuhuh
Level :
Posted:4/13/2010 4:25:00 PM # 3
Thank you for your answer. I saw you other post in a similar thread just after posting this one. :/ Maybe were not talking about the same thing but Ive read about people extracting the bios from the HP biosupdate flashfile exe and flashing their motherboard wtih the bios only and awdflash or winflash. They didnt use any hp flashing tool? Or am I talking about something else? :)

Another question. Is it possible for a bios to cause this issue I got?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/13/2010 9:25:00 PM # 4
Hi uh...

The slowness of the system after your change in operating systems could be the result of a number of issues... but in general, slowdowns occur because a system is having issues getting hardware properly initialized....  or because something is using excessive processor cycles which slows everything down. 

With consumer OEM systems, there is always a special relationship between the operating system and the OEM BIOS and many OEMs will not guarantee that a system will work properly if you install a different operating system.  There is always a repair partition on the hard disk... and it may be that the system BIOS has routines that look for that partition in order to insure everything is right with the operating system file structure... that recovery or repair partition is now gone... 

As far as flashing an Asus BIOS onto the board...  as mentioned, that is usually not possible... and in addition, the actual hardware configuration on the HP board may be different from the Asus retail board...  sometimes BIOS programs contain microcode updates for specific controller firmware that may be totally incompatible between boards.  Nevertheless, if you try a revision with an Asus retail BIOS, post how it goes...  it may work flawlessly and if so, that sort of information would be extremely useful to others who have these OEM systems.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
uhuhuh
Level :
Posted:4/14/2010 4:19:00 AM # 5
As far as I can remember this loading thing happened after upgrading the bios. I have the latest drivers for all hardware. I got some plans to try win7 instead of XP.

Which asus bios should I use for this board?

Thank you for all your help!

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/14/2010 4:26:00 AM # 6
I would go ahead and try 0705...  If the revision works, you would want the latest BIOS code available...

uhuhuh
Level :
Posted:4/15/2010 12:03:00 AM # 7
This one?

Description M2N68 BIOS 0705
File Size 625.7 (KBytes)

2009/06/17 update

Why choose OP? is that just for the installation file or are there different 0705 bios depending on OP?

Thank you.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/15/2010 1:37:00 AM # 8
Hi uh..

The operating system selection doesn't apply to the BIOS... just to the system driver software... so whatever operating system you choose, you should get the exact same BIOS file options...

uhuhuh
Level :
Posted:6/15/2010 9:08:00 PM # 9
Hi again

Im still using my old crappy hp bios.

One guy at the HP Support forum told me:

"With the Narra-3 being an HP board made by Asus we're kind of stuck with what support HP gives us. HP would rather sell you a new computer than update the BIOS, so we have to look to 3rd-party solutions, the guys at this site(http://www.bios-mods.com/) are supposedly working on a BIOS for this board. You could inquire with them as to any progress. I do know that you can't flash this board with a retail Asus BIOS, something to do with the hardware setup. As it stands right now I think we are stuck with a decent board with a crappy BIOS. Sorry I'm not much help, I will post any progress on this." class="lia-message-body"> class="lia-message-body-content">

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.