ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G73JH  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Keyboard Won't Light Up After Bios Update New Topic
jbjtkbw00
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 65
Posted:3/30/2010 10:25:00 AM # 1
OK, so I'm a tweaker and I'm an update freak.  I noticed a bios update (206) was available to update to from the shipping 205 version.  Update was successful, however, the keyboard lights don't work anymore.  Is there a setting in the bios I can check or is there a way to roll back the bios update?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Buckmann
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 19
Posted:3/30/2010 5:39:00 PM # 2
I have the same problem, I updated to 206 and it was lights out on the keyboard. I then tried reverting back to 205 and it doesnt help any. At the moment I am using 206 since reverting back to 205 had no effect on the keyboard not lighting up.

G73JH-A1. Corsair p128,
grun
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/30/2010 9:33:00 PM # 3
The keyboard back lighting is turned off and on by holding down the FN key on the lower left and using the F4 key for on and F3 for off. keyboard back lighting works fine with the 206 BIOS.

Buckmann
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/31/2010 2:11:00 AM # 4

This is the most simple anwer, but albeit does not work. The keyboard does not light up at all oddly though all hotkeys work. FN and everything else works but the keyboard does not liht up from FN+F4.

I have even tried putting the original 500gig primary that has the OS that came untouched as delivered and it seems to not be a software isue.

I have been working on this for a while and it seems that the keybard was broken upon updating the bios to 206.

This persists even after reverting the bios to 205 supplied on the support page.

I would imagine this has a bit to do with it.
[URL=http://img51.imageshack.us/i/kbconf.jpg/][IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7103/kbconf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7103/kbconf.jpg

Notice the resource conflict, only problem is that the conflict doesnt show up on any other device listed in device manager.

Quote:

Author: grun Posted: 3/30/2010 9:33:00 PM

The keyboard back lighting is turned off and on by holding down the FN key on the lower left and using the F4 key for on and F3 for off. keyboard back lighting works fine with the 206 BIOS.

G73JH-A1. Corsair p128,
jbjtkbw00
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/31/2010 4:36:00 AM # 5
That was pretty much what ASUS support told me to try and I did to no effect as well. Fn + A is what they suggested (as that's 'auto'). No go. Gonna keep at this. I checked the bios for some possible setting as well and I found none. If anyone finds anything, that will be great news. It can't be hardware, so I am NOT wanting to RMA this thing over a simple bios flash failure. That would suck.

jbjtkbw00
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/31/2010 10:06:00 PM # 6
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
Support provided me with another item to try but it did not work for me. If anyone having this issue wants to give it a shot, here you go:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service. 

Please uninstall then reinstall ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities then reset BIOS then press Fn+A for a try again.
Sorry if any inconvenience.

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=G73JH&f_name=ATKPackage_XP32_Vista_Win7_100001.zip&f_type=26&os=30

BIOS Reset 
Shutdown the notebook
Start up the computer and hold F2 to enter bios
go to the exit tab and restore factory defaults.
press F10 to save and exit.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
Eleven
ASUS Customer Service"

Boyles
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/1/2010 3:30:00 AM # 7
I have the EXACT same problem...updated bios to 206 and no more backlight.
I downgraded to 205..no success on it fixing the issue....tried what has been mentioned here...nothing.
It is fairly clear that the bios update is doing something to the keyboards (maybe not all, but it seams alot)....and either there needs to be another bios released that will fix it...or perhaps the keyboards need to replaced (I read on another forum where someone had this problem, they had to send their unit in for the keyboard replacement which fixed it)

-Scotty

Buckmann
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/1/2010 5:05:00 AM # 8

I wonder if the bios updater utility has something to do with this issue?

I see some people are using the 206 bios with no issues and a few have problems. Could you guys post what method you used to update initially to 206 with?

Did you use the easy updater in the bios? Or did you use the asus windows flasher utility?

G73JH-A1. Corsair p128,
smith
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:4/1/2010 6:33:00 AM # 9
My G73 came with bios 206 already.

I lost the keyboard lights (and ability to turn them on/off with hotkeys) after my clean install of Win7. The driver/utility posted by jbjtkbw00 has fixed that, thanks.

jbjtkbw00
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/1/2010 6:36:00 AM # 10

I used the Asus windows bios flasher. 

On another note, I'm not understanding why the 'physical' keyboard would need to be replaced.  I am in agreement that another bios update could 'fix' the issue. It would have to be a pretty potent screwup for it to ruin hardware to that extent where the keyboard and all key combinations work, but just the lighting stops working.  That to me says that replacing the keyboard is an easy out vs. someone taking the time to investigate and correct a faulty bios. Why spend the time replacing all of those keyboards, paying all of that shipping when someone should perform the update on a test model, see what happens, then fix it with a bios update?  I wish I knew more about programming so I could sound smarter, but it seems fairly simple to me.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.